IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

My own conspiracy theory is it was to check out the island as a potential bolt hole for the UK cabinet and critical service leaders, military etc, just in case things got sticky.  When they saw the prom they decided against it. 

When Hitler was making plans for post Great Britain invasion the Isle of Man was to be the playground for the Nazis running GB.

We'd have done alright out of that.

From that era there are maps of Isle of Man in German. There is also a particularly extensive collection of photos throughout the Island. The maps crop up now and again on such as Ebay. The photo collection is a one off and as far as I know has never fully surfaced.

ETA:

ww-2-german-invasion-map-of-isle-of-man_11731_main_size4.jpg

From site: https://www.bulldogmilitaria.co.uk/en-GB/all-items/ww-2-german-invasion-map-of-isle-of-man/prod_11731

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Backstop? Like what..? 

ICU has 6 beds and from last year can get another 4 by converting operating theatres. After that ? What I was thinking was same as implied last year, have ability to fly patients to UK. Better to have plan and not need it that need a plan and not have it.  

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not saying it will happen. but if it does the 'backstop' will, like last time, be letting people die outside Nobles and then issuing legal threats to everyone till they hope the problem has gone away.

The testing situation hit capacity as soon a curve hit inflection, and we "screen" anyone who asks for a test. In fact, AFAIK you cannot even get LFT off IOMG as we speak, so that hit cap too. We really do not want similar situation at Noble's. Problem with one hospital on an island, is that it represents a single point of failure. I would be asking, what happens if COVID gets into high risk patients already admitted into hospital? What happens on mass staff outbreak (say ICU staff)?

5 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

ICU has 6 beds and from last year can get another 4 by converting operating theatres. After that ? What I was thinking was same as implied last year, have ability to fly patients to UK. Better to have plan and not need it that need a plan and not have it.  

Those 6 beds aren't lying around waiting for Covid customers.

They are used, all the time. Sometimes ICU is quiet sometimes it is busy, busy, busy. And that is wIthout Covid.

(I know, I have spent a lot of time in there).

ETA:

Oh, and those operating theatres aren't buckshee empty spaces, idly waiting for a pandemic to come along.

There are contingencies of course. But once you start piling in the Covid there is going to be a helluva strain on staff and equipment etc. 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I meant to ask you last time, but do you have a link for that?  There seems no significant difference between those vaccinated and not, which simply isn't plausible.   We know the vaccine has some effect, even though it's not as strong as some seem to think. 

You can get the CSV from here 

https://data.gov.il/dataset/covid-19/resource/9b623a64-f7df-4d0c-9f57-09bd99a88880

And more here

https://datadashboard.health.gov.il/COVID-19/general

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what the point of testing is any more. Apart from those entering hospital for an elective medical procedure say where it might prove best to postpone it. Or postponing a move into a care home or staff between care homes say.

The vast majority of the most vulnerable by age or condition have had two jabs which is all the mitigation you'll ever get. Those that chose not to have it will sink or swim; if they catch it a jab will be too late to change the outcome. The tests now change nothing. Apart from sending people, who have few if any sever symptoms, home from work or school. Why?

Why not let those who are well enough to work do so and those too sick to work take sick leave, like you would with a dose of flu or winter vomiting bug.

It's here, it's rampant and it'll burn itself out in a few weeks. Nothing we do now will change that. We've done all we can do to avoid the worst of it.

Government tell us we have to get on with it. So let us. And if Nobles is overwhelmed by serious cases, then they can put their emergency plan into action. There must be one.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Is it worth repurposing Ramsey as the Covid hospital?

With what staff? With what oxygen plant? With what ICU? If they had started the job back in April 2020 they might just about have a plan by now. Can you imagine the outcry at the lack of parking, public transport etc. for those visiting sick relatives...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Plague hospitals have worked well in the past. 

Sacrificing Ramsey Cottage for the sake of Noble's should be considered. 

Port Erin and the South manage just fine without a hospital. I'm sure Ramsey will adapt. 

Keep your dirty stinking illnesses in dirty stinking Douglas please!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

When Hitler was making plans for post Great Britain invasion the Isle of Man was to be the playground for the Nazis running GB.

We'd have done alright out of that.

From that era there are maps of Isle of Man in German. There is also a particularly extensive collection of photos throughout the Island. The maps crop up now and again on such as Ebay. The photo collection is a one off and as far as I know has never fully surfaced.

ETA:

ww-2-german-invasion-map-of-isle-of-man_11731_main_size4.jpg

From site: https://www.bulldogmilitaria.co.uk/en-GB/all-items/ww-2-german-invasion-map-of-isle-of-man/prod_11731

Interesting, I never knew that. 

• Like 1

I might just buy that and do a YT video on it. These days we prefer gentle invasions. By migrating here, merging into daily life and becoming part of the political sys....nevermind.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6