IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

In reaction to the IOM topping the Covid stakes:

”I suspect this may be the end of the IoM tourism sector and the TT. It will take many years to live this down.”

love reading this level of absolute bafoonary while out on a morning stroll. There doesn’t seem to be a care in the world by anyone including those choosing to wear masks that I have seen.

Saw that tripe on Twitter too this morning. Fed up of the scaremongering and whilst I'm pissed at CoMin not listening to their new EAG or health advisors... I'm really starting to turn off Dr Glover now. She's chief scaremongerer.

• Like 3

Currently reading ‘Spike’ - the story of the pandemic so far by Jeremy Farrar, a member of Sage. Cracking read. 

In it he talks about herd immunity and how scientifically it was not recommended early on, as Bojo perhaps wanted. Now however, with most people vaxxed and in the middle of summer, I don’t think it’s unreasonable. 

I’ve been to Calf Sound Cafe this morning - plenty in there - and am out tonight, hopefully, playing a gig. I’m following my own advice and just getting on with it, but will continue to take care in shops and obviously at the hospital. If I get symptoms I’ll get a test and if positive stay in for 10 days. 

At the moment covid is rampant here, but hardly any are getting properly ill. Over the next couple of weeks immunity from infections will top up our immunity from vaccinations and it’ll be done. An optimistic, pragmatic opinion - I hope. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

36 minutes ago, WTF said:

lockdown rumoured to be a real possibility the way things are going.   get your 2 jabs here and still be locked down, wonderful.

I really don't like the fact that we don't seem to have any real nuance to how measures are brought in. It's either all or nothing. There's simply no appreciation of balance or compromise.

Too many times, we've been told to crack on as normal and then thrust into a lockdown. I fundamentally don't think that's the answer this time, the risk is much lower through vaccination, and you won't have the bulk of public support. We are, frankly, too riddled with it for a short lockdown to be effective. We also can't afford it.

Kids are off school, so that vector is reduced. The weather is gorgeous, so encourage everyone outside. The beaches have been heaving and it has been great to see. Clearly encourage risk mitigations in essential places for staff and customers, healthcare, supermarkets etc. Facilitate hospitality and non-essential retail with ventilation and measures to keep their staff safe.

You can't tell everyone everything is fine when there are businesses shut because they and their staff are trying to do the right thing. The Manx Government can't afford drastic financial measures of another lockdown, and as the old adage goes, a stitch in time saves nine.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
Weird spacing
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

In reaction to the IOM topping the Covid stakes:

”I suspect this may be the end of the IoM tourism sector and the TT. It will take many years to live this down.”

love reading this level of absolute bafoonary while out on a morning stroll. There doesn’t seem to be a care in the world by anyone including those choosing to wear masks that I have seen.

Some people love this drama. It's what they now live for. To go back to a mundane life feels too uncomfortable. They want to keep this pandemic rolling for as long as possible as it gives them a soapbox whereas otherwise they would just be a normal Karen again moaning at dogs barking or loud music.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This is thing that I don't get. People just seem to be in denial of the reality of a global pandemic.

The dynamic duo's definition of 'living with it' seems to be, if you can't see it, it isn't there.

Living with it is working out how we can help businesses keep their doors open and lights on, whilst enabling them to do their best to keep people safe.

Living with it is helping the vulnerable who have been shielding for quite some time feel safe again out in the open air.

Living with it is addressing the health crises that have emerged from or been amplified by the pandemic.

Living with it isn't ignoring it and simply hoping things don't keep going tits up.

Living with it isn't plunging us all back into lockdown either if you suddenly bottle it.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That is a whole different subject but yes, of course they should be compensated. This latest ‘plan’ is to let people get on with it but the government doesn’t have to pay. Sadly they’re going to have to. 

So long as their paycheck keeps rolling in they don't care!

1 hour ago, WTF said:

lockdown rumoured to be a real possibility the way things are going.   get your 2 jabs here and still be locked down, wonderful.

I don't want a lockdown. I don't support more restrictions. 

But the previous form of Comin is that they start out bashful and confident before massively fucking up and smashing it into the hedge. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

I don't want a lockdown. I don't support more restrictions. 

But the previous form of Comin is that they start out bashful and confident before massively fucking up and smashing it into the hedge. 

Because they don't learn; and they don't listen.

I would rather restrictions than a lockdown.

• Like 1

A very well known venue in Douglas has around 20 staff off covid related but is staying open if they can as mulitple floors mean then can just cut their cloth accordingly . Logistical nightmare though . These new relaxing of measures have all to do with finances and nothing else . Hope it doesnt bite them on the bum but be surprised if it doesnt sadly . 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

If they’ve got covid they should be isolating.  The secret Pizza, for example,  has three off with covid. It’s not viable to run the place with two members of staff. It’s just not safe logistically. This IS living with it. People are going to get covid and this stage is inevitable. 

How did they know they had covid? Have they done the tests as part of being close contacts or did they get unwell so went for a test? 

I reckon there's a huge amount of people with it, 2 people in my work have had it got ill so couldn't come to work done a test then the proper test and it was positive. 

Imho this only ends when people stop getting tested. If you are sick stay off work as you would with the flu, chickenpox etc. People being off work when there is physically nothing wrong them isn't right and will continue to decimate businesses

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Currently reading ‘Spike’ - the story of the pandemic so far by Jeremy Farrar, a member of Sage. Cracking read. 

In it he talks about herd immunity and how scientifically it was not recommended early on, as Bojo perhaps wanted. Now however, with most people vaxxed and in the middle of summer, I don’t think it’s unreasonable. 

I’ve been to Calf Sound Cafe this morning - plenty in there - and am out tonight, hopefully, playing a gig. I’m following my own advice and just getting on with it, but will continue to take care in shops and obviously at the hospital. If I get symptoms I’ll get a test and if positive stay in for 10 days. 

At the moment covid is rampant here, but hardly any are getting properly ill. Over the next couple of weeks immunity from infections will top up our immunity from vaccinations and it’ll be done. An optimistic, pragmatic opinion - I hope. 

So well written. Pity this could not have been read in Tynwald yesterday. Would have saved many hours of wind. 

Edited by 747-400