IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

16 minutes ago, Raffles said:

Not sure I understand the logic in asking people who have tested positive from an LFT at home, being asked to go get a PCR test after that. 

Contact tracing has been done away with, why not ask everyone who tests positive on LFT to isolate? What is the point of another test, exposing the staff to the virus etc?

The LFT test is not accurate enough to justify ten days of isolation without PCR validation.

10 minutes ago, Raffles said:

Not sure I understand the logic in asking people who have tested positive from an LFT at home, being asked to go get a PCR test after that. 

Contact tracing has been done away with, why not ask everyone who tests positive on LFT to isolate? What is the point of another test, exposing the staff to the virus etc?

Because LFTs are unreliable and it's unfair to make someone isolate just because some crap test gets it wrong.  Though, as I've said before, I reckon the PCRs must be screwed up as well at the moment, probably due to Lab contamination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My reading is that LFTs are very reliable when they show a positive result, but not so much when showing a negative.

Personally I would rather do the isolation than go for a pcr! It would seem to make more sense to ask people to isolate and only go for a pcr if they wish to do so. Rather than telling people to go for pcr, if they get a positive lft result. 

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because LFTs are unreliable and it's unfair to make someone isolate just because some crap test gets it wrong.  Though, as I've said before, I reckon the PCRs must be screwed up as well at the moment, probably due to Lab contamination.

99.9% specificity for LFT isn't it?

Anecdotally, my friends have been taking 10 days iso (and checking positive-ness a few times over that period) if they return a positive LFT rather than bothering to wait for an appointment to get PCR tested. 

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Anecdotally, my friends have been taking 10 days iso (and checking positive-ness a few times over that period) if they return a positive LFT rather than bothering to wait for an appointment to get PCR tested. 

I can see that happening more and more.  People aren't going to bother with a PCR plus direction notice and would rather isolate on a LFT, then test through their isolation until they get a negative. 

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

And it don't work. I fixed the banner, thanks for that, whether agree with message or not good to have some sort of minimal standards. That is why I keep going on about SATS, Ofsted and Ofqual; so next generation do not end up with my gramma. 

twitter_banner.png

10 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

And it don't work. I fixed the banner, thanks for that, whether agree with message or not good to have some sort of minimal standards. That is why I keep going on about SATS, Ofsted and Ofqual; so next generation do not end up with my gramma. 

twitter_banner.png

If you want to try and scare people you should be standing in the election 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No.  That's what the propaganda from the company pushing them would have you believe, but the FDA found these to be "false or misleading" and actual issued a recall notice for the test, telling people to "Destroy the tests by placing them in the trash".  Rather than the 99% promised, a PHE analysis in April showed that it was only 82% reliable (ie more than one in six positives were false). 

And of course the real problem is the false negatives.  With self-swabbing it's probably less than 60%.  It's more accurate than that with symptomatic cases (where people probably wouldn't be going to work/school anyway), but that means it even worse with asymptomatic ones.

56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

BMJ article today - LFT specificity 99.94%, so if it says you’re positive you’re almost certainly positive. It’s sensitivity that is suspect, overall only 40%. So if you’re negative you may be positive!

• Like 2

@BenFairfax - genuinely curious, as you seem to have a very bold statement using your numbers around the future timeline of our current Covid “wave”, has your modelling been accurate to date?

Is there a simple graphical format an idiot such as myself could follow depicting your timeline, the factual timeline?

Thanks

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

Yes, but she couldn't go on the bus. I'm not asking what the family members of people in hospital positive with Covid are doing. I'm asking how a Covid positive person can be discharged if they have no-one to take them home.

Pre booked taxi, ambulance, patient transport or family member driving. You really are over thinking.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Or a local authority. Onchan binmen might die if you don’t double bag your rubbish and quarantine your snotty hankies for 72 hours. Absolute rubbish https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/protect-bin-men-from-virus-plea/

Because apart from covid, there’s literally zero health risk from everything else that people put in the bin. I had a similar conversation with a cleaner worried they could catch covid from cleaning a toilet - presumably before covid they didn’t bother washing hands and were quite happy to generate aerosols while cleaning out the bowl :rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Or a local authority. Onchan binmen might die if you don’t double bag your rubbish and quarantine your snotty hankies for 72 hours. Absolute rubbish https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/protect-bin-men-from-virus-plea/

Most bin men don't touch the rubbish, the wheelie bins are wheeled to the lorry which picks them up and empties them.  I am starting to despair!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Raffles said:

Absolutely. If it comes back positive you are surely at least 99.9% sure to be positive. 

I think the reason for the PCR is to make it a legal obligation.

• Like 1