IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No "The COVID 19 Daily Update Dashboard is updated at 3pm each day."

But in any case the differences between two sets of figures in the series should be consistent if you're just looking at the changes.

Thought I’d heard / read that there was also an overnight update around 9am. 

I like that you’re quoting the dodgy dashboard though. 

35 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Thought I’d heard / read that there was also an overnight update around 9am. 

I like that you’re quoting the dodgy dashboard though. 

6 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Well it may be dodgy, but it's the only dashboard we have.

But the Manx Radio explanation is complete rubbish.  It doesn't matter how many times it has been updated in a period, the figures should still match up with each other.   

The 'Investigated Cases' is a rolling total and the increase in it over any period (no matter how many updates there have been) should be the same as the increase in Active cases (after allowing for 'recoveries').  And it usually is.

But this increase must logically also be the same as the number of 'New cases' .  And it consistently has been wildly different over the last two weeks.  With the 'new cases' being a lot less except in the last couple of days.  And of course it's this imaginary number of new cases which the media look at.

What I find shocking about this isn't just that this is obviously wrong, it that it should be obviously so to any politician, journalist or Manx Care/DHSC worker who looks at them.  It's basic common sense, not higher mathematics.  Why isn't there more fuss about this or has everyone else just given up on expecting any sense out of Ashford and his minions?

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

isn't there more fuss about this or has everyone else just given up on expecting any sense out of Ashford and his minions?

Bingo! Yahtzee! You win the stuffed toy of your choice. After about 12-15 months of zero help or support from government, I know I've given up caring about it. Had 2+2 as have all my close family and friends. Done my bit and now grafting to recover significant losses over the last 2 years.

No loans to repay and when they inevitably try to claw back some of the Covid costs through taxation (direct and indirect) then I'll keep putting up my prices while the opportunity arises. After all with all the shortages and inflation working through it's going to take cash to survive.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well it may be dodgy, but it's the only dashboard we have.

But the Manx Radio explanation is complete rubbish.  It doesn't matter how many times it has been updated in a period, the figures should still match up with each other.   

The 'Investigated Cases' is a rolling total and the increase in it over any period (no matter how many updates there have been) should be the same as the increase in Active cases (after allowing for 'recoveries').  And it usually is.

But this increase must logically also be the same as the number of 'New cases' .  And it consistently has been wildly different over the last two weeks.  With the 'new cases' being a lot less except in the last couple of days.  And of course it's this imaginary number of new cases which the media look at.

What I find shocking about this isn't just that this is obviously wrong, it that it should be obviously so to any politician, journalist or Manx Care/DHSC worker who looks at them.  It's basic common sense, not higher mathematics.  Why isn't there more fuss about this or has everyone else just given up on expecting any sense out of Ashford and his minions?

I wonder if this is an issue with the inputters not being conversant with the intricacies of the dashboard?  It is nonetheless embarrassing that the numbers are not tallying.  Ashford, as Minister, should really be asking questions a s to why the only public facing dashboard is so riddled with nonsensical maths. 

On a separate, although linked note, I found this report rather illuminating as to the mindset and mis placed penny pinching attitude, that underpins the whole approach to the pandemic.  COMIN's circumspect attitude often leads to more problems and eventually more expenditure, an illustration of which is the LFT that both Quayle and Ashford have attempted to put a positive spin on- something they hoped would be a piecemeal offering and somewhat inconsequential - they misjudged the mood of the GMP, not for the first time.

Lab only funded for 200 PCR tests per day - Manx Radio

'Clinical advice' prompts change in LFT recommendations - Manx Radio

Edited by Hmmmm
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

I wonder if this is an issue with the inputters not being conversant with the intricacies of the dashboard?  It is nonetheless embarrassing that the numbers are not tallying.  Ashford, as Minister, should really be asking questions a s to why the only public facing dashboard is so riddled with nonsensical maths. 

On a separate, although linked note, I found this report rather illuminating as to the mindset and mis placed penny pinching attitude, that underpins the whole approach to the pandemic.  COMIN's circumspect attitude often leads to more problems and eventually more expenditure, an illustration of which is the LFT that both Quayle and Ashford have attempted to put a positive spin on- something they hoped would be a piecemeal offering and somewhat inconsequential - they misjudged the mood of the GMP, not for the first time.

Lab only funded for 200 PCR tests per day - Manx Radio

There is a very simple explanation for the errors.

A) They could not give a sh1t

B) They are not the smartest of people in the islands CS

C) Repeat

It really is embarrassing this amount of incompetence and we wonder why the prom takes so long............

P.S. There are no "intricacies" in the dashboard, its a simple Microsoft APP.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 2

So apparently 100,000 tests have been delivered to the island but these were single tests, not seven test kits as given out for free in the UK (I just picked up the below in Liverpool). With seven tests being given to every person they’ve already run out again? Can anyone confirm? 

5E9DBE78-7B0A-4F7E-AD9A-A25918D5C518.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

It is a very very simple powerbi dashboard.  The people entering the data need not have the slightest idea how it works.

In fact no one should be entering any data specific for the dashboard.  It should just be puling existing date through simple queries- but there are probably 15 sets of data all individually input and cross checked by 10 different civil servants.

It is so simple it is comical.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

So apparently 100,000 tests have been delivered to the island but these were single tests, not seven test kits as given out for free in the UK (I just picked up the below in Liverpool). With seven tests being given to every person they’ve already run out again? Can anyone confirm? 

That is 100% the kind of LIE our government puts out, they are totally shameless. (They made it known there were 400K kits due)

And YES they have run out again at my chemist at lunchtime today, sure its the same all over if only 100K got delivered not the 400K KITS they said were due.

I would not mind a sporting bet that the gov have paid for 400K "items" expecting 7 unit kits but have only got single straws but have paid the going rate for 7 unit items.

That kind of mistake happens so often on the island you would cry if you knew the truth.

Edited by Boris Johnson

39 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I had family in UK post me a few boxes of these from UK. Are we not using these same NHS packs?

37 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

It is a very very simple powerbi dashboard.  The people entering the data need not have the slightest idea how it works.

In fact no one should be entering any data specific for the dashboard.  It should just be puling existing date through simple queries- but there are probably 15 sets of data all individually input and cross checked by 10 different civil servants.

It is so simple it is comical.

I suspect a lot of this has to do with them fiddling with the underlying spreadsheet column names and data. They are constantly changing the definitions.

52 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

It is nonetheless embarrassing that the numbers are not tallying.  Ashford, as Minister

These dashboards fall under Cabinet Office (Covid Response Team) the Minister is Quayle.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I had family in UK post me a few boxes of these from UK. Are we not using these same NHS packs?

I posted it on Twitter and some local tweeps were saying they didn’t get these kits in IOM but instead received seven individual kits from the local pharmacy. Hence me wanting to confirm and see if someone here had the same experience? I picked these NHS kits up just out of interest at a boots in Liverpool city centre. No queues and plenty of stock. They give you one per person with seven tests in it and explain how to use them. Seems quite well organised. 

Copied from a FB post.

Lets get some tourists over and treat them like crap

From a friend on her holidays!!

Today’s adventure so far.... Caught the no.1 bus to Douglas - bought the £18 hopper bus/train travel ticket heading for Port Erin..🚌 - got off the bus at the terminal was planning to catch the steam train 🚂.... then we realised the bus was going to Port Erin so got back onto the no.1 bus 🚍🚌😂... 😂
Hopped off the bus at Port Erin train station in the pouring rain... Booking Office Closed Tuesday 😢🤦‍♀️. No Steam Trains either until Thursday!
We hopped back onto the no.1 bus 🚌 and the driver said ‘you can’t use the ticket again it’s a used ride so you’ll have to pay again 😠👀... I said “seriously” he was serious and so was I!!😠👀😠.  I reminded him that it was a hopper ticket to use any bus on the island any time... allegedly...  so after a few more exchanged words he said “if the ticket scans again you can travel... if not...”?
So right enough the ticket scanned again so we’re still on the same No.1 bus now heading back to Douglas to head to Peel😂😂😂😂🤦‍♀️🚌🚌🚌😂😂😂. Hopefully away from the rain... 
We’ve swapped seats three times around the bus..... 
It’s only dawned on us that the first driver who sold us the bus/train travel ticket should have known that there are no trains Tues & Weds.... I guess that’s a phone call to IOM travel co..... 
All in All a bus tour so far.... looking forward to Peel for some nice lunch and a sip of squash or something pleasing 🚌👀🍹🍹🍹😎😂

Good to see our friends at Isle of Man Transport being so helpful to our tourists.”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1