IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well it may be dodgy, but it's the only dashboard we have.

But the Manx Radio explanation is complete rubbish.  It doesn't matter how many times it has been updated in a period, the figures should still match up with each other.   

The 'Investigated Cases' is a rolling total and the increase in it over any period (no matter how many updates there have been) should be the same as the increase in Active cases (after allowing for 'recoveries').  And it usually is.

But this increase must logically also be the same as the number of 'New cases' .  And it consistently has been wildly different over the last two weeks.  With the 'new cases' being a lot less except in the last couple of days.  And of course it's this imaginary number of new cases which the media look at.

What I find shocking about this isn't just that this is obviously wrong, it that it should be obviously so to any politician, journalist or Manx Care/DHSC worker who looks at them.  It's basic common sense, not higher mathematics.  Why isn't there more fuss about this or has everyone else just given up on expecting any sense out of Ashford and his minions?

I think apart from a hardcore few nobody really cares anymore hence why no fuss

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Copied from a FB post.

Lets get some tourists over and treat them like crap

From a friend on her holidays!!

Today’s adventure so far.... Caught the no.1 bus to Douglas - bought the £18 hopper bus/train travel ticket heading for Port Erin..🚌 - got off the bus at the terminal was planning to catch the steam train 🚂.... then we realised the bus was going to Port Erin so got back onto the no.1 bus 🚍🚌😂... 😂
Hopped off the bus at Port Erin train station in the pouring rain... Booking Office Closed Tuesday 😢🤦‍♀️. No Steam Trains either until Thursday!
We hopped back onto the no.1 bus 🚌 and the driver said ‘you can’t use the ticket again it’s a used ride so you’ll have to pay again 😠👀... I said “seriously” he was serious and so was I!!😠👀😠.  I reminded him that it was a hopper ticket to use any bus on the island any time... allegedly...  so after a few more exchanged words he said “if the ticket scans again you can travel... if not...”?
So right enough the ticket scanned again so we’re still on the same No.1 bus now heading back to Douglas to head to Peel😂😂😂😂🤦‍♀️🚌🚌🚌😂😂😂. Hopefully away from the rain... 
We’ve swapped seats three times around the bus..... 
It’s only dawned on us that the first driver who sold us the bus/train travel ticket should have known that there are no trains Tues & Weds.... I guess that’s a phone call to IOM travel co..... 
All in All a bus tour so far.... looking forward to Peel for some nice lunch and a sip of squash or something pleasing 🚌👀🍹🍹🍹😎😂

Good to see our friends at Isle of Man Transport being so helpful to our tourists.”

I understood very little of that. Where were your friends going to? Seems a very confused itinerary. Did they not have a printed timetable or internet access to check out the times of the trains/ buses to Port Erin, Douglas and Peel. 
Don’t blame IOM transport they have made all the relevant information publicly available. 

But the bus driver seems a bit of an idiot

Hope your friends had a nice lunch in Peel.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I understood very little of that. Where were your friends going to? Seems a very confused itinerary. Did they not have a printed timetable or internet access to check out the times of the trains/ buses to Port Erin, Douglas and Peel. 
Don’t blame IOM transport they have made all the relevant information publicly available. 

But the bus driver seems a bit of an idiot

Hope your friends had a nice lunch in Peel.

They aren’t my friends.  No idea who they are.  Just copied it from FB (like I said in the post)

The general Message was that why would anyone attracted here in the school Holidays and by the open ish borders expect some of our main “attractions” to be closed.

The place is a joke, but at least it is busy

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/six-residential-homes-closed-due-to-covid-spread/

6 homes closed to admissions and visitors. So no one can be transferred out of hospital. So that takes up bed space on Medicall wards (usually). So that a means surgery and ortho beds have to be used to accommodate medical patients overspill. PPU stays shut because David says it has to (so Manx Care cannot use it) So elective surgery cancelled. Surgical patients have to stay on lists. People stay in pain. More analgesic medication needed. Contact GP for more prescriptions. GPs overwhelmed. Merry - go - round care.

Plates keep spinning. 

Simples..Tch !

27 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

They aren’t my friends.  No idea who they are.  Just copied it from FB (like I said in the post)

The general Message was that why would anyone attracted here in the school Holidays and by the open ish borders expect some of our main “attractions” to be closed.

The place is a joke, but at least it is busy

OK apologies that these people weren’t your friends. You could contact them on Facebook and ask them to be your friends if you were so inclined.

But given the times we live in it would be a big assumption by these folk that everything is here as everywhere is as it was a couple of years ago. But the bus, Steam train and MER timetables ,as far as I know are not made up. Probably says more about people on Facebook.

I don’t think the place is a joke. I’ve lived here for many decades and have never felt the need to laugh at it. Like all places it has its idiosyncrasies, part of its charm I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK apologies that these people weren’t your friends. You could contact them on Facebook and ask them to be your friends if you were so inclined.

But given the times we live in it would be a big assumption by these folk that everything is here as everywhere is as it was a couple of years ago. But the bus, Steam train and MER timetables ,as far as I know are not made up. Probably says more about people on Facebook.

I don’t think the place is a joke. I’ve lived here for many decades and have never felt the need to laugh at it. Like all places it has its idiosyncrasies, part of its charm I guess.

Fair enough.

Main tourist attractions being closed in peak tourist season must be idiosyncratic.

Got to be honest if I was in London at the end of July I wouldn’t be checking if the main attractions were open because it was tuesday.

if you can’t see the multiple things that are wrong with the island that could be fixed so incredibly easily then fair enough.

I and lots of others can.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Fair enough.

Main tourist attractions being closed in peak tourist season must be idiosyncratic.

Got to be honest if I was in London at the end of July I wouldn’t be checking if the main attractions were open because it was tuesday.

if you can’t see the multiple things that are wrong with the island that could be fixed so incredibly easily then fair enough.

I and lots of others can.

But we are in a pandemic.

Lots of things that would normally be open are not,be that here, Cornwall, Bradford or London etc Have you not watched the national (UK) news about places not being able to open because of staff shortages due to people isolating? I watched a news programs ( North West tonight I think, about train services there being af because of staff shortages. You should check.

Did you go to Tokyo last year thinking the Olympics would be on?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But we are in a pandemic.

Lots of things that would normally be open are not,be that here, Cornwall, Bradford or London etc Have you not watched the national (UK) news about places not being able to open because of staff shortages due to people isolating? I watched a news programs ( North West tonight I think, about train services there being af because of staff shortages. You should check.

Did you go to Tokyo last year thinking the Olympics would be on?

These “summer schedules” were set weeks ago.  Nothing to do with staff shortages, just our government being crap again.

This summer tourist season should have seen extended opening hours and loads more staff employed than they needed to take advantage of the position we are in right now.

Instead the people who have come here are leaving dissatisfied and unlikely to ever come back.

I understand you think it is acceptable.  Good for you.  I am embarrassed by it.

How hard is it to open peel Castle ffs? There are tourists stood outside several times a week wondering why it is closed - it’s embarrassing 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

These “summer schedules” were set weeks ago.  Nothing to do with staff shortages, just our government being crap again.

This summer tourist season should have seen extended opening hours and loads more staff employed than they needed to take advantage of the position we are in right now.

Instead the people who have come here are leaving dissatisfied and unlikely to ever come back.

I understand you think it is acceptable.  Good for you.  I am embarrassed by it.

How hard is it to open peel Castle ffs? There are tourists stood outside several times a week wondering why it is closed - it’s embarrassing 

Simple really . Once the decided to open borders the Heritage sites and the likes should have been open. No excuse its just incompetence in not ensuring they were. Joined up thinking which IOMGovt doesn't do.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Yep, Manx National Heritage, the Government or whatever said let’s close for no good reason.

It will piss tourists off and we we will lose revenue. Hurrah Hurrah.

Why do you think, in your eyes, the Government have adopted this policy, rather than just “being crap”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yep, Manx National Heritage, the Government or whatever said let’s close for no good reason.

It will piss tourists off and we we will lose revenue. Hurrah Hurrah.

Why do you think, in your eyes, the Government have adopted this policy, rather than just “being crap”

You are a lost cause.  I don’t know who you are or where you spent your “decades” but I guess I am working now to pay for your pension.

It's a cunning plan, don't you see. Don't open or run the loss making tourist attractions where they'd wander aimlessly afor a few hours spending very little money but just bring in hundreds of tourists and make them wander round our beleaguered towns and villages looking for toilets, buying nicknacks in the odd charity shop and paying for expensive coffees, ice creams, gelato's and artisan breads et al. And bar meals and restaurants when we have no other entertainment available.
It's the economy don't you know.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Simple really . Once the decided to open borders the Heritage sites and the likes should have been open. No excuse its just incompetence in not ensuring they were. Joined up thinking which IOMGovt doesn't do.  

Actually most of them are open, but MNH (and to a lesser extent the Railways) have two problems.  The first is money - the additional staff needed to open these sites will need paying for and won't have been budgeted for.  Income from the sites will be minimal so far and won't be as high as normal for the rest of the season.  So they will need additional money which they got about a fortnight ago.

The second problem is people.  These sites are usually operated by seasonal staff, some of whom will be on permanent contracts but most of whom are Bank workers ie zero hours.  Some of those will have found other jobs or decided not to bother this year or not feel happy about a lot of contact with the public.  From observation, most of these staff are post- or near-retirement age and these will be jobs for extra income rather than for living, and those that do need the money will have got something else.

So there won't have been time to recruit and instruct new people and the only practical way to open up will be with reduced days of opening.  Usually five,  which means that year-round staff won't need substituting.