IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

Well another morning wasted trying to get hold of LFT tests, where have they all gone? Everyone is supposed to have access to two a week. 100,000 kits delivered so that should be 1 kit for every person on the IOM and yet they’re nowhere to be found.

I think most places were allowing 7 packs per person

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

Well another morning wasted trying to get hold of LFT tests, where have they all gone? Everyone is supposed to have access to two a week. 100,000 kits delivered so that should be 1 kit for every person on the IOM and yet they’re nowhere to be found.

Didn't @amadeus establish it was 100k tests and not kits? Ie only about 14k kits? Still a lot mind..

9 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Didn't @amadeus establish it was 100k tests and not kits? Ie only about 14k kits? Still a lot mind..

Yes it's 100k tests so based on a "kit" being 7 tests and with currently around 2,000 active cases, if each of them has 7 close contacts, that's the 14k "kits" used up.

Seems as though there should be more on the way, but probably only once someone realises that we are out and places another order which will be here in a week or so.... 

Shame they didn't order 700k tests (100k kits) - might have been enough then.

Edited by Manx Yeller
Clarification

34 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Civil defence were handing them out a various locations last 2 nights. No queues and they seemed to have plenty.

24 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Why is everyone being given 7 tests when people are expected to do 2 a week? I just wanted one before my hospital appointment this week and next week before I travel.

Probably because the government website doesn't seem to have any reference to 2 a week and in fact says:

Home testing kits

If you have been encouraged by contact tracing as a close contact to take part in a free-seven day home testing scheme, you can collect your Home test kits – called lateral flow devices –from participating pharmacies. Please check the pharmacies list below to see which pharmacy closest to you is offering this collection service.

If you are doing the home testing course you will be encouraged to take a test every day for seven days from when you are identified as a close contact. An anonymous online reporting system is available for people to confirm their negative results.

Just heard a disturbing (if true) story of community nursing staff being 'mugged' coming out of a pharmacy for lateral flow kits.  Unbelievable.

I can't understand the demand for them.  They're only really useful in symptomatic cases - in my view the false negative rate, especially when asymptomatic, is too high to be meaningful.  Are LFTs the 2021 equivalent of last year's toilet paper wars? 

If asymptomatic and vaxxed - get on with life, while being responsible in public enclosed spaces.  That is all.

• Like 3

Why are people wasting hours of their lives trying to find a test kit?  I don’t understand?  Truly bizarre behaviour.

Noticed the Tea Junction asking people to take temperatures on entry.  I saw one person use it while I was there.  Everyone else ignored it or turned around and went somewhere else.

Cant wait for the day we just stop testing and crack on.  Hundreds of thousands of pound on stupid kits, loads of hours wasted, staff getting abuse.  All for what? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Just heard a disturbing (if true) story of community nursing staff being 'mugged' coming out of a pharmacy for lateral flow kits.  Unbelievable.

I can't understand the demand for them.  They're only really useful in symptomatic cases - in my view the false negative rate, especially when asymptomatic, is too high to be meaningful.  Are LFTs the 2021 equivalent of last year's toilet paper wars? 

If asymptomatic and vaxxed - get on with life, while being responsible in public enclosed spaces.  That is all.

Is it not part of social responsibility to test before entering a health care setting? because I wouldn’t say that’s unreasonable?
I’d also rather know I was negative before travelling, partly because I don’t want to spread it and if I was to end up ill I’d rather not end up in a UK hospital.

• Like 1