IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They probably were.  As I've said before many of them seem to have been EHOs who do this sort of thing as part of their job.  The trouble is that there weren't very many of them and there seems to have been no effort made to train others for use when demand increased.  DHSC seems not to have really grasped how epidemics work, with rapid increases in the need for for testing, tracing and so on taking them by surprise every time it happens.

They really weren’t.  Well, not the one I know anyway.  Previous work experience was al retail 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

19 now in Nobles (2 in ICU). The red line of 30 is getting close 😐

Yes. I wonder at what stage the Govt have to re visit mitigation stage (masks etc) - particularly with numbers increasing in hospital and ICU today?

20 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

19 now in Nobles (2 in ICU). The red line of 30 is getting close 😐

In terms of this 'wave', I think we peaked in cases last weekend, i.e. 7-10 days ago.  Covid admissions tend to lag cases by about a week, so we've probably just peaked with admissions.  This doesn't mean occupancy of the hospital has peaked, which may be a bit later depending on length of stay.

I hope we won't get to 30, but even if we do it probably shouldn't be used as a 'hard' red line.  The position is far more blurred and open to interpretation than a single figure can convey.  Even deciding between 'admitted with' and 'admitted because of' is somewhat subjective.  That's not to say that 'admitted with' doesn't have an effect, in terms of PPE/isolation/safe discharge.  In terms of public perception we need to know that we're not approaching a hospital breakdown situation like we saw in Italy last year.  So far we're not.

Edited by wrighty
Grammatical accuracy
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

In terms of this 'wave', I think we peaked in cases last weekend, i.e. 7-10 days ago.  Covid admissions tend to lag cases by about a week, so we've probably just peaked with admissions.  This doesn't mean occupancy of the hospital has peaked, which may be a bit later depending on length of stay.

I hope we won't get to 30, but even if we do it probably shouldn't be used as a 'hard' red line.  The position is far more blurred and open to interpretation than a single figure can convey.  Even deciding between 'admitted with' and 'admitted because of' is somewhat subjective.  That's not to say that 'admitted with' doesn't have an effect, in terms of PPE/isolation/safe discharge.  In terms of public perception we need to know that we're not approaching a hospital breakdown situation like we saw in Italy last year.  So far we're not.

Thanks @wrighty

I only mention the 30 as that was the response from David Ashford when I asked him what their red line would be for the hospital during mitigation.

Appreciate the update. 

16 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

The latest coming out of CDC makes it seem like vaxed/unvaxxed have very little difference in terms of transmissibility of the virus. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/29/1022580439/a-cdc-internal-report-says-the-delta-variant-is-more-transmissible-than-a-cold

But the vaccine will keep the vast, vast majority out of hospital and protect against serious illness. You forgot to mention that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But the vaccine will keep the vast, vast majority out of hospital and protect against serious illness. You forgot to mention that.

We were referring to MNH reason to only allow 2+2 vaccinated on to Calf of Man here though...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

They probably were.  As I've said before many of them seem to have been EHOs who do this sort of thing as part of their job.  The trouble is that there weren't very many of them and there seems to have been no effort made to train others for use when demand increased.  DHSC seems not to have really grasped how epidemics work, with rapid increases in the need for for testing, tracing and so on taking them by surprise every time it happens.

Cabinet Office not DHSC running 111. To me it seems it's more CoMin that is causing the issue and ignoring advice that has been given to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1