IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m going to be interested to see if any of the mask wearers kick off today about people still not wearing masks after last nights announcement. 

Quite a lot in Tesco last night wearing,personally I don’t as I was only in for 15 minutes 

37 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are of course quite correct. At the time of our opening up(which I supported) I posted that it was too gung ho to just think it was ok to do that with no mitigations at all, especially as we did not have enough % of population properly vaccinated.

Now we have that greater % vaccinated but with a situation where the infection rate is clearly higher than goverment can stomach we are bringing in simple and effective  mitigations. Too late?

No they are just reaffirming, for the people who can't think for themselves, that if you are worried in any way then take your own sensible precautions. 

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

So you agree then. Often you say things just to solicit the maximum number of likes from your audience rather than what’s actually accurate and fair.

If you're going to lay down the law of what people say on the internet, it's probably a good idea to read what they said first.  Rather than what you hoped they would say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danoo said:

No they are just reaffirming, for the people who can't think for themselves, that if you are worried in any way then take your own sensible precautions. 

Whilst I support your sentiment that's not quite true as I remember it. Adding masks and avoiding busy places only became the government's advice after the infection rate started to rise sharply. 

Whilst it's true we can all make our own decisions, the debate was over what mitigations the government could have advised or put in place. As I remember it was crack on!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Whilst I support your sentiment that's not quite true as I remember it. Adding masks and avoiding busy places only became the government's advice after the infection rate started to rise sharply. 

Whilst it's true we can all make our own decisions, the debate was over what mitigations the government could have advised or put in place. As I remember it was crack on!

I believe the Chief Minister's attitude was summed up when he was asked if visitors should be wearing masks and he responded with "we can't ask visitors to wear masks".

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

What law have I laid down? Ben’s reply was really pretty clear. 

Indeed it was, but it wasn't what you thought he said.  Even the bit you quoted:

I get sucked into equating the value of someone's views with the number of followers/likes etc Sorry, bit off topic, but I miss the days when the message was all that counted.   

Clearly means that he personally gets misled by the 'popularity' of the person making a statement, rather than the content.  You read that as meaning that Ben says things for popularity rather than what he sees as truth:

So you agree then. Often you say things just to solicit the maximum number of likes from your audience rather than what’s actually accurate and fair.

But it's a long way away from that.  Even if the people he was misled by were doing that (and there's no indication that they were being dishonest rather than just wrong) it wouldn't imply that Ben would then follow the same strategy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You read that as meaning that Ben says things for popularity rather than what he sees as truth:

I said we are all 'attention seeking freaks', with celebrity you also have knock on effect of fandom. Where people with no personal connection to the rock star will defend and support them without question. But celebrity is two-sided coin, you get attention (at least short term until next boy/girl band turns up), thereafter you tour small venues endlessly playing songs you wrote 20 years ago, to overweight middle-aged people trying desperately to relive their youth. The Rock Star cannot escape the image the fans project onto them, they become a caricature of themselves, and forever unable to age with grace and dignity. In this context the IoM celebrities will pay the price by forever being frozen in time with their fans demanding endless renditions of their 'COVID Songs', be that waiting in the bank, or Tesco or just sitting on the boat.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

I agree.

Ashford out!!

My mate a fan of Ashford, what amazes me is he always has an answer, and just imagine the unbelievable amount grief he has had to put up with for 16 months. When he signed up, must have thought job will not be that bad, get usual moaners but that part of job, and then COVID hit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Apple said:

Did you factor in anything for political interference ? The issue of home closures has not gone down very well I understand.

I did not, was purely thinking in terms of risk/reward on offer now. Since we have 3 week gap for Biotec for Care Home population, they now also face wane in the vaccine's efficacy, 2nd jab over 6mths ago, at least according to this study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.21261159v1

The CM favourite "doomed if you do and doomed if you do not", likely applies here.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

My mate a fan of Ashford, what amazes me is he always has an answer, and just imagine the unbelievable amount grief he has had to put up with for 16 months. When he signed up, must have thought job will not be that bad, get usual moaners but that part of job, and then COVID hit.

He's out of his depth and his opinions on everything are just that. He's so far above his station its untrue . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have said it before but I don't understand why people are still accepting restrictions on who can travel here and testing of some individuals when there has simply been no mention made of the attached from the exit framework?

Are people really just happy to live with these measures in place when they no longer server any useful purpose?

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 15.23.22.png

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 15.27.50.png

Edited by Ramseyboi