IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

50 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

Well EAG group still advising Comin with some obvious but nonetheless sensible questions, particularly around employment and schools returning.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/lft-supplies-need-increasing-significantly/

They are increasingly becoming an irrelevant group of arm wavers wanting to shout loudest to be heard. We don't need this group anymore, we have moved on past needing them. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Nah.  Just do the same as we do for every other illness.

If you are to ill to work stay at home, otherwise crack on as normal and stop all the pointless testing. There is no evidence here or in UK that a vaccinated population isn’t able to cope and if we keep up with this nonsense where does it ever end?

I can already see a future where a sneeze sees you chased out of the office or pub.  It’s insane.

Last year we needed to see how it worked out and wait for jabs.  Now we need to forget about it and get back to normal ASAP.

Problem is that so many people are now so scared despite absolutely tiny risks that the general public will no longer see any risk of flu or COVID killing people as acceptable.

Spot on. 

Edited by Danoo

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well. HQ is stepping down soon and DA, well, we might be stuck with that arm waver yet. 

Certain members of that group would otherwise be insignificant members of Manx society whom no-one had heard of. They don't want to let that fame disappear too quickly.

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

I can’t remember my quote, but to get R=1.1 overnight down from 3.35 that would mean mandatory measures. Whatever we’re seeing, it ain’t that. Behaviour now, as far as I can tell, is “Covid? Meh!” - apart from the odd mask there’s nothing. 

I think we genuinely peaked in cases just over a week ago. If we’re seeing effective R at 1.1 it’s due to herd immunity. There also does not appear to be a massive hike in hospital admissions.  Bed occupancy in the hospital is climbing, but I think this is in part due to difficulty with discharge rather than wards filling up with patients on ventilators. 

The only reasons the numbers aren't as high as the other week's 200+ daily numbers is that that people are not bothering with 111 and PCR tests anymore so the daily number we are getting is not accurate by quite a lot. I know of so many people who are just using lateral flow tests, isolating and then cracking on once the 10 days and negative lateral flow tests are out of the way.....it appears (from my personal anecdotal evidence plus everyone I am speaking to) the bulk of people are doing this. In no way has this peaked yet and unfortunately, due to the way they have made getting a PCR test such a faff, we are not going to have accurrate numbers to be able accurrate assessments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Certain members of that group would otherwise be insignificant members of Manx society whom no-one had heard of. They don't want to let that fame disappear too quickly.

While I don't agree with the caution the EAG have expressed I don't think they deserve any shit. This is a bad take.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Danoo said:

They are increasingly becoming an irrelevant group of arm wavers wanting to shout loudest to be heard. We don't need this group anymore, we have moved on past needing them. 

They were used as a smoke screen, and the plan was fixed in stone and came down the pipe from Public Health England, as run in British Virgin Islands, Jersey, and soon the UK. Choice was vax kids or mass infection in kids with some spillover, JCVI choose mass infection.

• Like 2