IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, piebaps said:

No they're not. He said the earliest they could open would be 1st June. But that was conditional.

That's how I read it so September seems the more likely option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

Okay, let me start with the most extreme relaxation option. Is there any clinical reason to object to the vast majority getting back to normal (with track and trace and SD where practical), leaving those with underlying conditions and/or over a certain age still locked down but supported? Wrighty, if you able to answer this in a personal capacity, I genuinely would be interested to hear your opinion. There are so many opinions, voices and debates it has just become noise. 

The problem with ‘clinical reasons’ are that the evidence is either weak, non-existent, or contradictory. There’s a spectrum of clinical opinion, based on what you do. Psychiatrists are seeing an increase in mental health crises so want to get going. Intensivists are worried they’ll be overwhelmed so are more cautious. Orthopaedic surgeons want to be able to get on with the day job of replacing joints etc so need the hospital back to normal functioning. Health economists are incredulous that £millions are being spent per QALY, when the usual limit is £30k. 

The politicians have the unenviable job of finding some balance in all this, while trying to please as many (upset as few) of the population as possible, who also have their own priorities. 

Again, in my personal view, I’d get back to normal ASAP while shielding the vulnerable, maintaining health and care service capacity, but keeping borders shut - UK remains a cess-pit of infection however Boris spins it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The problem with ‘clinical reasons’ are that the evidence is either weak, non-existent, or contradictory. There’s a spectrum of clinical opinion, based on what you do. Psychiatrists are seeing an increase in mental health crises so want to get going. Intensivists are worried they’ll be overwhelmed so are more cautious. Orthopaedic surgeons want to be able to get on with the day job of replacing joints etc so need the hospital back to normal functioning. Health economists are incredulous that £millions are being spent per QALY, when the usual limit is £30k. 

The politicians have the unenviable job of finding some balance in all this, while trying to please as many (upset as few) of the population as possible, who also have their own priorities. 

Again, in my personal view, I’d get back to normal ASAP while shielding the vulnerable, maintaining health and care service capacity, but keeping borders shut - UK remains a cess-pit of infection however Boris spins it. 

Thank you, I appreciate the response. 

It was really little kids and year 6 at primary, with the hope that those doing exams next year (so yrs10 % 12 atm) would get 'some time with teachers' in secondary. So not a full opening by any means, and no certainties.

The UK is an absolute mess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Again, in my personal view, I’d get back to normal ASAP

Presumably everyone wants us to get back to normal ASAP. Just that everyone has got a different definition of ASAP.

Do you specifically mean now?

It’s strange they talk about kids of construction workers and so forth being first to get back into schools which is fine. But those people working from home that have kids, their kids are going to be left behind.

mysef and wife both work full time from home, and I am sure you are aware the challenges of trying to do that whilst also “teaching” kids is nigh on impossible.   

you might say teachers have been supporting them.  We have had a phone call for one kid and another sent a letter saying when you get back to school I want to hear all about what you have been doing 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

We have had a phone call for one kid and another sent a letter saying when you get back to school I want to hear all about what you have been doing 

If that’s in September and the answer is “nothing” it would be more than a bit depressing. 

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Presumably everyone wants us to get back to normal ASAP. Just that everyone has got a different definition of ASAP.

Do you specifically mean now?

You’re very keen to pin me down on this for some reason. I’ll try and be precise, but for reasons I’ve stated, repeatedly, it makes no sense to say “pubs open July 23rd” or whatever. 

I’d go with schools, non-essential retail, office work etc, and allow social gatherings within reason - 10 people, inside or out - from now. This is just MY opinion - it’s not shared by the whole clinical group, because as I keep saying the evidence is mixed.  I have more of a hard-headed economist persona than an altruistic individualist caring approach. 

I’d then monitor. If it went well in terms of new cases, hospital admissions, itu occupancy etc I’d move to the next stage a couple of weeks later - restaurants, cafes, hairdressers etc. If not, possibly rein back in according to information from contact tracing. 

I think this opinion is pretty mainstream. The only differences are in timing and pace of change. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don’t see a full return to the curriculum for the remainder of this school year unless your kids are in a transition year. I see it more of a keeping the lights on and helping this kids in key years. I suspect there will be virtual support made available to those not able or willing to send their kids back into School.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

You’re very keen to pin me down on this for some reason. I’ll try and be precise, but for reasons I’ve stated, repeatedly, it makes no sense to say “pubs open July 23rd” or whatever. 

You’ve explained yourself very clearly I wouldn’t worry about these trolls. Half of them don’t want to go back to work as it seems to align with the lifestyle of persistent internet moaners. 

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You've made 92 posts. Every single one of them has been moaning about something. 

That’s clearly not true. In particular I have supported the way our politicians have dealt with this so far and most of the life and death decisions that have been made. In contrast to a load of moaners who are convinced everything has been shit and that they’re all going to die if they don’t stay indoors for 6 months and it will all be someone else fault. 

Edited by Southfork