IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

They must have said 'got to learn to live with it' about 100 times in that briefing. What they didn't say is what exactly that means. What Howard should say is "it means everyone is going to get it, the vast majority will be fine, those already teetering are at a high risk of the end, those who choose not to get jabbed are taking a big risk and those who did take it are taking a normal everyday risk. Get used to it."

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, snowman said:

On island - 8,000 eligible for vaccine haven't come forward for it

I suspect this isn't true.  Where I think they are getting this from is the 72,484 in their 'target population'  less the number who have had their first vaccination 64,942.  So 7542 rather than 8000.  But there is a query over this 72,484 figure, because it means that the number of under-18s would then be lower than you would expect.

The trouble is that the figures were based on those registered with GPs and these will contain ghost patients who have moved off-Island etc.  There will also be those who might have been vaccinated off-Island, especially students but also those with holiday homes here or who only live here part-time. 

What they ought to be doing is sampling the non-vaccinated by contacting them to find out the situation.  At best it might result in a better way to persuade the hesitant, at worst it will enable the estimation of more accurate figures.  It wouldn't surprise me if the real figure was 3-4000.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Hugh G Rection said:

David Ashford "there will be serious illness and there will be death"

Will be or has been. Has he not made his mind up yet?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hugh G Rection said:

David Ashford "there will be serious illness and there will be death"

Harrowing words. 

He does get top marks for stating the bleedin obvious though. There is nothing surer in life than serious illness and death...and taxes....and public sector pension deficits.

Edited by Danoo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect this isn't true.  Where I think they are getting this from is the 72,484 in their 'target population'  less the number who have had their first vaccination 64,942.  So 7542 rather than 8000.  But there is a query over this 72,484 figure, because it means that the number of under-18s would then be lower than you would expect.

The trouble is that the figures were based on those registered with GPs and these will contain ghost patients who have moved off-Island etc.  There will also be those who might have been vaccinated off-Island, especially students but also those with holiday homes here or who only live here part-time. 

Well spotted. The Government must love you for pointing out the potential for inaccuracy after they have been to all this trouble to stress the reliability of their figures.

This was a poor briefing in my view. DA rushes through them as though he doesn't want to be there anymore and as if he does not like to give reasonable explanations to questions. Several references to Manx Care so maybe PM is right about having some of them there next time (if they happen to be on the island that is.) Mind you, the DHSC medical Director would have more credibility to speak about Nobles and the impact there. Her absence should be questioned.

It is a far cry than when the first death was reported and the Lt Governor was there. They have become complacent, which just about sums up the whole situation in my view. 

We need fresh eyes and fresh thinking now.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

Well spotted. The Government must love you for pointing out the potential for inaccuracy after they have been to all this trouble to stress the reliability of their figures.

This was a poor briefing in my view. DA rushes through them as though he doesn't want to be there anymore and as if he does not like to give reasonable explanations to questions. Several references to Manx Care so maybe PM is right about having some of them there next time (if they happen to be on the island that is.) Mind you, the DHSC medical Director would have more credibility to speak about Nobles and the impact there. Her absence should be questioned.

It is a far cry than when the first death was reported and the Lt Governor was there. They have become complacent, which just about sums up the whole situation in my view. 

We need fresh eyes and fresh thinking now.

Finally somebody talking sense.

I genuinely respect you and thank you for looking at this with an open mind and not the "GET ON WITH IT ANYBODY WHO DOESNT WANT TO JUST GET ON WITH IT AND DOESNT WANT TO GET INFECTED IS AN IDIOT CONSPIRACY THEORIST BLABLALBA" 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

My synopsis.

The guts of 8,000 selfish fuckers not willing to follow the medical advice they've been constantly given and denying responsible Manx people their freedoms.

Name and shame them all in next weeks Courier.

The peak is over for the time being and the hospitalisation figures will go down shortly as a result. Comin have done the right thing and are toughing it out without imposing much in the way of restrictions on us and dare I say it, are treating us as responsible adults. The only real restriction that we have, and the restrictions that should be removed asap are the CTA border restrictions, especially as we have higher cases than the UK, so I do not think the 8000 non vaccinated people are really causing that much harm relatively speaking, and quite frankly I do not wish to gain my 'freedoms', by taking away others freedom to choose...Encourage them, but careful when demonising any sub section in society as they have as much a right to refuse as you and I had to accept.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

My synopsis.

The guts of 8,000 selfish fuckers not willing to follow the medical advice they've been constantly given and denying responsible Manx people their freedoms.

Name and shame them all in next weeks Courier.

Leave it long enough and 5,600 of them will get it 

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Bruno Ganz was a fantastic actor. Also, these things don't work when you're German and understand what he says :)

I know, they are no fun at all when all he is shouting is.............

"Rob Callister and Tim Baker are visionaries"

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The only real restriction that we have, and the restrictions that should be removed asap are the CTA border restrictions, especially as we have higher cases than the UK,

Totally agree but I doubt it will happen. 

Too many people on nice little earners (overtime etc) who will insist the restrictions are essential to prevent societal collapse.

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Like 1