IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I’ll say it - snobbery or not; these people are ignoramuses. They’re stupid. They don’t know the meaning or context of the words they use. ‘Hyper-bowl’… ‘fraudulent slip’…’exasperated’ when he meant ‘exacerbated’. People like the Voice of Reason (yes, the same person who considers the Cosy Nook to be a ‘beautiful building’) seem to believe that these are incidental matters and that we are unkind to point them out. They fundamentally are not incidental. They reveal the incapacity of our ‘leaders’; the depth of their ignorance, the failure of their communication. They embarrass us all with their pontificating foolishness - Ashford and his ‘expertise’ in respect of pandemic matters conveyed to PAC. They need to be swept away. 

That’s quite a charge.

Let’s deal with the Cosy Nook first. It has been considered photogenic enough to be the subject of many postcards and much  marketing material. OK you may not appreciate its architecture but as I have said before it’s a matter of taste.

“These people are ignoramuses”. It’s not quite sure who you mean but for the sake of argument let’s assume you mean Quayle and Ashcroft. You say they don’t  know the meaning of the words they use.

“Exasperated” when he meant “exacerbated” etc . Yes a slip of the tongue, but his audience knew what he meant. There is no failure of communication.

To say these people are who may occasionally get their words wrong ( as we all do, except you, from time to time) are stupid, is yes quite frankly snobbery.

Actions not words is what they should be judged on.

And at the moment they are being largely judged a success by the majority.

Like any government ( and they are not perfect as none are) they will always have their detractors, who to be honest could not hold a candle to them. Professional whingers if you will.

24 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I’ll say it - snobbery or not; these people are ignoramuses. They’re stupid. 

Just as bad, if not worse, is that when they encounter something they don't recognise they're too pig-headed to ask what it is, like any halfway sensible person would do before they read it out in public.

Or maybe Howard actually thought that hyperbowl was the next step up from the Superbowl?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I’ll say it - snobbery or not; these people are ignoramuses. They’re stupid. They don’t know the meaning or context of the words they use. ‘Hyper-bowl’… ‘fraudulent slip’…’exasperated’ when he meant ‘exacerbated’. People like the Voice of Reason (yes, the same person who considers the Cosy Nook to be a ‘beautiful building’) seem to believe that these are incidental matters and that we are unkind to point them out. They fundamentally are not incidental. They reveal the incapacity of our ‘leaders’; the depth of their ignorance, the failure of their communication. They embarrass us all with their pontificating foolishness - Ashford and his ‘expertise’ in respect of pandemic matters conveyed to PAC. They need to be swept away. 

I do agree.

Which constituency are you standing in to put yourself up for this sort of critique for not much money?

Edited by Ramseyboi

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That’s quite a charge.

Let’s deal with the Cosy Nook first. It has been considered photogenic enough to be the subject of many postcards and much  marketing material. OK you may not appreciate its architecture but as I have said before it’s a matter of taste.

“These people are ignoramuses”. It’s not quite sure who you mean but for the sake of argument let’s assume you mean Quayle and Ashcroft. You say they don’t  know the meaning of the words they use.

“Exasperated” when he meant “exacerbated” etc . Yes a slip of the tongue, but his audience knew what he meant. There is no failure of communication.

To say these people are who may occasionally get their words wrong ( as we all do, except you, from time to time) are stupid, is yes quite frankly snobbery.

Actions not words is what they should be judged on.

Like any government ( and they are not perfect as none are) they will always have their detractors, who to be honest could not hold a candle to them. Professional whingers if you will.

You are either too easily pleased by very poor representation and tissue-thin public policy making, or you’re simply an apologist. And no, I don’t ‘get my words wrong’ because I consider what I say before I say it and I only use words I understand. Because I don’t have an overweening belief in quite how wonderful I am.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No it isn't if the building is not fit for purpose and in this day and age, it isn't.

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I am not sure that is true. The public can be fickle as we all know. They can turn very quickly if they lose faith and trust in the Govt. Today has seen a big dent in peoples confidence in them I think. 

At the end of the day they govern with people's consent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

You are either too easily pleased by very poor representation and tissue-thin public policy making, or you’re simply an apologist. And no, I don’t ‘get my words wrong’ because I consider what I say before I say it and I only use words I understand. Because I don’t have an overweening belief in quite how wonderful I am.

Did you mean to say overweening?

What does that mean?

Do you understand it?

I don’t 

Edited by The Voice of Reason

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I do agree.

Which constituency are you standing in to put yourself up for this sort of critique for not much money?

I’m not standing and nor am I obliged to in order to proffer comment on those who do. Politicians are not exempt from critique from those among the electorate who choose not to stand themselves. Especially when they reveal the limitations lately on show from what are (laughably) our senior political leaders. Are you suggesting, by the same token, that only those who have themselves been Premier League managers can critique the performance of Jurgen Klopp?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

I’m not standing and nor am I obliged to in order to proffer comment on those who do. Politicians are not exempt from critique from those among the electorate who choose not to stand themselves. Especially when they reveal the limitations lately on show from what are (laughably) our senior political leaders. Are you suggesting, by the same token, that only those who have themselves been Premier League managers can critique the performance of Jurgen Klopp?

I do in fact find it most comical when fat men in their 50s who have never kicked a ball in their lives stand in the stands with a burger and a coke and shout abuse and tactical advice at Klopp and his players.

Hey ho.  Saw the same at the F1 recently.  People who couldn’t even drive the car out of the pit lane abusing people who made a split second error of judgment at nearly 200mph in the pissing rain

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Did you mean to say overweening?

What does that mean?

Do you understand it?

I don’t 

Yes I did mean ‘overweening’ - the definition of which is excessive confidence. Particularly apposite to Quayle and Ashford. If you are not familiar with the word consider yourself educated. Expanding your vocabulary is not my responsibility but I’m happy to assist on this occasion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I do in fact find it most comical when fat men in their 50s who have never kicked a ball in their lives stand in the stands with a burger and a coke and shout abuse and tactical advice at Klopp and his players.

Hey ho.  Saw the same at the F1 recently.  People who couldn’t even drive the car out of the pit lane abusing people who made a split second error of judgment at nearly 200mph in the pissing rain

I accept all that. But it’s still legitimate for observers to make comment. And our political leadership cock it up with far greater frequency than Messrs. Klopp, Hamilton and Verstappen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Yes I did mean ‘overweening’ - the definition of which is excessive confidence. Particularly apposite to Quayle and Ashford. If you are not familiar with the word consider yourself educated. Expanding your vocabulary is not my responsibility but I’m happy to assist on this occasion.

Well therein lies a different problem.

If politicians use words which the majority of the electorate are not familiar ( I’ll warrant “overweening” being one of them) then I suggest that is worse than the odd mispronunciation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well therein lies a different problem.

If politicians use words which the majority of the electorate are not familiar ( I’ll warrant “overweening” being one of them) then I suggest that is worse than the odd mispronunciation.

Well of course you would. 

• Like 2