IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Yes. All of my friends, acquaintances and colleagues are drawn from the electorate.

It’s an important point though. To communicate you must understand the level of your audience. You could be the world’s greatest orator and construct brilliant speeches that would have Oxford University’s Debating Society drooling over your eloquence, but if the average listener says ‘Ye Wat?’ then you’ll have failed to get your message across. 

I sometimes quote that the average reading age in Telford is 9. Probably similar here. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Apple said:

So, 4 covid deaths in 4 days. 

Our politicians were advised were they not by the  EAG recently. Did they do as the EAG recommended.?

Or were they being blasé?

Well actually then, you tell me this then. How many of the EAG have got an MBE or a CBE?

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Well actually then, you tell me this then. How many of the EAG have got an MBE or a CBE?

Not really an issue is it.

Following advice from people with the technical knowledge of the subject would be.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

It’s an important point though. To communicate you must understand the level of your audience. You could be the world’s greatest orator and construct brilliant speeches that would have Oxford University’s Debating Society drooling over your eloquence, but if the average listener says ‘Ye Wat?’ then you’ll have failed to get your message across. 

I sometimes quote that the average reading age in Telford is 9. Probably similar here. 

I don’t doubt that you’re right (sad to say). I nonetheless think that even the 9 year olds would have trouble following the vacuous guff from COMIN et al.

A girl I knew at high school ended up years later as some high-falutin’ literacy/English advisor to the Scottish government and told me that the national average reading age in Scotland was 14, so things seem especially grim in Telford.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It isn't about using long words, it's about understanding what you are saying and so it being genuine and a communication of your own thoughts.  So, if you don't know the difference between exasperated and exacerbated, just say 'made worse'.

The gaff by HQ that I quoted, was unscripted, not part of the speech and entirely of his own making.  Mind you, Freudian slip  Is quite an unusual turn of phrase so easy to understand why he slipped up both in pronunciation and context. 

12 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I don’t doubt that you’re right (sad to say). I nonetheless think that even the 9 year olds would have trouble following the vacuous guff from COMIN et al.

A girl I knew at high school ended up years later as some high-falutin’ literacy/English advisor to the Scottish government and told me that the national average reading age in Scotland was 14, so things seem especially grim in Telford.

You lost your potential audience at “vacuous “

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It isn't about using long words, it's about understanding what you are saying and so it being genuine and a communication of your own thoughts.  So, if you don't know the difference between exasperated and exacerbated, just say 'made worse'.

The gaff by HQ that I quoted, was unscripted, not part of the speech and entirely of his own making.  Mind you, Freudian slip  Is quite an unusual turn of phrase so easy to understand why he slipped up both in pronunciation and context. 

With a camera and a microphone in his face, and with every word being scrutinised.

I have no time for the bloke but I would easily excuse him that one

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

With a camera and a microphone in his face, and with every word being scrutinised.

I have no time for the bloke but I would easily excuse him that one

Oh, I excuse him.  I thought it was hilariously funny.  My real disappointment is where am I going to get the rest of the  motivational quotes for my 2022 calendar? 

Seriously though, while you can excuse the odd slip from Little and Large, even if very funny, they are so frequent and so basic that it does make you wonder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Oh, I excuse him.  I thought it was hilariously funny.  My real disappointment is where am I going to get the rest of the  motivational quotes for my 2022 calendar? 

Seriously though, while you can excuse the odd slip from Little and Large, even if very funny, they are so frequent and so basic that it does make you wonder. 

I just googled where you could get motivational quotes from.

If I shared it here I would be banned.

#motivationalbumcheeksfireman