IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This is an alright interview with one of the more rational voices of the pandemic. Bit of a surprise the guardian published it, seeing as they've been a bit on the side of the doom and gloom referenced. Worth a couple of minutes of your time

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/07/prof-francois-balloux-the-pandemic-has-created-a-market-for-gloom-and-doom

Everyone interested enough should have a read of that. Short enough even for the easily-distracted. He makes valid points on "scientific populism" and "psychosomatic long covid." Both by-products of this pandemic, as is the doom and gloom market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Everyone interested enough should have a read of that. Short enough even for the easily-distracted. He makes valid points on "scientific populism" and "psychosomatic long covid." Both by-products of this pandemic, as is the doom and gloom market.

He's been a very useful follow over on twitter for me, he speaks a lot of sense, but just as importantly tries to point out when others are not. 

People really need to quickly get up to speed with the idea that everyone is going to get covid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danoo said:

I’ve read a few articles recently suggesting that the vaccine doesn’t actually reduce transmission/spread at all but what it does do is heavily reduce the chances of being seriously ill/hospitalisation, so the vaccine is still effective. I suppose the next steps will be to stop penalising the unvaccinated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He's been a very useful follow over on twitter for me, he speaks a lot of sense, but just as importantly tries to point out when others are not. 

People really need to quickly get up to speed with the idea that everyone is going to get covid.

Exactly.  A lot who are scared of it also need to get their head around the fact that they might well have already had it and not noticed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’ve read a few articles recently suggesting that the vaccine doesn’t actually reduce transmission/spread at all but what it does do is heavily reduce the chances of being seriously ill/hospitalisation, so the vaccine is still effective. I suppose the next steps will be to stop penalising the unvaccinated.

Let's see what our government do here, whether we now move to 2+2+1 or just do away with the whole restrictions altogether.

6 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I think @wrighty mentioned, but I've also seen it mentioned elsewhere, that the vaccine effectively takes 30 years off your age when it comes to the symptoms etc of Covid.  So, if you are 80 and been vaxxed, you'd have a similar response to a 50 year old un-vaxxed. 

20 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Let's see what our government do here, whether we now move to 2+2+1 or just do away with the whole restrictions altogether.

A lot of the focus on 2+2 travel was on the understanding it reduced transmission, a lot of folk also got the vaccine in the belief it would stop them transmitting the virus to others, if that does prove to be false then there is absolutely no reason to restrict the unvaccinated as they’re effectively only gambling with their own health, certainly no worse than say smoking or excessive alcohol consumption, it would then be considered a personal choice rather than a case of being selfish?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

A lot of the focus on 2+2 travel was on the understanding it reduced transmission, a lot of folk also got the vaccine in the belief it would stop them transmitting the virus to others, if that does prove to be the case 

It won't prove to be the case! 

58 minutes ago, Danoo said:

A sensible middle route might be to end restrictions for the vaccinated but to maintain or increase restrictions for those who choose to be unvaccinated.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

The second part is true, but vaccines do also reduce transmission a bit as well because they reduce the possibility of people catching it by about 60%.  Unfortunately if people also then also modify their behaviour to be more high-risk, that advantage can be lost.

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I think @wrighty mentioned, but I've also seen it mentioned elsewhere, that the vaccine effectively takes 30 years off your age when it comes to the symptoms etc of Covid.  So, if you are 80 and been vaxxed, you'd have a similar response to a 50 year old un-vaxxed. 

Yes, it's a good way of illustrating the advantages of the vaccine.    But you need to remember that, just as younger people were still admitted to the Hospital in previous outbreaks, it means that older people will still have some vulnerability.  Paradoxically we seem to have more older people admitted to Noble's this time than we did in March.  While the over-80s were vaccinated  then as well, they were protected by lockdown and perhaps greater caution.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pongo said:

A sensible middle route might be to end restrictions for the vaccinated but to maintain or increase restrictions for those who choose to be unvaccinated.

Anyone unvaccinated is highly likely to catch Covid over the next 12 months regardless of whether they leave the island or not. If anything the more unvaccinated folk that catch Covid and suffer health issues/hospitalisation, the greater vaccination would become more appealing.