IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

It was rather breezy today on Laxey prom. People were wearing masks whilst walking along it. Have they been told that the virus is airborne and blowing in from Morecambe? Is there any research that supports this theory? 

Edited by joebean
Typo

2 minutes ago, joebean said:

It was rather breezy today on Laxey prom. People were wearing masks whilst walking along it. Have they been told that the virus is airborne and blowing in from Morecambe? Is there any research that supports this theory? 

Well when I went into Nobles last week, I didn’t take my mask off till I got back to my car, no reason for it other than I get so used to wearing one now that I barely notice it.

So perhaps what you noticed was a load of coach tourists who had recently disembarked? 

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not that we needed it, but confirmation again on Manx Radio today that no pregnant women have been admitted as a result of COVID, but that several have tested positive after admission for other things and so shown in the hospital figures.

And they would know....

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

There's a mental health element to a lot of the anti vaxxers. I don't think demonising them is going to help, but it looks like thats the way we are going to go with it.

@the stinking enigma That is two accolades I have "awarded" this and the other recent post in this thread. I know you don't normally go looking for them but there you go....Sorry. 🤫

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I think @wrighty mentioned, but I've also seen it mentioned elsewhere, that the vaccine effectively takes 30 years off your age when it comes to the symptoms etc of Covid.  So, if you are 80 and been vaxxed, you'd have a similar response to a 50 year old un-vaxxed. 

based on that nobody under 29 years and 3 months old needs a vaccine as they don't exist as far as the virus is concerned.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Anyone unvaccinated is highly likely to catch Covid over the next 12 months regardless of whether they leave the island or not. If anything the more unvaccinated folk that catch Covid and suffer health issues/hospitalisation, the greater vaccination would become more appealing.

Anyone vaccinated is highly likely to catch covid over the next 12 months too.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Anyone vaccinated is highly likely to catch covid over the next 12 months regardless. 

Yes, it works both ways. It seems a bit daft to treat vaccinated or unvaccinated any different, at this stage we’ve got to accept that it’s survival of the fittest now, so either be careful or be care free it’s all down to individual responsibility.

17 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic, or funny or what?  I think it is a pretty safe bet that the lady giving the interview would know given what her job is.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/covid-vaccine-uptake-low-in-pregnant-women/

No, it was a comment about Manx Radio and their ability to get things right. Didn't see a link.😀

One of the things that you don't see that much discussion of is the end point. Most commentators are talking in the now, or the short term. "We need to do this for 3 weeks" or whatever. But what is the end point? It's an  important question that needs a proper answer, so someone brighter than me feel free to weigh in.

The ideal situation would for covid just to become another cold. Some people who get a lot of press argue for zero covid, but the chances of zero covid are precisely zero, so that's that. So how does it become a cold? I've been reading some stuff about the endemic respiratory viruses we already live with, and it seems that one of the reasons they are colds is because of the huge amount of infection and at the same time relative immunity. At some point in the past they were much more severe. The idea being that because they are so successful at surviving this actually helps keep them in check, hence the concerns raised about the lack of population immunity following all the social distancing.

I think this is where we're heading, now that huge swathes of people are vaccinated (although not enough globally) letting it run through, several times. Getting infected post vaccination serving as a booster (hat tip wrighty) and even infected again. Basically driving it into mild endemicity. 

So while the let it rippers were wrong last year before the vaccines, now ... ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

at this stage we’ve got to accept that it’s survival of the fittest now, 

it was survival of the fittest 2 years ago  but the state intervened.    

maybe a new question ,,  if you have variant 'A' and whilst you have it you the  also get variant 'B'  and just for giggles you then  also get variant 'C' do they work together to fuck you or do they try fucking each other first using you as the battleground and you end up worse than if you just had 1 variant ?

47 minutes ago, WTF said:

based on that nobody under 29 years and 3 months old needs a vaccine as they don't exist as far as the virus is concerned.

It is of course just a generalisation and to illustrate the effectiveness (or limitations) of the vaccine.  Based on the fact that the vast majority of under 30s don't appear to be effected that badly and vaxxed over 80s still die from it, then I think it is actually quite a good elucidation.

Try not to be too obtuse eh? 

37 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Yes, it works both ways. It seems a bit daft to treat vaccinated or unvaccinated any different, at this stage we’ve got to accept that it’s survival of the fittest now, so either be careful or be care free it’s all down to individual responsibility.

Remember though, that Darwin's theory of evolution and the oft quoted 'survival of the fittest' is often misinterpreted.  'Fittest' does not necessarily mean the one that can run furthest, the strongest or whatever.  Fittest in this instance actually means the most adaptable to change or the best fit for the environment.  

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Fittest in this instance actually means the most adaptable to change or the best fit for the environment.  

In this context, 'fittest' usually means rich barstards,  but when it comes to stuff like emptying the bins, changing a plug or clearing the leaves out of the swimming pool, they they are fucked.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

One of the things that you don't see that much discussion of is the end point. Most commentators are talking in the now, or the short term. "We need to do this for 3 weeks" or whatever. But what is the end point? It's an  important question that needs a proper answer, so someone brighter than me feel free to weigh in.

The ideal situation would for covid just to become another cold. Some people who get a lot of press argue for zero covid, but the chances of zero covid are precisely zero, so that's that. So how does it become a cold? I've been reading some stuff about the endemic respiratory viruses we already live with, and it seems that one of the reasons they are colds is because of the huge amount of infection and at the same time relative immunity. At some point in the past they were much more severe. The idea being that because they are so successful at surviving this actually helps keep them in check, hence the concerns raised about the lack of population immunity following all the social distancing.

I think this is where we're heading, now that huge swathes of people are vaccinated (although not enough globally) letting it run through, several times. Getting infected post vaccination serving as a booster (hat tip wrighty) and even infected again. Basically driving it into mild endemicity. 

So while the let it rippers were wrong last year before the vaccines, now ... ?

Agree with all of this.  Covid-19 will become a common cold. You’ll get it every so often, and this will serve the purpose of keeping community resistance (aka herd immunity) up such that R=1 and we have endemic equilibrium.

I’m increasingly drawn to the notion that coronavirus OC43 was Russian Flu in 1889-90.  Now that virus gives us a cold every so often, being one of the 4 human coronaviruses that cause colds, and are responsible for 15% of them. If we swabbed everyone with a cold, we might find about 100 testing positive every day…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

You can put negative numbers into the risk function. Someone aged -10 (aka a vaxxed 20 year old) has a risk of dying of 5 in a million if they get covid. 

• Like 1