IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Agree with all of this.  Covid-19 will become a common cold. You’ll get it every so often, and this will serve the purpose of keeping community resistance (aka herd immunity) up such that R=1 and we have endemic equilibrium.

I’m increasingly drawn to the notion that coronavirus OC43 was Russian Flu in 1889-90.  Now that virus gives us a cold every so often, being one of the 4 human coronaviruses that cause colds, and are responsible for 15% of them. If we swabbed everyone with a cold, we might find about 100 testing positive every day…

I do wish a minister would stand up in public and confirm a lot of what you have posted over the last few weeks, which all makes perfect sense and which I agree with 100 %.

It's here. It's staying. We will all catch it several times (and likely have already). The vaccine program is our best defence.

Last year we were rightly very cautious.  Now we need to crack on and largely ignore it - In my opinion anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

One of the things that you don't see that much discussion of is the end point. Most commentators are talking in the now, or the short term. "We need to do this for 3 weeks" or whatever. But what is the end point? It's an  important question that needs a proper answer, so someone brighter than me feel free to weigh in.

My 2p is quite straightforward, I believe the current restrictions do very little in stopping transmission, so there is no point having them in place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

I do wish a minister would stand up in public and confirm a lot of what you have posted over the last few weeks, which all makes perfect sense and which I agree with 100 %.

It's here. It's staying. We will all catch it several times (and likely have already). The vaccine program is our best defence.

Last year we were rightly very cautious.  Now we need to crack on and largely ignore it - In my opinion anyway.

It's election time. In a tough economic climate that seat on the gravy train is very warm and inviting at the moment. No-one wants to upset the vocal minority on facebook. Best to keep your head down and only tell people what they want to hear.

Edited by Danoo

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Completely agree with the above, our entire family have just had it which only became apparent upon my teenager testing positive. The rest of the family due to vaccinations and the other kids age didn't need to testing after travelling. Minor symptoms that I had put down to slight hay fever was in fact Covid. Anyway after self imposed isolation, which did seem a bit pointless given the prevalence of the virus on the island, and being double vaxxed, we now aim to enjoy the sunshine and the rest of the kids summer holidays safe in the knowledge that we would have to be very unlucky to get it again before winter.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Not at all. If you hadn’t applied David Ashford if asked would no doubt say “she is not on the EAG because she did not apply” . That’s not crapping on you. It would have been a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

Not quite sure how you think your decision to apply or not puts you between a rock and a hard place. It’s up to you whether you applied or not.

Or maybe, as has been suggested before ,you have an inflated sense of your own  importance and imagined there was a great clamour for you to join the group.

All right, David, wind your neck in. 

You might want to speak to the backbenchers as to why they forced the EAG on CoMIN via a Tynwald motion. Might be a lot to do with a health minister believing he was somehow a font of all knowledge despite having nothing more than an irrelevant degree from Edge Hill community college and access to google. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, rachomics said:

You might want to speak to the backbenchers as to why they forced the EAG on CoMIN via a Tynwald motion. Might be a lot to do with a health minister believing he was somehow a font of all knowledge despite having nothing more than an irrelevant degree from Edge Hill community college and access to google. 

Now, now, that' very unfair.  There's no evidence that Ashford has ever bothered to google something in his life.

• Haha 3

On 8/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Or maybe, as has been suggested before ,you have an inflated sense of your own  importance and imagined there was a great clamour for you to join the group.

Hmm.. because this definitely sounds like David's current spin-phrase "as I have said before". 

Nope. Nada. TheVoiceOfReason couldn't possibly be David Ashford or someone he is close to. Definitely not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, rachomics said:

This post…and a lot of the stuff on Twitter really isn’t a good look in my opinion.

I think Ashford is a tool, but there are many ways to deal with the situation which would win a lot more respect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

None of them will as the Facebook Karens would digitally crucify them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rachomics said:

4c1fc57822e846ed7d8e732ef59380da--jackson-thriller-winter-meme.jpg