IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, Nomadic Raptor said:

What I mean though is that prices are generally a lot higher here, and I’m musing if it’s because they think they have a captive market but increasingly more people are choosing to hop in the boat to get away for a few days as it is cheaper

Running costs are higher.  Market is smaller

3 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

This is more likely what forces us back to masks etc as people are now so terrified of every little thing that "might" make them ill.  

It has always mildly annoyed me that people selfishly choose to spread their colds, flu etc. Especially in enclosed offices and on aircraft.

Ideally people should stay at home if they are ill. They should not be allowed into crowded enclosed spaces. I hope that masks will become the norm in many situations over the next few years as this situation gradually evolves.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

The island I utterly bonkers…for a family of 4 to do anything on this island it is really expensive bowling 50 odd, exit strategy 80 cinema easily 50 odd house mannanin 40 odd 

risk a bit of COVID by going to Liverpool for a day trip 120 .

Even fc iom are at it  in England to go watch fc iom at say wythenshaw it’s 6 for an adult  the return game at the bowl will be over a 10 to 15 I expect

it’s actually more cost effective to leave the island even during these times than it is to stay here.  And that is with all the messing around of landing cards etc 

if they don’t want people going away bringing it in it has to be cost effective to actually live here 

Well obviously you don’t get the economies of scale you do across.

You’ve guessed at how much it will be to go and watch FC IOM at the bowl. I would imagine it’s probably not far off. But you don’t have to go. 
I would pay a tenner, maybe more. You pay your money, you take your choice

If the cost of living somewhere  is your prime consideration fine. It’s probably cheaper to live in Cambodia or Vietnam. ( I don’t know but I know there are cheaper ,and more expensive ’places to live)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

It has always mildly annoyed me that people selfishly choose to spread their colds, flu etc. Especially in enclosed offices and on aircraft.

Ideally people should stay at home if they are ill. They should not be allowed into crowded enclosed spaces. I hope that masks will become the norm in many situations over the next few years as this situation gradually evolves.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone in a mask on the island before last spring. I'm presuming you wore one regularly before then?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Danoo said:

I don't recall ever seeing anyone in a mask on the island before last spring. I'm presuming you wore one regularly before then?

Nope. I had never seen it except in Singapore. But I hope it will gradually become the norm as the situation evolves over the next few years.

Similarly I hope that it will become routine to check people's temperatures before allowing them on flights.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

I hope that masks will become the norm in many situations over the next few years as this situation gradually evolves.

I hope that mask wearing will disappear as we learn to live with Covid as we have with the flu etc. 

I would hate that mask wearing became the norm. It’s unnatural and I find it quite creepy. For the moment it is understandable that some might take comfort in it.

The natural progression would be that we all walk around in surgical / astronaut suits to prevent any risk of catching any sort of condition.

• Like 5

Just now, pongo said:

It's always very annoying to get sat near someone on a flight who is obviously unwell.

Can’t say I have ever noticed or that it has bothered me.

People blow their noses into a tissue then out that tissue in a pocket that they keep their change in before spending it.

Ponder that one.  

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

But that’s an isolated situation isn’t it. It’s not a daily occurrence. 

But it's part of a wider set of patterns of behaviour which I hope the virus will permenantly change.

I hope that masks become the norm in many situations. Ditto pre flight health checks.

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

People blow their noses into a tissue then out that tissue in a pocket that they keep their change in before spending it.

Ponder that one.  

I almost never use physical cash.