IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

58 minutes ago, John Wright said:

She has a claim in front of the EET and it was alleged that publication of her evidence would be a breach of the sub judice rules.

There is correspondence in the appendices to the report dealing with this, from AG’s and the Select Committee.

Thanks, I have just spotted that.  This the due DHSC really did give a point by point rebuttal.

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a quite extraordinary document.  Everything the most cynical and despairing of us thought about the way the Manx government operates turns out to be true.  

Sadly it is a report that reflects comments in several places about the poor communications, the bullying attitude and the race to be at the head of the line in advising politicians to get brownie points , most of which has also been demonstrated in other activities and by other people in the DHSC over the past few years.

Reading between and in the actual lines the usual reputation undermining and then the JFDI attitude comes across clearly as the usual DHSC method of quashing alternative views, opinions, suggestions or even criticisms and definitely about putting people 'back in the box'. I'm not sure about Sir. Michaels comments on matters either.

It is a long report but well worth the read. @John Wright "headless chicken" comment is very much appropriate and is actually a term I heard several times by some on these committees who were willing to air their views outside, in confidence. 

A poor state of affairs during the most significant events the island has faced in modern times. As we were constantly reminded so often, an unprecedented event. I am sure there will be some handwringing this morning. I am sure there is more discussions being considered. Magson is due to go soon around Christmas time anyway isn't she.?

Anyway, maybe it could be a case of nothing to see here, move on, well done all at DHSC and lessons learned. Next.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Apple said:

Magson is due to go soon around Christmas time anyway isn't she.?

Not too soon in my opinion.

How can (part-time) senior managers in health services, who are not even located on the Island, do a proper job?  Lessons not learned. 

Edited by code99
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's 100 pages long, give us a tldr

I've read just a bit. In February 2020 there was a family returned from China. One was symptomatic. It took days to get the test result and the symptomatic person was told to isolate. Meanwhile the rest of the household, who had also travelled from China weren't told to isolate. Ranson and the Director of Nursing thought they should. Ewert wanted to follow UK guidelines which was that they could go about their business and it wasn't her place to contradict the English advice. Ranson, who had been on the Island a few days, recognised that there needed to be different advice to the UK because of the Island's situation. Fortunately, the test came back negative.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

I've read just a bit. In February 2020 there was a family returned from China. One was symptomatic. It took days to get the test result and the symptomatic person was told to isolate. Meanwhile the rest of the household, who had also travelled from China weren't told to isolate. Ranson and the Director of Nursing thought they should. Ewert wanted to follow UK guidelines which was that they could go about their business and it wasn't her place to contradict the English advice. Ranson, who had been on the Island a few days, recognised that there needed to be different advice to the UK because of the Island's situation. Fortunately, the test came back negative.

Dr Ewert seems to have a pattern of behaviour which can be summarised as " I am here to channel the UK's advice on anything to do with Public Health matters". If this is her position then why don't we just become a Trust under the UK NHS? I find her approach unacceptable. The IOM Public Health must be competent enough to make its own independent decisions. 

• Like 4

Just now, AlanShimmin said:

Twitter suggesting that Ransom may no longer be in IOMG employment. 

That is my suspicion too, particularly as there was an employment dispute referred to the employment tribunal. 

Who is it within the health system who consistently fails in governance.  It seems as though it lacks real oversight and good governance.

Remember last year when Magson was appointed, DA was very dismissive of concerns about her not being on the ground, almost as though those raising the concerns were Luddites entirely ignorant of the benefits of modern communications.  Who was advising him?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

The report talks of an Employment Tribunal case involving her but there is nothing pending on the Tribunal site as far as I can see.

Anyway, it's only another DHSC Tribunal - they seem to be like buses these days. 

What did someone say - did we want a world beating health and social care services management. Not really, just one that is competent will do. 

Good clinical staff must be wondering why they all worked so hard when issues like this come to light.

Well done though Dr Ranson for "daring to air".

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

To be honest she sounds like the type of person we need after all this. Hope she stays.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Apple said:

The report talks of an Employment Tribunal case involving her but there is nothing pending on the Tribunal site as far as I can see.

Anyway, it's only another DHSC Tribunal - they seem to be like buses these days. 

What did someone say - did we want a world beating health and social care services management. Not really, just one that is competent will do. 

Good clinical staff must be wondering why they all worked so hard when issues like this come to light.

Well done though Dr Ranson for "daring to air".

Won’t be on the list unless a hearing is scheduled or listed.

The decision to publish was solely that of the Select Committee. They had discussions about whether they could, with the AG’s. 

They waited until they had the DHSC rebuttal.

• Like 1