IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Barlow said:
14 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

if Ashford's mate can get it 4 times 

Where/when did he say this?

I think he was talking about Covid though.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Sadly it is a report that reflects comments in several places about the poor communications, the bullying attitude and the race to be at the head of the line in advising politicians to get brownie points , most of which has also been demonstrated in other activities and by other people in the DHSC over the past few years.

Reading between and in the actual lines the usual reputation undermining and then the JFDI attitude comes across clearly as the usual DHSC method of quashing alternative views, opinions, suggestions or even criticisms and definitely about putting people 'back in the box'. I'm not sure about Sir. Michaels comments on matters either.

It is a long report but well worth the read. @John Wright "headless chicken" comment is very much appropriate and is actually a term I heard several times by some on these committees who were willing to air their views outside, in confidence. 

A poor state of affairs during the most significant events the island has faced in modern times. As we were constantly reminded so often, an unprecedented event. I am sure there will be some handwringing this morning. I am sure there is more discussions being considered. Magson is due to go soon around Christmas time anyway isn't she.?

Anyway, maybe it could be a case of nothing to see here, move on, well done all at DHSC and lessons learned. Next.

Not like me to defend our beloved government- and I am not going to, but as I read it I'll wager you could find almost identical transcripts from nearly every developed country in the world. If you all cast your minds back to Feb/March 2020 every single government (tell me one that didn't) watched this thing unfold before their eyes and not one actually took real action until it was on the shores (or over their border). In Europe, Italy was first to have mass illness. I remember watching the news and wondering why people could still fly from Italy (and China) to the UK. There was no testing. Governments seemed to think it wouldn't happen to them - perhaps you could argue the biggest culprits being UK Gov.

So yes, the transcript makes sad reading in that the most senior health official on the Island was saying we should be doing something and we didn't. But what makes us on MF forums think that the IOM government would act any different to all the others and actually take decisive action earlier.

• Haha 1

HD, it wasn't the lack of action so much as ignoring strong advice from, and lack of consultation with, those qualified and employed to give it that is the real kicker here.

It isn't really the response to Covid that is the concern, but the systemic flaws the response reveals. 

Why was the Director of Public Health moved to the Cabinet Office? 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Make of that what you will. 

Rachel Glover:
''Wow, the sheer level of legalese and spin from the DHSC in their response to Dr Ranson’s evidence mirrors my experience earlier this year. David Ashford and Kathryn Magson must be seriously rattled to be launching that kind of response. Both should have been fired long ago.
Well done to the MHKs on the Public Accounts Committee for pushing so strongly for her evidence to be published, despite obvious legal challenge from the DHSC to stop it entirely.''

• Like 5

We are a really small community here. That is the reason – we did not deliver … the public delivered elimination here through their behaviours. We facilitated it but the public delivered it. It is the public that pulled together and if the public knew what was going on … It is just shocking

This is from the Doctor's last speech. Something we've expected all along. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Not like me to defend our beloved government- and I am not going to, but as I read it I'll wager you could find almost identical transcripts from nearly every developed country in the world. If you all cast your minds back to Feb/March 2020 every single government (tell me one that didn't) watched this thing unfold before their eyes and not one actually took real action until it was on the shores (or over their border). In Europe, Italy was first to have mass illness. I remember watching the news and wondering why people could still fly from Italy (and China) to the UK. There was no testing. Governments seemed to think it wouldn't happen to them - perhaps you could argue the biggest culprits being UK Gov.

So yes, the transcript makes sad reading in that the most senior health official on the Island was saying we should be doing something and we didn't. But what makes us on MF forums think that the IOM government would act any different to all the others and actually take decisive action earlier.

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

HD, it wasn't the lack of action so much as ignoring strong advice from, and lack of consultation with, those qualified and employed to give it that is the real kicker here.

It isn't really the response to Covid that is the concern, but the systemic flaws the response reveals. 

Why was the Director of Public Health moved to the Cabinet Office? 

Why did magson take it upon herself to prevent medical advice from reaching comin?

• Thanks 1

Interesting in the attachments that after Quayle had said "the medics" advise he takes a course of action, that Watterson emailled Ranson to ask if that was her advice. Only to be told by the Cabinet Office that he couldn't ask for her opinion on government policy.

So how do we know what Quayle says is the advice is the advice? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Rachel Glover:
''Wow, the sheer level of legalese and spin from the DHSC in their response to Dr Ranson’s evidence mirrors my experience earlier this year.

I have now read most of the report and thought exactly the same thing, it was quite literally head against a brick wall type stuff, how absolutely exhausting to keeping trying to fight what would’ve felt like a losing battle. It also seems utterly pointless to have DR Ewart here if we’re simply following PHE advice, that’s one salary the can save on massively, we don’t need to employ a parrot.

Without intending to be disrespectful towards Dr Glover, Dr Ranson hasn’t vented her frustration publicly through the likes of Twitter or social media though, she has maintained her professionalism throughout and it’s a lot harder to bite your tongue then it is to shout out loud and tell the world.

Again I do understand Dr Glovers actions, no longer being employed by DHSC (never employed by DHSC apparently!) meant she didn’t need to be careful about voicing her opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1