IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

35 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

There are still people on this Island who would happily have us living like that until (in their minds) the virus magically disappears. Which it won’t.

They are the same people who are assisting our struggling local tourism & hospitality market by daubing the hashtag #plagueisland all over Twitter.

They are the single biggest collection of self centred whoppers I’ve ever had the misfortune of encountering.

Their age demographic is telling.

Australia and New Zealand will be in the position we are in whenever they decide to open it is just kicking the problem down the road, I watch a comedian who is from Australia and he has been vocal about the lockdowns, no real government support, governments deciding who is and who isn't an essential business, exactly where we were 12 or so months ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Australia and New Zealand will be in the position we are in whenever they decide to open it is just kicking the problem down the road, I watch a comedian who is from Australia and he has been vocal about the lockdowns, no real government support, governments deciding who is and who isn't an essential business, exactly where we were 12 or so months ago. 

Correct.

They’ve learned nothing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Their vaccination rates are much lower than here.  Going to be a while for them yet to get into a position to 'let it rip' with minimal damage.  It was said a year ago, possibly by me, that we shouldn't start judging how well individual countries and leaders have done until it's all over.  The NZ PM has been hailed as a hero, at least at the start.  How will she be seen this time next year when the rest of the world are getting on with it and they're still having lockdowns when a single person swabs positive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Their vaccination rates are much lower than here.  Going to be a while for them yet to get into a position to 'let it rip' with minimal damage.  It was said a year ago, possibly by me, that we shouldn't start judging how well individual countries and leaders have done until it's all over.  The NZ PM has been hailed as a hero, at least at the start.  How will she be seen this time next year when the rest of the world are getting on with it and they're still having lockdowns when a single person swabs positive.

And that is my point Wrighty, as and when they have the vaccination up to whatever rate they need they will still have a load of cases, if they are going for this eradication then god knows how it will all pan out for them.

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Their vaccination rates are much lower than here. 

Their vaccine rollout has been an abject failure. The messaging around the AZ vaccine has been utterly hopeless and self harming and they've screwed up on orders and deliveries of pfizer. Its underway a bit better now but at the same time they've had troops on the streets.

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Do you think they’ll have an ageing population crying like cunts on Twitter in two years time that it’s too soon, the health service can’t cope, they are all going to die horrible deaths hooked up to ventilators?

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Do you think they’ll have an ageing population crying like cunts on Twitter in two years time that it’s too soon, the health service can’t cope, they are all going to die horrible deaths hooked up to ventilators?

Don't know.  I've spent time in Australia, and my impression of the people there is not as you describe - they're far closer in my experience to the stereotypical Aussie bloke who'll punch coronavirus in the face while not spilling his beer, rather than cowering indoors.  But it was 18 years ago that I lived there.  Times change.  I've got a mate out there, I'll find out what the vibe is now.

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Don't know.  I've spent time in Australia, and my impression of the people there is not as you describe - they're far closer in my experience to the stereotypical Aussie bloke who'll punch coronavirus in the face while not spilling his beer, rather than cowering indoors.  But it was 18 years ago that I lived there.  Times change.  I've got a mate out there, I'll find out what the vibe is now.

I'm an Australian citizen mate. I know Aussies.

They won't stand for this shite I can tell you, not a fucking chance.

Edited by Nom de plume

12 hours ago, Anyone said:

I don’t think it matters that much who is CM. Economies tend to thrive in spite of , not because of government. In general government is an impediment to progress so the less  of it the better. What they tend to do best is of little benefit to anyone. What do they do best ? Basically lie , botch a lot of things , blame anyone and grovel for a gong.

I don't think this is right.

I do agree that a dumb government can ruin the environment so that commercial business cannot function eg Venezuala or Zimbabwe. However, successful economies need wealth creating businesses (for us Financial Services and Gaming and a small contribution from manufacturing) and these need a suitable environment which means transport links, property rights, educated workforce, legal and technological infrastructure, employment law, stable money supply and exchange rate, low crime and so on - these all require a functioning government. 

Thus, a thriving economy is a partnership between businesses which produce wealth and government which creates the right environment for the businesses to thrive. I am not suggesting that the Isle of Man is perfect, far from it, I can think of many unresolved issues but the fact that the economy has done well for many years must mean that this partnership has been reasonably successful.

• Like 2