IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

29 minutes ago, finlo said:

That's because misguidedly we tried to shut it out for the best part of two years!

How was it misguided when it was successfully shut out for the best part of two years?

I'm of the opinion that the "2 + 2" pathway with unrestricted access was a mistake. We know of two couples 2+2 who attended a wedding and all caught the virus. I am certain 2+2 with a test the next day, results by 20:00, would have been a perfectly acceptable entry criteria.

Sure those who have very recently caught the virus would get through undetected. But Guernsey got away with it for quite a while.

But if it's true that track and trace was being run down at the same time as relaxing border controls then someone needs to put them on a trowel...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

How was it misguided when it was successfully shut out for the best part of two years?

I'm of the opinion that the "2 + 2" pathway with unrestricted access was a mistake. We know of two couples 2+2 who attended a wedding and all caught the virus. I am certain 2+2 with a test the next day, results by 20:00, would have been a perfectly acceptable entry criteria.

Sure those who have very recently caught the virus would get through undetected. But Guernsey got away with it for quite a while.

But if it's true that track and trace was being run down at the same time as relaxing border controls then someone needs to put them on a trowel...

Because it was always going to tear through us upon opening up!

ETA leaving us much more susceptible to it from being kept away from reality!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Eradication is effectively a pointless exercise as Australia and NZ will ultimately realize.

Eradication/heavy suppression was not a pointless exercise, until the mass distribution of vaccine came along. Now it would be a pointless exercise, here at least.

• Like 1

Scott Morrison is fairly absurd himself.

He is right though, it is absurd, but so is Australia's hopeless vaccine rollout. A family member who if she was still here would be double jabbed weeks ago is waiting for a 1st dose next month. A decent wave there, which they haven't really had yet, would do some serious damage. They've massively screwed up, silly lockdowns and TROOPS on the streets in some places, and Morrison will be looking everywhere he can to pin blame.

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Not that much different to our response of gaoling people for leaving their homes and closing the whole island down for months on end. Australia will realize it’s all pretty unsustainable. 

It is unsustainable, it was supposed to be temporary to vaccinate as many people as possible. Despite Ashfords fannying about at the start and that bizarre two weeks off, we've got on pretty well with ours. Australia has been talking outright shit about Ox/Az so no one will take it and scrabbling around trying to order more Pfizer after completely cocking it up so far.

Ive been reading more about endemic coronaviruses, and our end point. It has to be the way to go, but it is still going to take several years of higher than normal death rates before things get settled and you can actually call the pandemic over. Even some of the more ardent zeros are coming around to this realisation now.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not sure I believe you that literally everyone attending a wedding caught covid. Were any of them in hospital? If not it doesn’t really matter as the point of all of this is to expose people to the virus now they are immunized to further build immunity. Eradication is effectively a pointless exercise as Australia and NZ will ultimately realize.

Eh? Where did I post "literally everyone attending a wedding caught covid" when I only know of two couples who did? Which could have just been two of them initially. 

Vaccinations to reach herd immunity was always the plan and presumably the timetable for opening the borders went along with this.

With the Delta variant being able to infect 2+2 folks apparently readily herd immunity is currently impossible to achieve. However I don't see any policy changes as a result.

Hopefully a booster jab program later in the year will include something specifically for Delta.

What I would like to see is the age and vaccination status of those being infected/hospitalised. It's just a bit difficult to make balanced decisions on personal risk without knowing all the facts.

21 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

My sources telling me all IOM travel restrictions being lifted next month.

I hope so.  The current situation is a bit odd.  I popped over on the boat this weekend.  Over there, life seems pretty much normal.  Over here, life is pretty much normal.  But on the boat it's masks, queue up once you're off (this side) to have your vaccine exemption scanned and show your ID.  I don't see much point in all this given that our rates of covid and the uk rates of covid are comparable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I hope so.  The current situation is a bit odd.  I popped over on the boat this weekend.  Over there, life seems pretty much normal.  Over here, life is pretty much normal.  But on the boat it's masks, queue up once you're off (this side) to have your vaccine exemption scanned and show your ID.  I don't see much point in all this given that our rates of covid and the uk rates of covid are comparable. 

It is all very peculiar & of course, madness itself. The Manx way it would seem.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Whenever someone mentions the delta variant I always find that’s a good time to stop any conversation because it’s usually the trump card people play when they haven’t scared anyone enough by talking about standard covid.

Lots of the older residents panic when deaths are reported as it’s never reported if they have underlying health issues, ages etc

On 8/12/2021 at 11:47 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Intelligent person. Guided nation through a pandemic. Holder of important position in national Government. Potential Chief Minister.

How does that compare with your achievements in life so far?

FUCK ME.

The irony of your name.

Are you genuinely trolling us or are you actually that fucking deluded.

You need your head checking you absolute plantpot. 

• Haha 1