IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Most delays are just waiting for funding. 

........and testing to the point of futility.

It goes back to the point raised a few days ago in Wrighty's account of the machinations at the 'pinnacle' of Manx healthcare decision-making.  In an emergency, rational and thought-out decisions have to be made - but quickly.  The niceties ie crossing the i's and dotting the t's can come later after the immediate threat is dealt with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

possibly more dangerous variants is still there.

This is utter and complete speculation generated by the COVID-for-ever cabal and pushed daily by the brain-dead MSM.  There will always be variants of anything in nature: trees, jellyfish, sheep and, shock-horror, viruses.  That's the way the system operates.  But to bring everything to a standstill or at least go into hiding on the certainty of the next variant coming along, which stands a 50/50 chance of being no more potent than the last, is insanity; a condition that seems to afflicted 'leaders' globally and which New Zealand and Australia are currently afflicted with.

• Like 1

A curious point relating to travel, especially to Malta, and their non recognition of the Manx Covid Vaccination Letters. As Malta is part of the Commonwealth, and our muppets love to ingratiate themselves early doors with the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, especially with courses etc. It’s surprising that not one of our esteem so called politicos have used their influence to educate Malta, and possibly use their contacts and supposed connections for the ‘good of the island’. Example - Rob Callister’s early constant boasting of CPA etc. 

Like Robertshaw commented in relation to the Liverpool Landing Stage fiasco, we sent in Civil Servants. If we had people with contacts and connections, able and wise enough to negotiate for the island we may be part of the way there. 

Unfortnately the Island will be treated as some backward and inbred community, not able to be recognised by foreign, or even Commonwealth jurisdictions. However, when it suits foreign jurisdictions and Commonwealth countries, they will recognise the island, but only if it is to their benefit! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

This is utter and complete speculation generated by the COVID-for-ever cabal and pushed daily by the brain-dead MSM.  There will always be variants of anything in nature: trees, jellyfish, sheep and, shock-horror, viruses.  That's the way the system operates.  But to bring everything to a standstill or at least go into hiding on the certainty of the next variant coming along, which stands a 50/50 chance of being no more potent than the last, is insanity; a condition that seems to afflicted 'leaders' globally and which New Zealand and Australia are currently afflicted with.

just following the science....

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I don’t actually know his age but I’d put him somewhere around 40-50, I’ll be able to say exactly when the obituary is posted. I know to someone younger that seems really old (probably twice their age) but it shocked me, especially someone otherwise healthy and ironically full of life. If I didn’t have the vaccine I would after seeing that.

Yes absolutely and that's completely understandable. 

Really, really sad news nonetheless. 

This sort of story is why I kind of don't agree with the current position on borders. (hear me out).

I'd love to know how much money is ACTUALLY coming into the economy from the coach loads of grannies and gangans and other tourists.

How much money are they actually spending LOCALLY to boost the economy and how much are they spending in businesses with UBO's overseas. 

Now from there we weigh up the risk to our vulnerable jabbed and unjabbed people. It's no stranger in terms of info that double jabbed people are dying as well, and a fair few of them. 

I really think the border approach at the current stage was a bit of a desperate shank at the ball for want of a better phrase. To open them whilst infection rates were knowingly climbing in the UK at quite a rapid rate and the UK hadn't even reached freedom day, surely that is a decision open to scrutiny and the ins-and-outs of how that decision making and policy was implemented are surely worthy of another roadshow in PAC. 

There has been deaths, and there has been a number of families now forever without their close relative/loved one, that they will never be able to talk to, or hug, or kiss ever again that may well come down to overall just poor decision making.

I know we need to get on with it, I know that. But we could have just got on with it a little longer with the borders closed.

I know people are desperate to see family, I know people are desperate to see friends, but we could have had a few less deaths if we just waited to see the situation in the UK plateau and just assess how it developed. 

It could have really made a difference, and I know hindsight makes it so easy to comment, but it was utter sense.

To conclude I feel it was a bit of a 'inner-circle' 'the greater good' hot-fuzz-esque decision made by the old boys club...oh sorry CoMin I mean.

Does anybody have any points on the contrary to refute this? 

If you want somebody like me with common-sense thinking in power, don't you worry I'll be standing in the 2026 General Election. I'm unfortunately just SLIGHTLY too young at the moment as I wouldn't be able to granny-farm. They'd see me on the doorstep and think "oo a young man in 2021. He probably wants to stab me for heroin money!"  

Edited by Hugh G Rection

8 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The horse has well & truly bolted now though.

Continued border restrictions, testing & isolation requirements are just about as tedious & unnecessary as me having to keep bringing it up.

Completely agree.

But should this be heard in the public forum in order to bring accountability to any potential advice ignored and disregarded by the big boys club?

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No, you're not.

So these claims are false then:

Every time someone catches the virus there is a chance of a new variant appearing.

People die from the current main variant known as Delta.

When the virus gets into an old folks/care home the results are absolutely brutal.

Politicians ALWAYS make their decisions based on the science.

Right?

Now I'm not hiding away or any of the rest of the nonsense hyperbole thrown at those who think a cautious approach is the best one. However I think the infection rate would have been a lot lower had those who arrived on the "2+2 pathway" been made to self-isolate until having a negative test result. The turnaround of which was in our case tested in the morning result by 19:00 that evening.  I can't see anyone pushing back on that sensible approach.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

A curious point relating to travel, especially to Malta, and their non recognition of the Manx Covid Vaccination Letters. As Malta is part of the Commonwealth, and our muppets love to ingratiate themselves early doors with the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, especially with courses etc. It’s surprising that not one of our esteem so called politicos have used their influence to educate Malta, and possibly use their contacts and supposed connections for the ‘good of the island’. Example - Rob Callister’s early constant boasting of CPA etc. 

Well if they can't even get things sorted out with Guernsey, it's hardly likely they could manage further afield.  And of course Guernsey and the rest did manage to produce evidence of vaccination that Malta would accept, only the Isle of Man couldn't.

I think there's several interacting problems here.  The first is that Manx politicians are terrified to do anything off their own bat - they need to be told what to do by a civil servant.  So all those personal links with other countries, which can indeed be very helpful, simply aren't used because the civil servants don't want the politicians operating without their say-so.

Secondly, as we saw from Dr Ranson's evidence, while stopping any initiative on the part of politicians, the civil servants don't have ideas of their own.  All they seem capable of is copying what the English do and then sticking their own heading on it.  So in a situation which is specific to the Isle of Man they simply close their eyes and hope it will go away or that Mummy England will come and sort it out for them.

Thirdly there seems to be some sort of ongoing battle already taking place between DHSC and Manx Care where the DHSC just claims that everything is Manx Care's job, even when in this case it isn't.  So both will be demanding that the other sort it out.

Finally there's a culture where all decisions must be dragged out as long as possible and as many people included in them as possible.  This is partly to justify all these elaborate hierarchies and tiers of management and partly it's to spread the blame as thinly as possible.  A lot of these problems could be quickly solved by a few zoom calls between some lowish-level technical people, but that would undermine the 'proper' way of doing things.

• Like 5

The testing on arrival was marginally effective with those already symptomatic and days into their infection but of little use to those newly infected an just into the incubation period. You could have become infected with the virus a couple of days prior to travel and produce a negative result on arrival. The cautious approach is still the right one but it's always down to individual sensibilities. I'm clinically vulnerable but have confidence that my personal hygiene regime; mask in crowded places, regular gel/hand/face-washing and distancing, will help protect myself and others. It's really not that difficult and of little hassle. Relax and remain cautious.

@P.K. Probably still has me on ignore, can someone ask him what, at this stage, the alternatives are? 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well if they can't even get things sorted out with Guernsey, it's hardly likely they could manage further afield.  And of course Guernsey and the rest did manage to produce evidence of vaccination that Malta would accept, only the Isle of Man couldn't.

There's a simple solution. As the vaccine makes people magnetic just scan them with a magnet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, quilp said:

The testing on arrival was marginally effective with those already symptomatic and days into their infection but of little use to those newly infected an just into the incubation period. You could have become infected with the virus a couple of days prior to travel.

In general that's true, but one thing that seems to be clear about the Delta variant is that the incubation period is shorter than with previous ones - maybe only a couple of days on average.  This is linked to it being more infectious and producing a higher viral load.  It's still not going to pick up anyone infected on the boat, but it should get a high proportion of those infected recently.

• Like 1