IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

31 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So these claims are false then:

Every time someone catches the virus there is a chance of a new variant appearing.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

However with so many folks as yet unvaccinated the creation of new, possibly more dangerous variants is still there.

I can't really be bothered explaining why you are wrong, but whatever 'science' you think you're following I suggest you change it.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In general that's true, but one thing that seems to be clear about the Delta variant is that the incubation period is shorter than with previous ones - maybe only a couple of days on average.  This is linked to it being more infectious and producing a higher viral load.  It's still not going to pick up anyone infected on the boat, but it should get a high proportion of those infected recently.

Exactly.

Previously one of the CI's (Guernsey?) did test on arrival and then away you go and got away with it for quite a while. But that was with a previous variant.

37 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In general that's true, but one thing that seems to be clear about the Delta variant is that the incubation period is shorter than with previous ones - maybe only a couple of days on average.  This is linked to it being more infectious and producing a higher viral load.  It's still not going to pick up anyone infected on the boat, but it should get a high proportion of those infected recently.

Delta variant carrying 1000 times the viral load of the original coronavirus. 

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Here's more science to follow

the kids are alright

I feel really bad for clearly terrified people like PK.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

So these claims are false then:

Every time someone catches the virus there is a chance of a new variant appearing.

People die from the current main variant known as Delta.

When the virus gets into an old folks/care homes the results are absolutely brutal.

Politicians ALWAYS make their decisions based on the science.

Right?

Now I'm not hiding away or any of the rest of the nonsense hyperbole thrown at those who think a cautious approach is the best one. However I think the infection rate would have been a lot lower had those who arrived on the "2+2 pathway" been made to self-isolate until having a negative test result. The turnaround of which was in our case tested in the morning result by 19:00 that evening.  I can't see anyone pushing back on that sensible approach.

Have to say the last time I visited an old folks/care home there were no kids staying there.

Tut tut "clearly terrified" indeed. Laughable!

You'd have thought people would have become less hysterical with the availability of several very effective vaccines, but no. #plagueisland stupidity, counting how many people are wearing masks, shutting down care homes and people holding on to things they were told last year that have been superseeded by facts. 

I fucking hate the doomers.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Banker said:

People like you would have us locked down constantly 

For balance, I very much doubt that situation is what @P.K. wants. And it doesn't seem to me he's, "clearly terrified" justifiably apprehensive at best, but not terrified. There are a great many who still share the same sentiment and hopefully any fears will be allayed over time as we open up gradually and infections level out. I think Teapot is near the mark when he said we're all gonna contract it eventually, maybe not all of us but the majority will experience it to varying degrees.

Stay healthy, eat your greens, no kissing behind the bike-sheds. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You'd have thought people would have become less hysterical with the availability of several very effective vaccines, but no. #plagueisland stupidity, counting how many people are wearing masks, shutting down care homes and people holding on to things they were told last year that have been superseeded by facts. 

I fucking hate the doomers.

GO BACK TO IRELAND THEN!!!!!!

gcp000009.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

For balance, I very much doubt that situation is what @P.K. wants. And it doesn't seem to me he's, "clearly terrified" justifiably apprehensive at best, but not terrified. There are a great many who still share the same sentiment and hopefully any fears will be allayed over time as we open up gradually and infections level out. I think Teapot is near the mark when he said we're all gonna contract it eventually, maybe not all of us but the majority will experience it to varying degrees.

Stay healthy, eat your greens, no kissing behind the bike-sheds. 

This is where the messaging is awful from governments everywhere. 

Tell the truth. 

No one is talking about  it. It's like they've got to 'freedom day' in the UK and are now hoping it'll just go away and our own government is completely absent. There's not much coming out of Europe that I can find either, although my language skills are limiting.

I just don't understand why there's this massive lull of adequate leadership and communication talking about the future. I was joking a bit with PK being terrified, but he's clearly overly concerned, and there are a great many older people who definitely are. It's easy to take the piss, I do it too, but really we need to help these people. They've been sucked into a negative spiral that they can't get out of, partly cos of the shit coming out of isage, Deepti & co, partly because governments have been so shit, partly from something else that might be in their own heads.

I tried talking to some of the doom covern on twitter the other week, a couple of them have medical backgrounds, they are clueless as to the future and see no further than the mask on their face, still holding on to the idea of total elimination.

Wake up to the reality, there is nothing special or unique about SARS-Cov-2, get jabbed and get on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who pissed in this miserable bastards Corn Flakes today?

Literally can't have a laugh can he? Tell me what my friend has said that is actually that bad.....

Such a lengthy ban for something so fucking minor.

I thought Lawyers were intelligent, just fucking twats clearly the lot of them.....

Untitled.png

Edited by FUKJOHNWRIGHT

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well if they can't even get things sorted out with Guernsey, it's hardly likely they could manage further afield.  And of course Guernsey and the rest did manage to produce evidence of vaccination that Malta would accept, only the Isle of Man couldn't.

I think there's several interacting problems here.  The first is that Manx politicians are terrified to do anything off their own bat - they need to be told what to do by a civil servant.  So all those personal links with other countries, which can indeed be very helpful, simply aren't used because the civil servants don't want the politicians operating without their say-so.

Secondly, as we saw from Dr Ranson's evidence, while stopping any initiative on the part of politicians, the civil servants don't have ideas of their own.  All they seem capable of is copying what the English do and then sticking their own heading on it.  So in a situation which is specific to the Isle of Man they simply close their eyes and hope it will go away or that Mummy England will come and sort it out for them.

Thirdly there seems to be some sort of ongoing battle already taking place between DHSC and Manx Care where the DHSC just claims that everything is Manx Care's job, even when in this case it isn't.  So both will be demanding that the other sort it out.

Finally there's a culture where all decisions must be dragged out as long as possible and as many people included in them as possible.  This is partly to justify all these elaborate hierarchies and tiers of management and partly it's to spread the blame as thinly as possible.  A lot of these problems could be quickly solved by a few zoom calls between some lowish-level technical people, but that would undermine the 'proper' way of doing things.

Looks like a Civil ‘Servants’ War. Then when something goes awry …………. the Manx default of doing nothing comes into play.

3 minutes ago, FUKJOHNWRIGHT said:

Who pissed in this miserable bastards Corn Flakes today?

Literally can't have a laugh can he? Tell me what my friend has said that is actually that bad.....

Such a lengthy ban for something so fucking minor.

I thought Lawyers were intelligent, just fucking twats clearly the lot of them.....

Untitled.png

That’s a bit harsh. He is definitely firm but extremely fair, probably one of the few with intelligence. There is no need for abuse on here, leave that to the other sites.

• Like 4