IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Been a massive success too hasn't it? 

I'm sure there are some circumstances where wearing a properly fitted good quality mask is useful, but not all the time and everywhere like some people seem to think. Especially rubbish fabric ones or sadly a snood. They just don't work.

Don't you wear a snood? I bought a tartan fabric one to protect me from the CORONA but instead I just get beard rash from it.

Basically we just need to stop fucking moaning and get on with our lives, please and thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I wear a snood in the winter. It's practical. And warm.

I wore one under orders so I could get in a shop without any nonsense, not to save the world from a virus. Because they don't work.

Oh good. Was worried you were Josems alter ego for a minute.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It is difficult to respond to you saying 'herd immunity' because a lot of people don't use it in the correct way. The chances of herd immunity in the way we have for measles is zero. This is why its hugely important to give so many people immunity through vaccine, so that Covid as a disease mostly goes away, and people mostly just get colds. Like with the other human coronaviruses that are entirely normal to us now, put likely caused pandemics in the past (the key bit here as to why there is nothing special about it).

I understand perfectly where you are coming from. However:

Why living with Covid would not be the same as flu

Analysis: coronavirus is more infectious and more lethal than influenza, and we lack the same global protection mechanism

As England prepares to ease coronavirus restrictions further, the messaging from ministers has changed. We have reached, it seems, a tipping point in the pandemic where rules will be replaced by personal decisions. The mantra now is about living with coronavirus, much as we do with seasonal flu.

The pandemic has invited countless comparisons between coronavirus and influenza and the diseases do have some features in common. Both are infectious, potentially lethal respiratory viruses. They can spread through aerosols, droplets and contaminated surfaces. And they share some of the same symptoms in the form of fever, cough, headaches and fatigue. In the winter ahead, one challenge the NHS faces is separating the Covid patients from the flu cases.

But there are striking differences between coronavirus and flu that matter for public health. Coronavirus spreads faster than influenza and can cause far more serious illness. The symptoms of coronavirus can take longer to show, and people tend to be infectious for longer, making them more prone to passing it on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/05/why-living-with-covid-would-not-be-the-same-as-flu

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Analysis: coronavirus is more infectious and more lethal than influenza, and we lack the same global protection mechanism

As England prepares to ease coronavirus restrictions further, the messaging from ministers has changed. We have reached, it seems, a tipping point in the pandemic where rules will be replaced by personal decisions. The mantra now is about living with coronavirus, much as we do with seasonal flu.

The pandemic has invited countless comparisons between coronavirus and influenza and the diseases do have some features in common. Both are infectious, potentially lethal respiratory viruses. They can spread through aerosols, droplets and contaminated surfaces. And they share some of the same symptoms in the form of fever, cough, headaches and fatigue. In the winter ahead, one challenge the NHS faces is separating the Covid patients from the flu cases.

But there are striking differences between coronavirus and flu that matter for public health. Coronavirus spreads faster than influenza and can cause far more serious illness. The symptoms of coronavirus can take longer to show, and people tend to be infectious for longer, making them more prone to passing it on.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/05/why-living-with-covid-would-not-be-the-same-as-flu

I'll read that whole thing soon, but I note from the bit you have pasted that there is no mention of the vaccines. The coronavirus vaccines are far more effective than flu jabs. Far more. 

I would like to see a model of the effect of an endemic Delta variant on life expectancy using the current vaccine roll-out rate. Especially as it appears you need two jabs.

Jabbed adults infected with Delta ‘can match virus levels of unvaccinated’

Fully vaccinated adults can harbour virus levels as high as unvaccinated people if infected with the Delta variant, according to a sweeping analysis of UK data, which supports the idea that hitting the threshold for herd immunity is unlikely.

There is abundant evidence that Covid vaccines in the UK continue to offer significant protection against hospitalisations and death. But this new analysis shows that although being fully vaccinated means the risk of getting infected is lower, once infected by Delta a person can carry similar virus levels as unvaccinated people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/19/jabbed-adults-infected-with-delta-can-match-virus-levels-of-unvaccinated

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Here is another article saying much the same thing, although less technical and more american

With the flu, we as a society generally agree on the risk we were willing to tolerate. With COVID-19, we do not yet agree.

Yes, the final paragraph says it all:

With the flu, we as a society generally agree on the risk we were willing to tolerate. With COVID-19, we do not yet agree. Realistically, the risk will be much smaller than it is right now amid a Delta wave, but it will never be gone. “We need to prepare people that it’s not going to come down to zero. It’s going to come down to some level we find acceptable,” Downs says. Better vaccines and better treatments might reduce the risk of COVID-19 even further. The experience may also prompt people to take all respiratory viruses more seriously, leading to lasting changes in mask wearing and ventilation. Endemic COVID-19 means finding a new, tolerable way to live with this virus. It will feel strange for a while and then it will not. It will be normal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

the starting point is entirely different for both.

12 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Dicks in charge have been telling us to wear a mask to protect against it for ages!!

The 'Dicks' in charge are precisely that.  They have become items of political virtue signalling and nothing more vis HOC 2 days ago.

If 'the Dicks' had declared, as they did initially:'' nah, don't bother with masks - don't really achieve anything - better off without them - just breathing in your own bugs and mucus''  - that would have decimated the 'fear' message.

As a reminder - no conspiracy theory, just fact:

screenshot.png.f076ff735a0b99637a12736136a53c76.png

I've never heard of "Long Flu" but I have heard of "Long Covid".

According to the ONS some 385,000 folks in the UK have been suffering from the debilitating condition for more than 12 months and there are 962,000 people in the UK with multiple symptoms four weeks after initial infection.

That's a lot of people suffering a lot of pain because of covid.