IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

That’s because it was never given a trendy name to grab the headlines

Do you honestly think everyone who gets flu recovers back to exactly as they were before?

I honestly believe that "Long Covid" is a very serious condition. If "Long Flu" creates the same number with the same level of debilitation I'm sure correlations would have already been made.

Having said that I recall a program that was comparing Covid to "Spanish Flu", as you do, and that mentioned folks continuing to suffer but then it made people very very ill and killed at least 50m.

ETA - so how does "long flu" compare in terms of numbers, debilitation and length of time suffering compared to Long Covid?

Edited by P.K.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

. The coronavirus vaccines are far more effective than flu jabs. Far more. 

only because at the moment there are a lot less  strains of CV around and the vaccine is claimed to deal with most of them,  when covid has mutated as much as the flu with 100's of variants the vaccines will be just as useful as the flu jab which oddly enough we aren't getting pushed down our throats . in a few years time PK's post will be redundant, the quicker we get there the better.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I would like to see a model of the effect of an endemic Delta variant on life expectancy using the current vaccine roll-out rate. Especially as it appears you need two jabs.

Jabbed adults infected with Delta ‘can match virus levels of unvaccinated’

Fully vaccinated adults can harbour virus levels as high as unvaccinated people if infected with the Delta variant, according to a sweeping analysis of UK data, which supports the idea that hitting the threshold for herd immunity is unlikely.

There is abundant evidence that Covid vaccines in the UK continue to offer significant protection against hospitalisations and death. But this new analysis shows that although being fully vaccinated means the risk of getting infected is lower, once infected by Delta a person can carry similar virus levels as unvaccinated people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/19/jabbed-adults-infected-with-delta-can-match-virus-levels-of-unvaccinated

Which is why the sensible thing to do is wear face coverings, not for your own protection, you need a lot more than a snood for that but to protect your fellow humans.

This is why we need both here and in the wider world a law to wear face coverings in crowded indoor spaces.

Just recommending them just sees people who think it is protecting themselves wearing them and a few people that "get it" 

The island like most places is full of uneducated persons, that is the trouble. In normal circumstances they only harm themselves, in this case with Covid, their stupidity hurts others.

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Having said that I recall a program that was comparing Covid to "Spanish Flu", as you do, and that mentioned folks continuing to suffer but then it made people very very ill and killed at least 50m.

A better comparison would be to the 'russian flu' of ~30 years earlier. 

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Have you heard of post viral fatigue syndrome?

Indeed. These people talk about 'Long Covid' as if it is some kind of new phenomenon. People have struggled to overcome viruses long after the clinical symptoms have disappeared for millenia. Now we have given it a name to make it sound exotic and unique.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Indeed. These people talk about 'Long Covid' as if it is some kind of new phenomenon. People have struggled to overcome viruses long after the clinical symptoms have disappeared for millenia. Now we have given it a name to make it sound exotic and unique.

As someone who has suffered from post viral fatigue, it is not a walk in the park I can tell you.

I was as fit as the proverbial fiddle back when I had it, early 2000,s and it knocked me sideways for at least 6 months.

Look at Mark Cav' for similar, if you get a really bad viral infection, of any type, it can really screw up your whole life, especially if your job depends on physical activity as  mine did at the time and as Cav's does. 

The people in denial of "Long Covid" just need to Google a bit, its not unique but is symptoms can be life changing. Yes I know there are more CS the world over that have fallen to it but that does not mean its not very real even in the people who generate the their wages. 🙂

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

BECAUSE IT ISN'T THE FLU

You know, like it says in the article you posted earlier. 

Come on PK, you're brighter than you're portraying yourself here. 

Hang on. We've gone from Alpha to Delta in what - 18 months or thereabouts? And already we need a modified vaccine to deal with Delta. If one can be made of course.

You simply cannot know what unique mutation will be next.

3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

As someone who has suffered from post viral fatigue, it is not a walk in the park I can tell you.

I was as fit as the proverbial fiddle back when I had it, early 2000,s and it knocked me sideways for at least 6 months.

Look at Mark Cav' for similar, if you get a really bad viral infection, of any type, it can really screw up your whole life, especially if your job depends on physical activity as  mine did at the time and as Cav's does. 

The people in denial of "Long Covid" just need to Google a bit, its not unique but is symptoms can be life changing. Yes I know there are more CS the world over that have fallen to it but that does not mean its not very real even in the people who generate the their wages. 🙂

So let's just call it post viral fatigue then. Which is exactly what it is. 

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Hang on. We've gone from Alpha to Delta in what - 18 months or thereabouts? And already we need a modified vaccine to deal with Delta. If one can be made of course.

You simply cannot know what unique mutation will be next.

Do we? That's very much up for debate. 

Why are people so determined to shit on the vaccines? They stop you from getting too sick. 

I read the Guardian too PK, but some of their coverage of this has been bonkers, and unfortunately it leaves people with very little hope.

• Like 1