IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

16 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Now I see that your opinions are driven pretty much exclusively by that single article.

Fuck off.

Edit - change of mind. No they are not, and it is offensive to suggest so. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Haha 1

Just need the unvaccinated to come forward & hopefully we will see a lot less cases, hospital admissions etc across UK & IOM

WTbrf7hc_x96.jpg

The great majority of adults have been vaccinated. Four weeks working on a COVID ward makes stark the reality that the majority of our hospitalised COVID patients are unvaccinated and regret delaying. Some are very sick including young adults. Please don't delay your vaccine.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just need the unvaccinated to come forward & hopefully we will see a lot less cases, hospital admissions etc across UK & IOM

WTbrf7hc_x96.jpg

The great majority of adults have been vaccinated. Four weeks working on a COVID ward makes stark the reality that the majority of our hospitalised COVID patients are unvaccinated and regret delaying. Some are very sick including young adults. Please don't delay your vaccine.

Highly emotive.

Pulls on the heart strings. 

Pity they don't offer a hair-lossitis and slimyfuckfaceitis vaccine. 

27 minutes ago, Darkness Incarnate said:

Highly emotive.

Pulls on the heart strings. 

Pity they don't offer a hair-lossitis and slimyfuckfaceitis vaccine. 

we'll keep your place at the head of the queues as you need them most.   

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

we'll keep your place at the head of the queues as you need them most.   

I'll keep your place at the head of the queue for Markwell House on a Thursday morning as your lack of capitalisation to begin a sentence has disturbed me and henceforth manipulated my inference over the type of person you must be.

Don't worry mate I'll look out for your Kappa tracksuit and K. Swiss shitflickers to identify you and funnel you in first.

Are you on income-based or contribution based?

Edited by Darkness Incarnate
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Fuck off.

Edit - change of mind. No they are not, and it is offensive to suggest so. 

Up yours

I had never heard of Russian flu until you quoted it from that article and it's very obvious that you just love "variantophobia" again from the same source.

Just don't bother trying it on....

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Up yours

I had never heard of Russian flu until you quoted it from that article and it's very obvious that you just love "variantophobia" again from the same source.

Just don't bother trying it on....

I mean, it's not my only source. 

I'm trying to be helpful and hopeful. If you remember right back at the start of the first lockdown a major concern people had was about mental health. I think most people thought that was directly referring to people being locked up at home and drinking too much probably, but I think it's having a much more serious and long term effect. People have got themselves stuck in downward spirals of never ending fear. I'd very much like to help those people out,but there's not much I can really do. Looking for a way out of this mess is a way, I read an awful lot and if I find things that I think are relevant, useful, interesting or even silly then I'm happy to share. 

That particular article summed up nicely a lot of what I'd been reading from others. It isn't the only source, and infact you could look back a few days to see a different one saying a similar thing, or even further back where I posted one with the author's of a study about the 1890 pandemic. There was also part of a conversation with wrighty about it. 

So don't just dismiss it out of hand because you've been reading Deepti in the Guardian and you've got the fear. Cheer up, it'll be over one day.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Though some senior scientists attest to herd immunity being "myhtical" with the emergence of the Delta variant. Is it considered that we have herd immunity to our seasonal cold or 'flu variants?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/10/delta-variant-renders-herd-immunity-from-covid-mythical

True herd immunity was a Zero Covid Crew myth - they actually believed it was possible. 

The best that can be achieved is for Covid to be circulating like the cold and flu but without people getting seriously ill from it. That's what a good level of antibodies in the community should do.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

So don't just dismiss it out of hand because you've been reading Deepti in the Guardian and you've got the fear. Cheer up, it'll be over one day.

If you look I didn't dismiss it out of hand. In fact I stated that despite the organisations lack of transparency it shouldn't detract from the piece you refer to.

And I've never heard of Deepti except from you. I'm assuming he/she/it paints a less rosy picture of the future in the Grauniad than you do...?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

True herd immunity was a Zero Covid Crew myth - they actually believed it was possible. 

The best that can be achieved is for Covid to be circulating like the cold and flu but without people getting seriously ill from it. That's what a good level of antibodies in the community should do.

Unfortunately it takes down the elderly more readily and you can't stop folks growing old. Please don't try and be smart (and stupid) by claiming you can prevent them from aging by burying them.

However those more susceptible to the virus can be protected by herd immunity. Unfortunately this is looking impossible due to a more infectious variant(s), vaccine hesitancy and not much of an effort to vaccinate children.

It should still be the desired state though.

2 hours ago, quilp said:

A comprehensive article on the current research charting the effect on viral load exposure and the effectiveness of mask-wearing in obstructing contaminated aerosol/droplets. 

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6549/1439

The findings might not compare to the sentiments of some of our resident experts. A 5-minute read...

A bit more than a 5-minute read...

The article is basically a mathematical model of masks, rather than a summary of current research (although it draws parameters from recent publications).  The conclusion is that mask efficacy depends on levels of virus in the environment, such that it's incorrect to say that 'masks are 50% effective' or whatever.  In high levels of virus, masks are almost useless, but in lower levels where viral transmission is relatively low, masks have a proportionally greater effect on the likelihood of transmission.  It also concludes that for the highest efficacy, mask usage should be universal - source control of the infected plus protection of the uninfected - and they need to be worn correctly.

I'd still like to see a pragmatic study on mask usage that takes into account people fiddling with them, popping them under the chin to have a fag, constant slippage under the nose, incomplete usage etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1