IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

33 minutes ago, Gaz said:

All we have a few of us coming over in a couple of months, we've all been double jabbed, my question is are we going to be welcome there or like someone replied last week stay at home you covid carrying deceased f --ers

I have seen some comments like that online.  Embarrassing.

Yes you will be welcomed warmly by the vast majority of people.  There are only a handful of cranks who think the borders should still be closed left thankfully.

Hope you have a good trip.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Gaz said:

All we have a few of us coming over in a couple of months, we've all been double jabbed, my question is are we going to be welcome there or like someone replied last week stay at home you covid carrying deceased f --ers

I would not take much notice of what Stu Peters posts😊

6 hours ago, quilp said:

Though some senior scientists attest to herd immunity being "myhtical" with the emergence of the Delta variant. Is it considered that we have herd immunity to our seasonal cold or 'flu variants?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/10/delta-variant-renders-herd-immunity-from-covid-mythical

Of course we do, why do you think it is a mild virus for the vast majority of people. Time has given nature the opportunity to even the balance, as it will do with COVID. 

Unless we change the case definition of covid-19 (currently being a positive PCR, perhaps change to being admitted to hospital with low O2 sats?) we can never get herd immunity as it is now clear that the vaccines do not prevent people getting and spreading the virus. 

In any case herd immunity is a term that should be dropped. It is widely misunderstood, as demonstrated by posts on here. It is simply a situation where levels of immunity render the effective R as 1. If we keep testing everyone and finding cases as currently defined this will never happen. 

Talk instead about ‘endemic equilibrium’. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Unless we change the case definition of covid-19 (currently being a positive PCR, perhaps change to being admitted to hospital with low O2 sats?) we can never get herd immunity as it is now clear that the vaccines do not prevent people getting and spreading the virus. 

In any case herd immunity is a term that should be dropped. It is widely misunderstood, as demonstrated by posts on here. It is simply a situation where levels of immunity render the effective R as 1. If we keep testing everyone and finding cases as currently defined this will never happen. 

Spot on as usual. Yes herd immunity is a nonsense phrase. Should be herd 'affect' 

How about endemic stabilisation? 

35 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Herd immunity is the only phrase that most people understand. 'Endemic equilibrium' will get you a blank stare above a tea-stained mask from the rabid dogs in Tesco. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Herd immunity is the only phrase that most people understand. 'Endemic equilibrium' will get you a blank stare above a tea-stained mask from the rabid dogs in Tesco. 

Are there lots of mask wearers in Tesco , went in shoprite this week and saw only 2 wearing them 

4 hours ago, Banker said:

It’s the same if you’re wearing the disposable gloves, must be removed & the sanitizer used.

Exactly the same policy in UK hospitals or it was in Liverpool last month.

Just because they are disposable gloves, it doesn't mean they cannot be contaminated. If someone arrives at hospital wearing gloves, the staff have no way of knowing how long they have been wearing them, or what they have been doing whilst wearing them.

Similar with face masks I suppose. The effectiveness of masks (of whatever sort), such as it is, declines fairly quickly with use, and if someone arrives at hospital already wearing one, the staff have no idea how long it has been in use, and therefore how effective it is.

Edited by Newbie

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Are there lots of mask wearers in Tesco , went in shoprite this week and saw only 2 wearing them 

Victoria Road? That's strange, twice I was there last week and it was about 50/50, as with the staff. 

Edited by quilp

1 hour ago, Banker said:

With all the many 100s (1000s) of positive covid cases the Isle of Man has recorded, the track and trace data must have some general idea of where and how it is being picked up. I suppose with no such information being given, we have to assume that the supermarkets are no more or less a covid risk that say Strand Street or the pub or the workplace.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

With all the many 100s (1000s) of positive covid cases the Isle of Man has recorded, the track and trace data must have some general idea of where and how it is being picked up. I suppose with no such information being given, we have to assume that the supermarkets are no more or less a covid risk that say Strand Street or the pub or the workplace.

I thought track and trace had been abandoned.