IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 1st Jan 2021 there were 31,836 infections reported in the UK and and on that day 3368 were hospitalised

On 14th August 2021 there were 24567 infections reported and on that day 781 were hospitalised

We were virtually infection free on the 1st jan due to border restrictions, but of we were not then you could estimate that we would have had about 50 cases per day. Based on the UK ratio in January that would have given us about 5 hospitalisations per day. Lets say hospitalisations average 10 days that would equate to 50 in hospital

Using the same infection rate we have 13 in hospital which matches the current UK ratio (roughly)

Very arbitrary I know but shows the positive affect of the vaccine 

2 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Got to get the blame game ready for the autumn winter, Reading and Leeds festival this weekend, i bet the BBC reporters are sitting on the gates LFT's in hand testing the youths as they come out of the gates. 

DM headline will be 'Boris blames left wing youth's hedonistic summer on case numbers rise'.

Does it really matter? Genuine question.

Just now, The Chief said:

for a great swathe of the UK public of course it matters, you can't tut behind your copy of the daily mail if there's no one to blame.

I'm not 'tut tuting'. I was asking so no need to be rude and offend me by insinuating I read the Daily Mail.

The UK, rightly or wrongly, has opened up and permitted large public gatherings. Its inevitable that these will lead to mini outbreaks. The question of course is are they right or wrong to do this.

My opinion is yes they are. There will be causalities of this. That's not going to change for years so you can hide...but you can't hide for ever. But that's just my view. Don't mean I am necessarily right of course.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not 'tut tuting'. I was asking so no need to be rude and offend me by insinuating I read the Daily Mail.

The UK, rightly or wrongly, has opened up and permitted large public gatherings. Its inevitable that these will lead to mini outbreaks. The question of course is are they right or wrong to do this.

My opinion is yes they are. There will be causalities of this. That's not going to change for years so you can hide...but you can't hide for ever. But that's just my view. Don't mean I am necessarily right of course.

i wasn't meaning yourself tutting over a copy of the DM BTW, but there's a lot of people in the UK who will, my father in law being one of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You are correct. My comments were about the way Manx Radio reported it. As if to try and cause alarm.

We have to bear in mind that, although what you say is correct, people can be more vulnerable to becoming ill with COVID 19 due to other conditions. 

Also we have to be cognisant of the fact that the great proportion of persons who would likely to be hospitalised are vaccinated.  Therefore the data set for those unvaccinated is very small. Bearing this in mind if we had a fully unvaccinated population the number in hospital would be more like 50 with likely 2 or 3 deaths per week

Doing a very quick fag packet calculation, and looking at the efficacy of the vaccines vs the current infection rate - the number in hospital, vaccinated, is bang on what you would expect

Much better reporting from Isle of Man Newspapers that Manx Radios poor attempt

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=63379&headline=Half of Covid patients at the hospital have had both jabs&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

This really isn’t going the way the doom merchants predicted is it ?

Barely any mitigation measures and if we stopped testing people we wouldn’t even know it was here.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/islands-active-covid-cases-falls-below-500/?fbclid=IwAR1YKg0sy2RtY0DsuC7kzuiOjZ6iOmAk2nWTOByAyVa8_LqHxsCW1x5vOJQ

If we stopped the LFTs with 1000s testing themselves constantly that would help plus reduce the high continuous costs 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

If we stopped the LFTs with 1000s testing themselves constantly that would help plus reduce the high continuous costs 

But if people aren't testing themselves then how can they keep the drama in their lives going?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To be fair, I wasn't a fan of LFT's until my recent experience where my partner returned from the UK and went on to develop symptoms (quite bad, couldn't catch her breath after coughing). She had a positive PCR and our children were using LFT's to monitor if they had contracted and were asymptomatic. There are people receiving cancer treatment in the wider family so we wanted to be sure after my partners isolation that the household were not incubating the virus.

I can see how some of the jittery people wanting masks mandated would be testing themselves every day for shits and giggles.

• Like 1

A family friend of ours who is a bit of a drama queen developed a slight summer cold and she couldn't wait to get an LFT done, convinced she had COVID. It turned out negative but she didn't let that stop her and she continued to take one every day and it continued to come back negative. She seemed genuinely disappointed at the end of the week that she hadn't joined some kind of elite club and just had a run of the mill summer sniffle. 

As I have said earlier, the damage this has done to some people psychologically will be felt within the GP's and health service for a long time to come. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Danoo said:

A family friend of ours who is a bit of a drama queen developed a slight summer cold and she couldn't wait to get an LFT done, convinced she had COVID. It turned out negative but she didn't let that stop her and she continued to take one every day and it continued to come back negative. She seemed genuinely disappointed at the end of the week that she hadn't joined some kind of elite club and just had a run of the mill summer sniffle. 

As I have said earlier, the damage this has done to some people psychologically will be felt within the GP's and health service for a long time to come. 

There’s loads doing this, several I know get a supply every week some have never shown any symptoms but continue with the tests ‘just to be safe ‘

• Like 1