IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s loads doing this, several I know get a supply every week some have never shown any symptoms but continue with the tests ‘just to be safe ‘

There have always been people like this, and apart from having to cover for their high absenteeism, they generally didn’t impact others whereas their continued jitters and  neurosis may influence politicians into decisions that affect everyone.

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Question: has anyone here used the Isle of Man issued letter confirming vaccination status to travel to the EU (Germany)? 

Not personally but someone I know got into France with it, printed off vaccinations record, had the patient access etc etc . Still there so not sure if any issues but they both got in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

To be fair, I wasn't a fan of LFT's until my recent experience where my partner returned from the UK and went on to develop symptoms (quite bad, couldn't catch her breath after coughing). She had a positive PCR and our children were using LFT's to monitor if they had contracted and were asymptomatic. There are people receiving cancer treatment in the wider family so we wanted to be sure after my partners isolation that the household were not incubating the virus.

I can see how some of the jittery people wanting masks mandated would be testing themselves every day for shits and giggles.

4 hours ago, Danoo said:

A family friend of ours who is a bit of a drama queen developed a slight summer cold and she couldn't wait to get an LFT done, convinced she had COVID. It turned out negative but she didn't let that stop her and she continued to take one every day and it continued to come back negative. She seemed genuinely disappointed at the end of the week that she hadn't joined some kind of elite club and just had a run of the mill summer sniffle. 

As I have said earlier, the damage this has done to some people psychologically will be felt within the GP's and health service for a long time to come. 

These posts to me demonstrate how LFTs should, and shouldn’t be used. In my view they’re best used to assure someone they’re safe to go to work if they know they’re a definite contact and are 2+2, rather than looking to be positive to get 10 days at home should you accidentally have a coughing fit on your own saliva. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Agree I’ve had to stop using my usual barber as it’s still like stepping into the main reaction at Chernobyl six months down the line. I can’t be arsed with the drama just to get haircut. Some people just need to get a grip. 

This sounds like Ron Smith’s next to Woolies!

Jesus, the media has done the job there like.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Agree I’ve had to stop using my usual barber as it’s still like stepping into the main reaction at Chernobyl six months down the line. I can’t be arsed with the drama just to get haircut. Some people just need to get a grip. 

Spot on. Exactly the same with mine. It must be a psychological flaw in people that cut hair for a living. 

4 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Spot on. Exactly the same with mine. It must be a psychological flaw in people that cut hair for a living. 

I'm surprised you even go to a barber. I'd have expected you to be keenly aware of changes to your hair length and if something went awry you'd change a few things to shorten it. If everyone took ownership of their hair we really wouldn't need the amount of barbers we have anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Or, more likely, it's the guidance from their trade association.  Also, personal services like hairdressing are probably very reluctant to risk another spell of time off work through Covid, they lose a lot of income. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Or, more likely, it's the guidance from their trade association.  Also, personal services like hairdressing are probably very reluctant to risk another spell of time off work through Covid, they lose a lot of income. 

I know Gladys. I was just being facetious.

16 hours ago, Danoo said:

A family friend of ours who is a bit of a drama queen developed a slight summer cold and she couldn't wait to get an LFT done, convinced she had COVID. It turned out negative but she didn't let that stop her and she continued to take one every day and it continued to come back negative. She seemed genuinely disappointed at the end of the week that she hadn't joined some kind of elite club and just had a run of the mill summer sniffle. 

As I have said earlier, the damage this has done to some people psychologically will be felt within the GP's and health service for a long time to come. 

It's not psychological "damage" (whatever that is) if people, particularly very vulnerable people, are being naturally cautious about a pandemic that can have fatal consequences. To me that's just common sense. Some folks may be a bit OTT about it but they're probably like that about everything!

More details published about those hospitalised by Covid but again no data on what age groups they are in. Makes it just a tad impossible to calculate the risk to you personally.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes it’s depressing I can’t handle it anymore. They should lead-line the whole shop and leave them to it. As you say proof the media has won there.

Turkish barber in castle street working normally, no masks in sight but you can request or wear one if you wish 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

Well we are in a pandemic, and this virus is transmitted by prolonged close contact with others.

But I see your point of course.

This is a classic case for the Isle of Man Government via the track and trace data to inform us, in fact inform the world. They MUST have the data for those testing positive if there is say, a high incidence of visiting the barber etc.

It's almost as if the Isle of Man Government is clueless. A rudderless ship bouncing through the seas of the pandemic*

*which is fine of course, in which case there should be a statement that no one has a particular fucking clue how the virus is transmitted.

Edited by Barlow
typo