IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Why the plateau at 70%? Palestinians? Strange religious sects for whom the vaccines aren’t Kosher?

I don't think they count the palestinians. There's definitely some resistance from the orthodox, I'm not too sure what else. (also 70% might not be totally accurate). There's a lot of info comes out of Israel and it often doesn't seem to stack up. Quilp seems to follow things pretty closely there, he may be better to answer. 

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

Why the plateau at 70%? Palestinians? Strange religious sects for whom the vaccines aren’t Kosher?

It doesn't include those in the Palestinian Territories (except I suspect Settlers).  Levels seem to be a bit lower among Israeli Arabs  but not massively (I saw figures a while back of 50% versus 60% Jews) and they only make up 20% of the population so that won't explain the difference.  A lot of the Ultra-Orthodox were opposed initially but seem to have done a U-turn around April/May time.  So they should be catching up.

They've been vaccinating 12 upwards for a while and it looks as if vaccination numbers are going up, but you have to take into account that 2 million booster (ie third) doses are included in that  But infections are at an all-time high, and it would be interesting to see what difference it makes.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

"follow the science"

So you put together a group of experts to advise, and then ignore that advice anyway.

Good work 

I don’t think that’s it. The JCVI look at the medical science, and don’t necessarily consider the economic and social aspects.  I think we all accept that most kids don’t need a vaccine to protect themselves from disease, but if by virtue of having one they’re less likely to take weeks off school, or have parents taking weeks off work, then that could be the benefit of vaccinating them?

Alternatively, stop testing kids, and treat covid in them as we ordinarily treat the usual coughs and colds of childhood - ignore them, and stay home if unwell (or you don’t fancy rugby on a wet November afternoon, and are only missing classical studies and history that day - sorry mum!)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I don’t think that’s it. The JCVI look at the medical science, and don’t necessarily consider the economic and social aspects.  I think we all accept that most kids don’t need a vaccine to protect themselves from disease, but if by virtue of having one they’re less likely to take weeks off school, or have parents taking weeks off work, then that could be the benefit of vaccinating them?

Alternatively, stop testing kids, and treat covid in them as we ordinarily treat the usual coughs and colds of childhood - ignore them, and stay home if unwell (or you don’t fancy rugby on a wet November afternoon, and are only missing classical studies and history that day - sorry mum!)

The way I've read it is that the benefit to vaccinating kids is so small it is almost pointless and that's why they've made the decision they have. You'd probably be able to do some maths about it, something along the lines of incidence of serious outcomes in kids per 100000 without vaccination and with. The difference will be so small as to make no difference, like 0.005 deaths without and 0.004 with or something. So 10 million doses at £20 a pop to keep 30 already unwell kids alive another 6 months or whatever. (obviously these are all made up illustrative figures).

I'm all for your alternative cheers.

Has anyone (double jabbed) returned to the IOM from an Amber list country via England recently? I see that England wants to see that you've pre-booked tests before you return. Do we get around this by entering IOM home address? Cheers

Edited by cheesypeas

1 minute ago, cheesypeas said:

Has anyone (double jabbed) returned to the IOM from an Amber list country via England recently? I see that England wants to see that you've pre-booked tests before you return. Do we get around this by entering IOM home address? Cheers

Someone recommended picking the “in transit” option on the forms. 

• Like 1