IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

I don’t think that’s it. The JCVI look at the medical science, and don’t necessarily consider the economic and social aspects.  I think we all accept that most kids don’t need a vaccine to protect themselves from disease, but if by virtue of having one they’re less likely to take weeks off school, or have parents taking weeks off work, then that could be the benefit of vaccinating them?

Alternatively, stop testing kids, and treat covid in them as we ordinarily treat the usual coughs and colds of childhood - ignore them, and stay home if unwell (or you don’t fancy rugby on a wet November afternoon, and are only missing classical studies and history that day - sorry mum!)

Totally agree. The one bit that annoys me about the IoM's current testing regime for travellers is the requirement for kids 13 to 15 to be tested and to isolate until they have a negative test. That seems really unfair on their age range? What suddenly makes a difference when you are 13 rather than 12. Every other age group can choose whether to be vaccinated or are exempt from testing so it does seem unfair to remain compulsory for one narrow age range who have no choice in the matter. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:00 PM, TheTeapot said:

I don't think they count the palestinians. There's definitely some resistance from the orthodox, I'm not too sure what else. (also 70% might not be totally accurate). There's a lot of info comes out of Israel and it often doesn't seem to stack up. Quilp seems to follow things pretty closely there, he may be better to answer. 

It is reported by Israeli authorities that although case numbers are rising they're seeing a large number of patients as less sick than might've previously been expected and returning home sooner thus easing pressure on local hospitals. The worry now seems to be directed at the emergence of the 'Mu' variant and the longevity of protection of the Pfizer vaccine after a 6 month period and thus its ability in dealing with new variants and the exponential rise in cases. The country continues the push in vaccinating its schoolchildren and  fears that the rise in cases has also been exacerbated by schools opening up after the holiday, increasing local familial transmission.

For these reasons Israel's Covid Czar has issued a presser that a fourth round of vaccinations may be necessary, and not just for those considered vulnerable. He says covid is here and here to stay...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/virus-czar-calls-to-begin-readying-for-eventual-4th-vaccine-dose/

Things are looking precarious for the Palestinian Arabs, though donations of vaccines from the US and UAE, supplies from Russia and other countries are getting through. Israel had offered one million doses of AZ to the PA but this was rejected because the vials were short-dated. Coupled with the PA's lack of organised infrastructure and inability to set centres up quick enough. It is thought that this wasn't the only reason. There are fears that hospital and clinic facilities could be quickly overwhelmed, numbers are slowly rising again after a lull and attributed to, as with Israel, schoolchildren returning from holiday. Israel has already vaccinated 105,000 of its palestinian workers employed by Israeli companies and at checkpoints entering and leaving Israeli territory. No jabs no jobs, it seems.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinians-receive-500000-coronavirus-vaccines-from-us/

Edited by quilp
The palestinian bit...
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Does anyone know if the Vax Exemption and Manx Entry Permit numbers are only for one journey or if it is intended that you go through the two stage process every time you travel away? 

How much of this faff did you encounter while away?

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Does anyone know if the Vax Exemption and Manx Entry Permit numbers are only for one journey or if it is intended that you go through the two stage process every time you travel away? 

The same exemption is used each time. No need to renew it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Landing form/locator only each time, now you’ve got the vaccine exemption numbers.

• Thanks 1

Thanks TOG and JW.  I thought that should be the case, but knowing how labyrinthine IOMG can be, I wondered.  There is nothing in the email to suggest they are permanent.  

@finlo No restrictions other than in the hotel where we were asked to wear masks while outside of our rooms.  No problem in restaurants or shops.  At a guess, I would say about 30/40% of people were masked.