IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Cases continue to drop only 16 new cases today plus none in ICU, do you think there’s less circulating or symptoms are so minimal people have stopped taking tests?

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/nobody-in-icu-with-covid-19/

We had a widely predicted wave of infection when the restrictions pretty much ended which partly because of the vaccine rollout being incomplete found a number of hosts who weren't quite ready so many people presented. Now, following this fairly significant wave and continued vaccinations there are less people about that will get ill. I've not really been following the figures but i think theyve been relatively stable for a couple of weeks before finally starting to slowly drop? Its a good sign when you consider there are basically no mitigations.

There will be another big wave of infection though, and vaccinated elderly or infirm people who catch it may get knocked off. Other 'immune naive' people, especially those over 50 are going to suffer too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Three cheers for the exit from ICU.  There seems to have been one person in there for weeks.  

Well, it might be worth hanging on with those cheers, this kind of thing has caught people out before after the government added crucial details as to why someone had left ICU several hours later.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Cases continue to drop only 16 new cases today plus none in ICU, do you think there’s less circulating or symptoms are so minimal people have stopped taking tests?

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/nobody-in-icu-with-covid-19/

Well the number in hospital actually rose to 10 but the person finally making it out of ICU is good news (providing it's not because they've been declared 'recovered' while still there or moved off Island).  And we need to be very careful about judging anything on one day's figures - especially if that day is a Monday.  But I get the impression that the average is going down a little over the last week, I'll try to look at some numbers.

It's not been going down as much as some people hoped though and the direction can reverse - as they have in the UK recently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Well, it might be worth hanging on with those cheers, this kind of thing has caught people out before after the government added crucial details as to why someone had left ICU several hours later.

Yeah, I was trying to be positive.... (not covid positive of course). 

31 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Three cheers for the exit from ICU.  There seems to have been one person in there for weeks.  

Doesn't necessarily mean they've got better. I hope so though. 

ETA Could also mean they’re been in long enough to drop off the Covid stats even though they’re still there. 

Edited by The Old Git

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

We had a widely predicted wave of infection when the restrictions pretty much ended which partly because of the vaccine rollout being incomplete found a number of hosts who weren't quite ready so many people presented. Now, following this fairly significant wave and continued vaccinations there are less people about that will get ill. I've not really been following the figures but i think theyve been relatively stable for a couple of weeks before finally starting to slowly drop? Its a good sign when you consider there are basically no mitigations.

There will be another big wave of infection though, and vaccinated elderly or infirm people who catch it may get knocked off. Other 'immune naive' people, especially those over 50 are going to suffer too. 

Yes, all those doom mongers predicting armageddon once the kids get back together. Where do they think these kids have been the past half a dozen weeks, in isolation? We have had half the kids under 6 on the street in our house most of the holidays, sharing paddling pools in the garden, eating from the same pizza slices and hugging as young kids do. Everyone has been fine. 

31 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Everyone has been fine. 

Not everyone has been fine. There have been 12 (?) deaths this wave, and the hospital has basically had a near full ward of covid patients now for 2 months.

It's going to carry on like this until everyone has caught it, possibly twice which is years away.

New Normal.

Edited by TheTeapot

46 minutes ago, Banker said:

There does seem some confusion over deaths & it seems we may have 3 more than we thought!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-responds-over-covid-19-deaths-statistics/

Interesting that this has been sidled out in the evening, although to give IOMGOV their due (I can’t believe I’m saying this), MR may have been sitting on the information while they did ‘investigative journalism.’ Sorry, I need to go and have a word with myself. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Yes, all those doom mongers predicting armageddon once the kids get back together. Where do they think these kids have been the past half a dozen weeks, in isolation? We have had half the kids under 6 on the street in our house most of the holidays, sharing paddling pools in the garden, eating from the same pizza slices and hugging as young kids do. Everyone has been fine. 

I expect there will be an increase with all the kids mixing in larger groups but things will likely settle down again after a week or so.

24 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Interesting that this has been sidled out in the evening, although to give IOMGOV their due (I can’t believe I’m saying this), MR may have been sitting on the information while they did ‘investigative journalism.’ Sorry, I need to go and have a word with myself. 

Presumably it came out this evening because the government only sent out their response at the end of the day.  Manx Radio actually did a news item on the discrepancy back on Friday (though again late in the day), and their figures seem to be correct. They are derived from the weekly report I linked to before:

image.png.cd4cae697cab5d7aa111a236cc108775.png

The are also two unconfirmed Covid deaths, where they presumably feature on the death certificate, but there's no positive Covid test.

The 'explanation' given by Ewart doesn't appear to be true - only one of the deaths seems to have been confirmed since last week, but in any case the figures should have been adjusted on that confirmation.  Instead they seem to have been included in 'recovered' and the deaths on the dashboard left at 13.

• Thanks 1