IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

My particular favourite Covid shenanigan is the travel mask wearing stipulations.

Planes & the Steam Packet. I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of travelling quite a bit recently.

Move around the cabin or vessel and wear your mask. 

Seated (ferry) or consuming food & drink (air) unmask.

Its so absolutely fucked up, it’s now actually hilarious.

I swear our grandkids will look back at these control measures & think - what in fucks name were those cranks thinking.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

My particular favourite Covid shenanigan is the Covid travel mask wearing stipulations.

Planes & the Steam Packet. I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of travelling quite a bit recently.

I swear our grandkids will look back at these control measures & think - what in fucks name were those cranks thinking.

Absolutely. They need to stop this rubbish, including the qr border rubbish immediately. Unfortunately, there is no government to make the decision and do it. It is completely bonkers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

My particular favourite Covid shenanigan is the Covid travel mask wearing stipulations.

It's one giant piss take, like on Ant & Dec where they get the celebrity to do more and more outlandish things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

My particular favourite Covid shenanigan is the travel mask wearing stipulations.

I was on the ferry last week.didnt wear a mask at any point, very few people did to be honest

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

I was on the ferry last week.didnt wear a mask at any point, very few people did to be honest

It needs more of this common sense to get things moving back to normal again. The ones who want to wear masks can crack on, the rest of us don't need protecting thanks. Not when we can get off the boat and go and immediately stand next to the same person maskless in Costa.

Edited by Danoo

2 minutes ago, Danoo said:

It needs more of this common sense to get things moving back to normal again. If the ones who want to wear masks then crack on, the rest of us don't need protecting thanks. 

But, but... the point of masks is not to protect the wearer, but others. 

I don't know how many times this has been said, but really? 

Mask wearing is a minor inconvenience.  If the science says it makes no difference, then throw them away. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But, but... the point of masks is not to protect the wearer, but others. 

I don't know how many times this has been said, but really? 

Mask wearing is a minor inconvenience.  If the science says it makes no difference, then throw them away. 

Exactly. The only reason for wearing them is to make the wearer feel better. But we all know that now. Some just want to cling on to poor science that has long since been left behind. 

13 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Exactly. The only reason for wearing them is to make the wearer feel better. But we all know that now. Some just want to cling on to poor science that has long since been left behind. 

No, the only reason is to protect others. People in the Far East have been wearing masks for years now (I think from the SARS1 outbreak).  

As I say, it is a minor inconvenience and the places where you are required to wear them are very few.  

I really don't see them as symbols of oppression, just reasonable mitigation.

I do, however, find the palaver to go to the UK with entry this and exemption that, completely unnecessary. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, the only reason is to protect others. People in the Far East have been wearing masks for years now (I think from the SARS1 outbreak).  

As I say, it is a minor inconvenience and the places where you are required to wear them are very few.  

I do, however, find the palaver to go to the UK with entry this and exemption that, completely unnecessary. 

A surgical grade mask may help protect other people from the current delta virus. A cheap home made face covering will not. However, it may have helped with the original virus which was not as airborne. Similarly, these cheap blue medical looking masks are also useless. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The Japanese were wearing masks for decades and it was not to protect the wearer from infection but vice versa to reduce the spread from the wearer if they had a cold or flu symptoms. Believe it goes back as far as the Spanish Flu. 

One new trend coming down the line is to have sinks outside WC areas so you can wash your hands before and after you go in.  Or at any point. It'll be interesting to see if there is any increase in use and presumably a reduction in all hand to mouth transmissable disease longer term too.  

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

A surgical grade mask may help protect other people from the current delta virus. A cheap home made face covering will not. However, it may have helped with the original virus which was not as airborne. Similarly, these cheap blue medical looking masks are also useless. 

I'm sorry you've said this before, but this is nonsense.  The 'original' virus wasn't as infectious, but it was spread in exactly the same way because it's the same virus.  There was some uncertainty about the main way it was spread initially, but it's been clear for a long time now that aerosols (ie very small droplets)  are the main way it is spread and that masks are the best way of stopping this.

Now as you say a lot depends on the mask, but any mask will have some effect, though better ones will hake a big difference and also provide more protection for the user.  Also if new variants are more infectious (or even as you believe more airborne) the use of masks becomes more important not less.

• Like 3