IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

No, the only reason is to protect others. People in the Far East have been wearing masks for years now (I think from the SARS1 outbreak).  

As I say, it is a minor inconvenience and the places where you are required to wear them are very few.  

I really don't see them as symbols of oppression, just reasonable mitigation.

I do, however, find the palaver to go to the UK with entry this and exemption that, completely unnecessary. 

The entry stuff was amazingly very simple and straightforward. 

Anyway just as autumn/winter approaches a new strain has been found to instill fear in all of us. So come the end of October entry to or from the UK might not be an issue.

Edited by thommo2010
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not a strong masker, but a pragmatic masker.  Happy to mask when required for along as it takes. 

It isn't a big issue. 

On the basis Covid is never going away and will remain endemic to a degree like most families of coronaviruses, are you planning to wear a mask indefinitely?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

For as long as what takes though?

That is a good question.  Personally,  it is for as long as Covid becomes "normalised".

TBH, I think the focus should be on normalisation.  We just have to understand that there are always risks to everyday life. With the vax, this is just another risk that we have to deal with.

Government has to take its foot off the pedal.  Otherwise, we will have a continuing infantile  need to be protected.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That is a good question.  Personally,  it is for as long as Covid becomes "normalised".

TBH, I think the focus should be on normalisation.  We just have to understand that there are always risks to everyday life. With the vax, this is just another risk that we have to deal with.

Government has to take its foot off the pedal.  Otherwise, we will have a continuing infantile  need to be protected.

Agree government needs to get it's fingers out of the border meddling. It's pointless and just bureacracy's for bureaucracy sake. 

Bloke from the local has just come back from a week away with his family before the kids went back to school. Fully vaxxed. Now has Covid after being back a few days. Likely picked it up across but as he was double jabbed walked straight through off the ferry. Whereas my nephew can't come over and see his cousins without tests and isolation because he's a teenager and hasn't had a vaccine. How do all these various border rules make any sense at all? 

Edited by Danoo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm sorry you've said this before, but this is nonsense.  The 'original' virus wasn't as infectious, but it was spread in exactly the same way because it's the same virus.  There was some uncertainty about the main way it was spread initially, but it's been clear for a long time now that aerosols (ie very small droplets)  are the main way it is spread and that masks are the best way of stopping this.

Now as you say a lot depends on the mask, but any mask will have some effect, though better ones will hake a big difference and also provide more protection for the user.  Also if new variants are more infectious (or even as you believe more airborne) the use of masks becomes more important not less.

Sorry Roger. Not the same virus. It is a variant.

Medical masks will help. Face coverings not at all. In cold weather, you can see water vapour blow straight through. Pointless. 

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

No, the only reason is to protect others. People in the Far East have been wearing masks for years now (I think from the SARS1 outbreak).  

Wearing masks was commonplace before SARS1 mainly due to crap air quality due to large numbers of cars and other pollutants

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cambon said:

You're hair-splitting here imo, Cambon. And on a good mask it's all about the weave of the fibres, a minimum of three layers. A mask becomes useless when those who want to wear one don't know how to fit it properly. It gives a false sense of insecurity...

Edited by quilp
Play on word intended...

58 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Medical masks will help. Face coverings not at all. In cold weather, you can see water vapour blow straight through. Pointless. 

It's a variant of the same virus (Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, SARS-CoV-2).  That's why it's a variant.  If it was a different virus it would be a different virus.

Any face covering will help a bit because it will stop some of the aerosol and its viral passengers, but obviously the more it stops the better it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Danoo said:

Bloke from the local has just come back from a week away with his family before the kids went back to school. Fully vaxxed. Now has Covid after being back a few days. 

Wondering... did this "bloke from the local" tell you of his covid woes while you were both belly-up to the bar?

11 hours ago, quilp said:

You're hair-splitting here imo, Cambon. And on a good mask it's all about the weave of the fibres, a minimum of three layers. A mask becomes useless when those who want to wear one don't know how to fit it properly. It gives a false sense of insecurity...

I am not splitting hairs. A bad mask, or a good mask used incorrectly can be more of a problem than no mask. 

• Like 3