IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a variant of the same virus (Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, SARS-CoV-2).  That's why it's a variant.  If it was a different virus it would be a different virus.

Any face covering will help a bit because it will stop some of the aerosol and its viral passengers, but obviously the more it stops the better it is.

If you look up Common Cold Virus, you will find that coronavirus is one of the main protagonists, and contracting it is all about contact. It is not airborne. Wash your hands, sanitise and keep surfaces, etc clean. Avoid touching people who may have it, and wash your hands again. 

No mention of masks on places like Webmed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cambon said:

...Coronavirus is... ...not airborne.

Ok, you win, trust you'll share your revelation with Hetty.

23 minutes ago, Cambon said:

No mention of masks on places like Webmed.

Er, Webmed would beg to differ.

I'd agree that precautions on hand/face-washing, contact, etc., to help prevent fomite transmission should continue even though the risk of this route of transmission appears very low. But the level of precautionary measures will be of personal choice and the responsibility of the individual, especially when co-morbities and immunocompromised patients are considered.

Edited by quilp

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

I am not splitting hairs. A bad mask, or a good mask used incorrectly can be more of a problem than no mask. 

I know what you mean - that it could lead to over-confidence and ignoring other mitigations - but in practice it seems to me that those wearing masks, whether absolutely correctly or not, are more likely to do things such as social distancing than those with no mask at all.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

If you look up Common Cold Virus, you will find that coronavirus is one of the main protagonists, and contracting it is all about contact. It is not airborne. Wash your hands, sanitise and keep surfaces, etc clean. Avoid touching people who may have it, and wash your hands again. 

There is no such thing as the "Common Cold Virus":

The common cold is an infection of the upper respiratory tract which can be caused by many different viruses. The most commonly implicated is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes. Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%),[31][32] influenza viruses (10–15%), adenoviruses (5%,) human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus. Frequently more than one virus is present. In total, more than 200 viral types are associated with colds.

So Coronaviruses (note the plural) are only responsible for 15% of common colds.  These are different viruses from the one that causes Covid with different names.  But all these various viruses can be spread in a number of ways being "typically transmitted via airborne droplets (aerosols), direct contact with infected nasal secretions, or fomites (contaminated objects)".  

Different families of viruses may tend to favour different routes (fomites may be more important for rhinoviruses for instance) but coronaviruses are more likely to be spread in similar ways because they share physical characteristics.  

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Ok, you win, trust you'll share your revelation with Hetty.

Er, Webmed would beg to differ.

I'd agree that precautions on hand/face-washing, contact, etc., to help prevent fomite transmission should continue even though the risk of this route of transmission appears very low. But the level of precautionary measures will be of personal choice and the responsibility of the individual, especially when co-morbities and immunocompromised patients are considered.

It is not airborne. It is not zooming around like a fly looking for a host. Coronavirus can live for a short time within a droplet of water, which either is blown away, evaporates or falls to the ground / hard surfaces. Masks make little or no difference. If you go back nearly 20 years to SARS Bird Flu, were we told to wear masks then? No. We were told to wash our hands, keep surfaces clean and use tissues. And, that was only considered airborne due to droplets (not birds). 

But, I think I agree with Wrighty's post of quite some time ago. Covid 19 had now pretty much mutated into a common cold.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Covid 19 had now pretty much mutated into a common cold.  

You are one of the oddest posters on here, sometimes you make sense, but what on earth is this? No it hasn't.

We, humans, through a combination of vaccination and infection (preferably in that order) are adapting to make it one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I know what you mean - that it could lead to over-confidence and ignoring other mitigations - but in practice it seems to me that those wearing masks, whether absolutely correctly or not, are more likely to do things such as social distancing than those with no mask at all.

There is no such thing as the "Common Cold Virus":

The common cold is an infection of the upper respiratory tract which can be caused by many different viruses. The most commonly implicated is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes. Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%),[31][32] influenza viruses (10–15%), adenoviruses (5%,) human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus. Frequently more than one virus is present. In total, more than 200 viral types are associated with colds.

So Coronaviruses (note the plural) are only responsible for 15% of common colds.  These are different viruses from the one that causes Covid with different names.  But all these various viruses can be spread in a number of ways being "typically transmitted via airborne droplets (aerosols), direct contact with infected nasal secretions, or fomites (contaminated objects)".  

Different families of viruses may tend to favour different routes (fomites may be more important for rhinoviruses for instance) but coronaviruses are more likely to be spread in similar ways because they share physical characteristics.  

In my experience, over here at least, it is those wearing masks who don't socially distance! But that is something else! 

Your Wikipedia percentages differ greatly from WebMD, which I find more reliable. 

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/common_cold_causes

It is my opinion that Coronavirus causes more colds than most others. The reason being that colds are more common in Winter, when coronavirus is most prevalent. Rhinovirus is basically the summer cold. However, it is also around in spring and autumn. Rarely winter. 

• Like 1

Your normal type mask like they wear in hospitals is not stopping you catching much at all.

Their purpose is to stop you spreading your sh1t from your mouth and nose on others.

Its quite simple.

This is what pisses me off about mask haters, its to protect your fellow humans, not yourself, you selfish idiots.

If you want to protect yourself, you need serious masks and eye protection.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Your normal type mask like they wear in hospitals is not stopping you catching much at all.

Their purpose is to stop you spreading your sh1t from your mouth and nose on others.

Its quite simple.

This is what pisses me off about mask haters, its to protect your fellow humans, not yourself, you selfish idiots.

If you want to protect yourself, you need serious masks and eye protection.

I am a mask hater. I have been told that not wearing a mask means I am not taking things seriously by a mask fanatic.

Who are you protecting and what from if the majority are already vaccinated?

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I am a mask hater. I have been told that not wearing a mask means I am not taking things seriously by a mask fanatic.

Who are you protecting and what from if the majority are already vaccinated?

The Vax jabs don't stop transmissions.

Wearing a mask reduces the transmission of the virus.

Simples for simpletons

• Haha 1