IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Yes.

The vaccines are quite fantastic, so much so that the risk to society is gone and the pandemic phase is now over. 

They are. And we'll have a better idea of how fantastic the vax's really are come the end of April start of May 2022. I'm going with your earlier prediction of the consequences of colder weather on Covid transmission and infection rates during the coming winter months. I think your earlier post is correct about that. Covid's become endemic and will always be with us so I can't agree that the element of risk to the public hasn't exactly gone. 

Whatever will be will be. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, quilp said:

They are. And we'll have a better idea of how fantastic the vax's really are come the end of April start of May 2022. I'm going with your earlier prediction of the consequences of colder weather on Covid transmission and infection rates during the coming winter months. I think your earlier post is correct about that. Covid's become endemic and will always be with us so I can't agree that the element of risk to the public hasn't exactly gone. 

Whatever will be will be. 

Oh yeah I'm totally convinced that this winter will see an enormous wave of cases. I'm also sure that this winter will see an excess death rate above what could be considered normal, because humans are still getting used to it. If you look at winter deaths in a country over a period of years there is always one or two that will stand out, bad flu year that one or whatever. Vaccine induced immunity is very high here, so that'll keep the majority out of hospital but, and i'm not trying to sound callous here, unfortunately for some who are already old or infirm their time might have come. I'm not saying individual risk has gone, it never has, I'm saying the overall risk requiring society wide protections has gone.

Remember the GBD? That was very wrong last year, would have been catastrophic, but now maybe a little focused protection in vulnerable areas might actually be a good idea while everyone else just gets on with it. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3

I wonder how many actual flu deaths the UK will record this winter. Anyone remember the flu?

Highly transmissible, viral condition, particularly debilitating to the elderly, infirm & those of a less active nature.

Nasty bugger it was, used to kill thousands and thousands.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

Did we ever hear the outcome of the report in the IOMSPCO and the isolating crew?

Not that I have seen.  The PAC confirmed that Dr Ewart advised them that they didn't need to isolate, which contradicts what she said in the media briefings and the press.

Might be in this transcript: https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/pacspc210623.pdf

Lessons learnt, nothing to see here..

7 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I wonder how many actual flu deaths the UK will record this winter. Anyone remember the flu?

Highly transmissible, viral condition, particularly debilitating to the elderly, infirm & those of a less active nature.

Less transmissible than SARS-Cov-2. Some professionals have expressed concern that 18 months of social distancing and mask wearing might have lowered the population immunity and are predicting a pretty substantial return. See also RSV. 

That's the thing with some viruses, you catch them all the time which counterintuitively actually keeps you safe.

Edited by TheTeapot

59 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Get back in your bunker

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Ashford knows everything though fortunately. We are so blessed.

This is so true. His arrogance at the last briefing was astounding. Why answer medical and public health questions as if you are the leading expert on such things, and then hand over to the token professional for them to stroke your ego? Although I was pleased to see Dr Ewart correct him over the third vaccine v booster error. 

Our health minister’s assumption of omnicogniscence is frightening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

This is so true. His arrogance at the last briefing was astounding. Why answer medical and public health questions as if you are the leading expert on such things, and then hand over to the token professional for them to stroke your ego? Although I was pleased to see Dr Ewart correct him over the third vaccine v booster error. 

Only a fool thinks he knows everything.

35 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

In other word's he is a know all who knows f**k all but thinks he knows it all.

Aw, Howard's on his farewell tour of the UK, bidding fondest goodbyes to others of the great and good throughout the country with tales of our covid strategy derring-do. It's all there... 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-minister-in-london-on-farewell-tour/

Makes us proud so he does. 

Edited by quilp