IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 9/23/2021 at 9:42 AM, Nom de plume said:

Having seen what’s out there trying to get into the Keys in their place, my conclusion is this:

We’re fucked.

Sell up & get off.

Cases have been on the rise lately. And winter is coming.

I wonder which Chief Minister, among the likely candidates and possible outcomes, is more likely to keep the island fully open (as it is now mostly) throughout the long winter...

And when we will know who is going to lead us there?

The manifestos of the possible chief ministers don’t give much clue on this issue (they are not much ideological anyway; a welcome feature of island’s politics that spares us from populism).

Quayle and Ashford have been reasonable during the past six months. The island has moved a long way from Quayle’s zero-covid idiotic speech of early January. The tune of those speeches changed soon afterwards. I might have written some of his recent covid speeches, if I wanted to write political speeches. Amazing transformation. In retrospective, it has not been so horrible having them, Quayle and Ashford, as compared with what is going on in the shittier parts of Southern and Central Europe (a low bar of course).

I won’t obey to any further covid restrictions and would preferably stay out of Jurby (though there will be someone among you so kind to bring me oranges).

952907241_IOMCoviddashboard25September2021.jpg.541a3a23191e0fed8b369cb87105110a.jpg

1010892116_Covidtraveldecisionwillgodowninpoliticalhistorysayscampaigner19-Sep-21.jpg.db8e42a106f06a70f1a890d6270a6b0f.jpg

• Sad 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, Debbie said:

I wonder which Chief Minister, among the likely candidates and possible outcomes, is more likely to keep the island fully open (as it is now mostly) throughout the long winter...

The manifestos of the possible chief ministers don’t give much clue on this issue (they are not much ideological anyway; a welcome feature of island’s politics that spares us from populism).

Quayle and Ashford have been reasonable during the past six months. The island has moved a long way from Quayle’s zero-covid idiotic speech of early January. The tune of those speeches changed soon afterwards. I might have written some of his recent covid speeches, if I wanted to write political speeches. Amazing transformation. In retrospective, it has not been so horrible having them, Quayle and Ashford, as compared with what is going on in the shittier parts of Southern and Central Europe (a low bar of course).

I won’t obey to any further covid restrictions and would preferably stay out of Jurby (though there will be someone among you so kind to bring me oranges).

952907241_IOMCoviddashboard25September2021.jpg.541a3a23191e0fed8b369cb87105110a.jpg

1010892116_Covidtraveldecisionwillgodowninpoliticalhistorysayscampaigner19-Sep-21.jpg.db8e42a106f06a70f1a890d6270a6b0f.jpg

Who cares if cases are going up. We've moved on now. Borders are open, businesses are back and ICU isn't being troubled to breaking point. 

The next Chief Minister would be wise to let things roll and just worry about preserving the economy instead of going backwards at this stage.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

Who cares if cases are going up. We've moved on now. Borders are open, businesses are back and ICU isn't being troubled to breaking point. 

The next Chief Minister would be wise to let things roll and just worry about preserving the economy instead of going backwards at this stage.   

We're still a good way from being sorted, apparently...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-09-12/6-month-covid-outlook-2021

Edited by Max Power

Have to say I stopped following the figures a good month or so, it was only the recent headline of a decent number of cases (60+) that it pricked my interest, but as for my daily life it could be 600+ and I still wouldn’t live or do anything any differently, the world has moved on and things have changed.

The way this thread dropped off the radar makes me think more or less everyone is now on the same page. I was completely wrong about the case numbers, particularly hospital figures when the restrictions were relaxed. I was fully expecting to see a massive spike in ICU, deaths, overwhelmed services and it just didn’t happen.

In the back of my mind I’m still expecting to see a massive spike as we head towards the winter months, good chance that won’t happen either if these last few months are anything to go by.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Max Power said:

Covid is hardly a Manx virus.

We could do with a Manx variant (good for publicity, visitors, stamps, maybe a coin set too). Could we get Rachel to conjure one up maybe?

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Have to say I stopped following the figures a good month or so, it was only the recent headline of a decent number of cases (60+) that it pricked my interest, but as for my daily life it could be 600+ and I still wouldn’t live or do anything any differently, the world has moved on and things have changed.

The way this thread dropped off the radar makes me think more or less everyone is now on the same page. I was completely wrong about the case numbers, particularly hospital figures when the restrictions were relaxed. I was fully expecting to see a massive spike in ICU, deaths, overwhelmed services and it just didn’t happen.

In the back of my mind I’m still expecting to see a massive spike as we head towards the winter months, good chance that won’t happen either if these last few months are anything to go by.

Fair play for admitting the doom and gloom mongers predictions were way, way over the top.  The fear that was being spread around borders opening and the removal of restriction post vaccines was awful.  Now please do away with the remaking travel restrictions which do nothing to protect us and only serve to further inconvenience people.  There are still people unable to come here to visit friends and partners ffs.

Still hearing stories of unvaccinated relatively young and fit people becoming really ill or worse.  It blows my mind that relatively sane people still don’t see the benefits of getting jabbed.  Just get jabbed you clowns because if not there is a clear and obvious risk that you will be very ill or die over the next few months and clog up our hospital through your own stupidity.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, Danoo said:

On 9/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, Debbie said:

Thanks for your opinion on lockdown. But that was not my question. My question was... which one of the possible candidates for Chief Minister offers us more guarantee to resist the damn lockdowners and keep the island open (as it is now); as well as avoiding dictatorial restrictions on the un-vaccinated (le moi being one of those “undesirables”).

On 9/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, Max Power said:

We're still a good way from being sorted, apparently...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-09-12/6-month-covid-outlook-2021

21 hours ago, Danoo said:

Quotes Bloomberg for local Manx information...

Bloomberg is a stupid leftist media outlet known for sprouting the usual vaccination gospel. There are plenty of serious delusions in that Bloomberg article you quoted. For instance, it is not true that covid has been the most deadly pandemic since the Spanish flue: the Hong Kong flue killed four million people in its the first 1968 year in a world with half of today’s population (and back then they just took it on the chin).

Considering that a natural covid infection provides a more robust immunity than the covid vaccines by a factor of ten at the least (cf. that Israeli study); obviously the covid pandemic will end through waves of natural infections rather than with phantasmagorical gene therapies or other kinds of deviant vaccines. In the long run a covid infection is going to be no more serious than a cold, for nearly all of us.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Got to be honest until it pops up on Facebook usually from manx radio I'd forgotten all about it. If the media didn't mention it would anyone notice?

I am interested to see when MR finally stop trotting out the daily cases figures. There must come a time when the media/government calls time on the messaging and statistical updates.  My guess it will be spring 22. On a related matter, listening to a JPW pre election interview, if she ends up as CM we can expect more ‘mitigation’.

• Like 1