IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, Happier diner said:

There must be a reason you didnt fancy being a teacher then. Cant be that good. There is a shortage. You are the supply and demand advocate. Explain. 

I am crap at teaching other people stuff and don’t like other people’s children.

Is that reason enough?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

But why? What harm is the current level of infection doing and how long would you put mitigation’s in place for?

People want their normal lives and the majority aren’t bothered any more about COVID or any more at risk from it than they always were from sever stomach bugs, Flu etc.

The only changes I would support would be a complete removal of testing and isolation of people who are not ill.  Just return to if you are I’ll you stay home and if you aren’t you carry on as normal without the pointless testing.

Why should some kids isolate just because something showed up on a test their parents made them take then thousands of others aren’t bothering to test an are in school infected and not knowing it anyway?

The harm is obvious. As cases rise hospitalisations will rise. Less than they would without vaccines but they will rise. We are short of anaesthetists. They supervise ICU. We therefore have reduced ICU capacity. Having the beds full of Covid patients clogs the entire hospital and a large number of people will be prevented from accessing treatment. That's but one knock on. Plainly there are others 

No one wants significant restrictions in the future. Simple measures reduce the liklihood 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, momo65 said:

The harm is obvious. As cases rise hospitalisations will rise. Less than they would without vaccines but they will rise. We are short of anaesthetists. They supervise ICU. We therefore have reduced ICU capacity. Having the beds full of Covid patients clogs the entire hospital and a large number of people will be prevented from accessing treatment. That's but one knock on. Plainly there are others 

No one wants significant restrictions in the future. Simple measures reduce the liklihood 

No one wants simple measures like masks.  The hospital is nowhere near full and fills up every winter due to flu anyway.

The sooner everyone gets it as it starts burning itself out the better?

How come we haven’t heard of any new variants for months anyway when there used to be a new “killer” variant every few weeks?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, momo65 said:

I'm not. It's nothing to do with me beyond, as we all are, a potential patient 

As we always were and always will be for many reasons.  I personally don’t feel my chances of ending up in hospital are any higher than any other year (other than being a year older) and same applies to everyone I know

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No one wants simple measures like masks.  The hospital is nowhere near full and fills up every winter due to flu anyway.

How come we haven’t heard of any new variants for months anyway when there used to be a new “killer” variant every few weeks?

It would only make sense for everyone to get it and burn out if you only get it once. It's an inconvenient truth that you don't & herd immunity appears unlikely any time soon

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Actually, there are the following variants being monitored by the CDC as of now.

• Alpha (B.1.1.7 and Q lineages)
  • Beta (B.1.351 and descendent lineages)
  • Gamma (P.1 and descendent lineages)
  • Epsilon (B.1.427 and B.1.429)
  • Eta (B.1.525)
  • Iota (B.1.526)
  • Kappa (B.1.617.1)
  • Mu (B.1.621, B.1.621.1)
  • Zeta (P.2)

image.thumb.png.caf2fe2e0c46c31dcc4183a137bdbd26.png

Delta is still listed separately as a Variant of Concern.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Depends if you even notice you have it or not.

People get sick all the time.  That’s life

Since when did it become OK just to ignore the fact that others die as a result of not bothering about anyone else? Is that really a civilised society? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There's a reason there's a huge shortage of teachers in the UK, and it's not because it's a cushy number.

too many feral kids in  the classrooms cos both parents have to work every waking hour to make ends meet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Since when did it become OK just to ignore the fact that others die as a result of not bothering about anyone else? Is that really a civilised society? 

Who said they weren’t bothered about anyone else?

I am bothered about the prospect of my kids being made to wear masks for no reason.

I am bothered about elderly relatives catching flu same as I am every year.

Not much you can do though sort from encourage them to get their boosters and if they are inclined stay away from crowed places.

The vulnerable have always been vulnerable to all manner of things and always will be.  How they choose to manage that risk is up to them. Not me and other healthy people 

• Like 1