IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

COVID makes the teachers sick. No teachers = no school. That is what's happening in our junior schools at the moment.

No it doesn’t.  It makes them test positive for something that without a test they would work through either with no symptoms or thinking they had a cold.  If you think they are all laid up in bed unable to function then you are nuts.  They are at home doing DIY, drinking and playing computer games.

Puking their own ring up makes teachers sick though.

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No it doesn’t.  It makes them test positive for something that without a test they would work through either with no symptoms or thinking they had a cold.  If you think they are all laid up in bed unable to function then you are nuts.  They are at home doing DIY, drinking and playing computer games.

The two teachers I know who've had it were laid up for a week each.

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

The people I know who have had it (who weren’t obese) and who were self employed never stopped working.

I don't think either of us has a statistically significant sample size, but to suggest that every teacher who gets it won't even notice they have it is patently daft.

Neither of them had pre-existing conditions or high BMIs, though.

Just now, HeliX said:

I don't think either of us has a statistically significant sample size, but to suggest that every teacher who gets it won't even notice they have it is patently daft.

Neither of them had pre-existing conditions or high BMIs, though.

I didn’t say that.

I said more teachers who get a sever vomiting bug are likely to be unable to work than there are teachers who could happily work through a positive COVID test

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

I didn’t say that.

I said more teachers who get a sever vomiting bug are likely to be unable to work than there are teachers who could happily work through a positive COVID test

They said "Covid makes teachers sick". You said "No it doesn't."

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

When do we get to the point when people are only absent when they feel awful. When does it stop being notifiable, and when does isolation stop and constant testing stop? The issues with staffing and absenteeism are largely to do with regulations and rules rather than people feeling terrible. When do we actially start to live with Covid? I am genuinely interested to know when this ends and it turns into another disease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

They said "Covid makes teachers sick". You said "No it doesn't."

It doesn’t in the vast majority  of cases.

It very rarely makes people who don’t get sick pay sick enough that they can’t work.

Read into that what you want.

Edited by Ramseyboi

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

We both know you don't have any worthwhile statistics on that.

Ask around your friends and family who have produced a positive test.  Most don’t know they are even supposed to be ill.

I can only base my opinion on

Me. My Kids.  Probably 30 plus of my kids friends and their parents. Three people I work with. My sister’s daughter her husband an one of their kids. Two of my wife’s colleagues. My Mum in her 80s.  Loads of business contacts in the UK.

One immune suppressed guy in the Uk very unfortunately does but to be honest he had been a hairs bredth from death for years.  A couple of overweight people struggled for a few days.

Everyone else was fine.  Every single one of them including those who got it before being vaccinated.

5 - that was for Quilp

Edited by Ramseyboi

Essential reading from an FT analyst. Especially if you don't like the idea of face coverings.

Yesterday we published a story comparing the situation in the UK vs a selection of Western Europe peers.

Here are the top-line stats:

• Cases among older people are 7x higher in UK

• Hospital admissions are 6x higher

• Deaths are 3x higher

I think a lot of the commentary has been overly simplistic, politicised and at-times flat-out wrong. Let’s see if we can do better:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1449801652207239176 

13 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Ask around your friends and family who have produced a positive test.  Most don’t know they are even supposed to be ill.

I can only base my opinion on

Me. My Kids.  Probably 30 plus of my kids friends and their parents. Three people I work with. My sister’s daughter her husband an one of their kids. Two of my wife’s colleagues. My Mum in her 80s.  Loads of business contacts in the UK.

One immune suppressed guy in the Uk very unfortunately does but to be honest he had been a hairs bredth from death for years.  A couple of overweight people struggled for a few days.

Everyone else was fine.  Every single one of them including those who got it before being vaccinated.

5 - that was for Quilp

Of the ~dozen people I know who've had it, most in their 30s, only a couple would describe it as a non-event. Several had a very rough time (though a couple of those were pre-vaccine), and one was put on oxygen. None were overweight.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

It very rarely makes people who don’t get sick pay sick enough that they can’t work.

Could you possibly explain how asking a few mates and your mum makes for a scientific basis?

Genuinely intrigued, because if you're onto something here, you could save the world billions in science and research.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Could you possibly explain how asking a few mates and your mum makes for a scientific basis?

Genuinely intrigued, because if you're onto something here, you could save the world billions in science and research.

The rates relating to mortality and serious illness are widely available worldwide pre and post vaccination.

Dont forget that a lot of people never even test positive despite having it as they don’t know.

That’s the case with most people I know who only found out they had it through track and trace in the early days or via LFT more recently.

Most people have very mid or no symptoms.  That is not a new revelation 

38 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

There is scientific evidence that pre-vaccination, sick pay actually dropped infection rates. Make of that what you will.

Compared with the control group and relative to the pre-FFCRA period, states that gained access to paid sick leave through the FFCRA saw around 400 fewer confirmed cases per state per day. This estimate translates into roughly one prevented case per day per 1,300 workers who had newly gained the option to take up to two weeks of paid sick leave.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00863