IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

Dear Willis

What ARE you talking about?

Best Regards

A Boi from Ramsey

You said 'only people who get sick pay get sick enough to be off'.

Therefore, you could quite simply deduce your beliefs would be that more sick pay means more people 'getting ill'.

I simply pointed out you'd be wrong, and cited my sources.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You said 'only people who get sick pay get sick enough to be off'.

Therefore, you could quite simply deduce your beliefs would be that more sick pay means more people 'getting ill'.

I simply pointed out you'd be wrong, and cited my sources.

Wrong on many levels.

People who don’t get sick pay are perfectly capable of working through it from their houses whilst in isolation where they obviously won’t spread it.

Teachers who do get sick pay tend to make out they can’t do anything because they are so terribly ill.

Your deduction skills are right up there.  Were you the DI responsible for catching those burglars a few winters back?

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Wrong on many levels.

People who don’t get sick pay are perfectly capable of working through it from their houses whilst in isolation where they obviously won’t spread it.

Teachers who do get sick pay tend to make out they can’t do anything because they are so terribly ill.

Your deduction skills are right up there.  Were you the DI responsible for catching those burglars a few winters back?

Are you a teacher? You seem to know an awful lot about them. And really don't seem to like your colleagues if so.

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Is sick pay the only thing different between these two examples?

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

The lack of it is a pretty good incentive to just crack on rather than milking it.

Nothing to do with one being working from home and the other working in a building with hundreds of people in, no?

Probably a bit easier to pootle about on some documents on a computer when sick than control a class full of kids too.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Ah, but the scientific paper I cited earlier suggests that actually, more sick pay means fewer COVID cases.

How does that one work?

Yes if it means people stay home instead of going to work.

We are talking about people managing to work or not when at home isolating in accordance with our local laws so you link and comments are completely irrelevant on island and in the context of this discussion.

54 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Ask around your friends and family who have produced a positive test.  Most don’t know they are even supposed to be ill.

I can only base my opinion on

Me. My Kids.  Probably 30 plus of my kids friends and their parents. Three people I work with. My sister’s daughter her husband an one of their kids. Two of my wife’s colleagues. My Mum in her 80s.  Loads of business contacts in the UK.

One immune suppressed guy in the Uk very unfortunately does but to be honest he had been a hairs bredth from death for years.  A couple of overweight people struggled for a few days.

Everyone else was fine.  Every single one of them including those who got it before being vaccinated.

5 - that was for Quilp

Your friends, family and colleagues are all very lucky not to have had it bad. 

The younger people I know who have had it, did (mostly) seem fairly lucky and didn't suffer too much. That said, both my child and a neighbour's child who are both high school age, were fairly ill for 3 or 4 days and are still not fully recovered. 

Of the older people I know who've had it, lots report of feeling very poorly for several days similar to a flu (not just a bad cold). Myself and my partner, as previously written on this thread, were hit quite bad by it and definitely weren't in a position to work from home. 

It would seem like it effects people differently and the sooner the experts find out why, the better as they will be able to treat and prevent it better. It may also stop people being persecuted by others for daring to say that they felt ill while covid positive... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

That actually makes kids sick though, and is way more contagious than COVID.  My young fella had that years ago and it wiped him and me right out.  We didn’t even notice ‘rona.

The stomach bug went right through our house and my elderly parents.  COVID barely infected anyone in the house. In fact different household members have had it at 3 separate times and never knowingly passed it on to anyone else.

I would much rather have COVID in the house than a severe vomiting bug, even pre vaccine.

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

That actually makes kids sick though, and is way more contagious than COVID.  My young fella had that years ago and it wiped him and me right out.  We didn’t even notice ‘rona.

The stomach bug went right through our house and my elderly parents.  COVID barely infected anyone in the house. In fact different household members have had it at 3 separate times and never knowingly passed it on to anyone else.

I would much rather have COVID in the house than a severe vomiting bug, even pre vaccine.

The R0 for norovirus is 2-3. Delta Covid is 6-7 

It is factually incorrect to say norovirus is "way more infectious" than Covid delta when the opposite is the case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

When do we get to the point when people are only absent when they feel awful. When does it stop being notifiable, and when does isolation stop and constant testing stop? The issues with staffing and absenteeism are largely to do with regulations and rules rather than people feeling terrible. When do we actially start to live with Covid? I am genuinely interested to know when this ends and it turns into another disease.

Many diseases that have been around for centuries if not millenia are still notifiable eg measles so it's not time related. If people get symptoms of measles they are tested etc. Covid is not being treated in any different manner

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, momo65 said:

The R0 for norovirus is 2-3. Delta Covid is 6-7 

It is factually incorrect to say norovirus is "way more infectious" than Covid delta when the opposite is the case. 

I can only say that when noro gets into our house unless we are very careful then everyone gets it.

The times COVID has been in the house we have taken no precautions and no one  else has caught it.

Each time it was contracted out and about and not transferred to anyone else in the household.  I even shared a bed with the Mrs and she didn’t get COVID when I had it.  At that time we were all isolating because there was one case in the house

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Facts? Here? Here we seem to prefer anecdotes.

There are many many examples of people who have had delta and not passed it onto anyone else at home.  Hence the lack of isolation now for other household members.

Norovirus typically sweeps through a house/school/workplace