IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

I can only say that when noro gets into our house unless we are very careful then everyone gets it.

The times COVID has been in the house we have taken no precautions and no one  else has caught it.

Each time it was contracted out and about and not transferred to anyone else in the household.  I even shared a bed with the Mrs and she didn’t get COVID when I had it.  At that time we were all isolating because there was one case in the house

We all like anecdotes. Generally we are better with evidence based medicine than anecdote. 

The number of ICU admissions with norovirus or indeed any infectious intestinal disease is vanishingly small. So to say it makes people more ill than Covid is not correct nor is it borne out by death rates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

There are many many examples of people who have had delta and not passed it onto anyone else at home.  Hence the lack of isolation now for other household members.

Norovirus typically sweeps through a house/school/workplace

Basic hygiene is enough to defeat norovirus. COVID-19 is airborne and much more transmissible. You can deny the facts all you want but that doesn't change them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, momo65 said:

We all like anecdotes. Generally we are better with evidence based medicine than anecdote. 

The number of ICU admissions with norovirus or indeed any infectious intestinal disease is vanishingly small. So to say it makes people more ill than Covid is not correct nor is it borne out by death rates

He doesn't care. He's looked out the window and seen it's sunny so he figures it must be sunny everywhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

There are many many examples of people who have had delta and not passed it onto anyone else at home.  Hence the lack of isolation now for other household members.

Norovirus typically sweeps through a house/school/workplace

It will tend to be somewhat influenced by the presence or otherwise of normal hygiene as its entirely transmitted via faecal oral route. 

23 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Many diseases that have been around for centuries if not millenia are still notifiable eg measles so it's not time related. If people get symptoms of measles they are tested etc. Covid is not being treated in any different manner

Thnakyou, so that means potentially non symptomatic isolation periods, testing and the subsequent societal and economic disruption will likely be a feature of winters for a long time to come, or perhaps alternatively society will learn to live with a certain number of deaths and only tolerate symtomatic absenses (a bit like flu). I personally think it will be the latter, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to transition.

4 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Thnakyou, so that means potentially non symptomatic isolation periods, testing and the subsequent societal and economic disruption will likely be a feature of winters for a long time to come, or perhaps alternatively society will learn to live with a certain number of deaths and only tolerate symtomatic absenses (a bit like flu). I personally think it will be the latter, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to transition.

The quickest way to reach that state is, to reduce the size of waves as each big wave sets up the next. It's waves that cause disruption. That's true of flu and other such illnesses. 

6 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Some people clearly don't want it to be treated as the flu and would like to wring the last dregs out of this saga for as long as possible.

4 hours ago, Danoo said:

Some people clearly don't want it to be treated as the flu and would like to wring the last dregs out of this saga for as long as possible.

Thats possibly because it kills 4 times as many people & causes long term structural organ damage. So they don't want it treated as flu because its not flu. There's a lot of other diseases it's not if you want to try one of those

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Manx Radio and 3FM can’t seem to let go on the covid numbers. It’s click bait. 

So people on Manx Forums advocate for more censorship. Interesting. Odd, there's me thinking they mostly complained about things not being reported 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, momo65 said:

So people on Manx Forums advocate for more censorship. Interesting. Odd, there's me thinking they mostly complained about things not being reported 

Can we report daily flu figures then? Heart attacks? Pneumonia? Diabetes diagnosis? Measles?

Where do you draw the line?

25 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Thats possibly because it kills 4 times as many people & causes long term structural organ damage. So they don't want it treated as flu because its not flu. There's a lot of other diseases it's not if you want to try one of those

Organ damage is one factor of the covid/flu debate that is ignored by the "get on with it" crowd. Organ damage doesn't happen with flu.

And personally, I very much doubt Ramseyboi's claims that no one he knows had symptoms of covid. More likely they didn't tell him because they knew his reaction would be that they simply wanted to skive off school/work. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Some people clearly can’t respect the views of others if it doesn’t meet their own. Respect. Use it. 

I'm respectful of everyone's views. However if I don't agree with them then I'll say so. As I have done.

If I was of a sceptical mind I would say that the EAG see the change in government administration as a way to regain some leverage, by inflating the current situation into an 'emergency' that needs their input. 

• Like 1