IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, momo65 said:

Thats possibly because it kills 4 times as many people & causes long term structural organ damage. So they don't want it treated as flu because its not flu. There's a lot of other diseases it's not if you want to try one of those

Your obsession is relentless. It's not the only show in town. I have lost family members in the last 18 months due to treatment being pulled due to 'COVID' so forgive me if I have had enough of it. 

I'll take the miniscule risk of organ damage to get my life back thanks and so would the vast majority of the population. Including many with serious health issues that have been and are being neglected while we still obsess over COVID.  

The kids have been through enough. They need a return to normality more than any of us.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Can we report daily flu figures then? Heart attacks? Pneumonia? Diabetes diagnosis? Measles?

Where do you draw the line?

The numbers of those are sufficiently low that such reports will have no value. They are reported at appropriate intervals in various ways whether you notice or not. Measles cases & flu cases have been reported daily during significant outbreaks. When Covid cases stabilise in the future it will undoubtedly be reported the same way as the others. Meanwhile if they are frightening you try to avoid looking 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Manx Radio and 3FM can’t seem to let go on the covid numbers. It’s click bait. 

What?  The media actually reporting facts as news?  And stuff that people want to hear?  We can't have this sort of thing going on.

(Also to be pedantic, this isn't what 'clickbait' means.  That implies headlines or lead-ins that oversell a story so people will click on the actual item.  The equivalent was common pre-digitally as well, going back to at least the 17th century.  Whether you are upset by reality breaking through or not, the way the statistics are being reported is factual).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Your obsession is relentless. It's not the only show in town. I have lost family members in the last 18 months due to treatment being pulled due to 'COVID' so forgive me if I have had enough of it. 

I'll take the miniscule risk of organ damage to get my life back thanks and so would the vast majority of the population. Including many with serious health issues that have been and are being neglected while we still obsess over COVID.  

The kids have been through enough. They need a return to normality more than any of us.

And as I've said we all want our lives back - probably including those who died needlessly - and the quickest way to get that is prevent big waves. Big waves create more waves & waves disrupt. You may be obsessing over it but some of us are well aware of the wide range of causes of death. Their treatment is prevented by having lots of Covid patients in hospital. So if its them you are worried about them stop big Covid waves 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

People like you and ramseyboi are going to have to learn to live with the figures being published. It's quite simple. You are both embarrassing yourselves

And you could be forgiven for thinking the two are one and the same. It wouldn't be the first time certain posters have created pock-suppets to support their views and harangue other, opposing views. You know, the weak, insubstantial no-marks with little else going on in their lives. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, quilp said:

And you could be forgiven for thinking the two are one and the same. It wouldn't be the first time certain posters have created pock-suppets to support their views and harangue other, opposing views. You know, the weak, insubstantial no-marks with little else going on in their lives. 

Just because I agree with someone’s views on a particular subject doesn’t make us the same person.

Hell.  I think I even agreed with one of your posts once 😜

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, momo65 said:

The numbers of those are sufficiently low that such reports will have no value. They are reported at appropriate intervals in various ways whether you notice or not. Measles cases & flu cases have been reported daily during significant outbreaks. When Covid cases stabilise in the future it will undoubtedly be reported the same way as the others. Meanwhile if they are frightening you try to avoid looking 

Here's the latest ONS publication on respiratory diseases incluidng COVID:

Screenshot 2021-10-19 11.28.06.png

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

Same as it has been for months now.  Apparently we still need to report COVID cases but not flu or pneumonia  though 🤷‍♂️

You do know the reason for the difference between the upper & lower lines of the flu & pneumonia line don't you? Not much point in discussing it further if you don't 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

Same as it has been for months now.  Apparently we still need to report COVID cases but not flu or pneumonia  though 🤷‍♂️

Well obviously they are being reported because there they are.  But the difference is that the general categories listed from death certificates cover many different causes of death relating to the respiratory system and influenza and pneumonia, while Covid is just one. 

And yet the deaths where Covid is the underlying (ie main) cause are still two to three times that of flu and pneumonia combined and equal to a majority of respiratory deaths.  Just from one infectious disease.  Rather than showing that things are back to normal, those figures show just why such Covid is still newsworthy if you look at them wanting information rather than reassurance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not upset by reality breaking through because as you say it’s reality. I don’t obsess about it and I don’t read it as it’s not really any surprise to me as most illnesses spike in the winter. A bit like the weather forecast in that I don’t need to know it’s raining today. And let’s also remember everything 3FM does is to sell advertising so obsessive people logging on to their website to read these statics 3 times a day or more does generate a lot of views and clicks which are then used to create data about page impressions and viewing audiences which are then used to sell to other advertisers to support how popular their website is claimed to be. This is largely why they put it up .. and in common usage that’s also referred to as click bait.

Well the remark about reality wasn't only (or primarily) aimed at you personally, but I don't think you can accuse broadcasters such as 3FM using such thing as clickbait.  Anyone one obsessed over the figures will be going straight to the source of the Covid Dashboard and that only updates once a day at a usually predictable time.  The only other source of information is the Weekly Surveillance Report on Thursdays.  At most you could argue that they are using these as an easy source of news stories, just as copying and pasting press releases is.