IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 10/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, John Wright said:

1. What cost to tax payers? It’s turned a profit for all bar 2 of the last 30 years. And IoMG take a cut.

2. it will depend on who does the round, what route they take, volume of post.

3. I think the tracking shows arrived IoM when handed over at East Midlands. Bit like Hermes showing local depot when it’s actually in Bolton.

4. you’ve been very lucky. That’s not my Hermes experience at all.

5. that’s down to your self employed driver who only covers a small area. Depends when they go collect and when they choose to deliver.

6. It’s a GIG economy job. They deliver around what suits then with other jobs/responsibilities.

if I was sending stuff I’d never choose Hermes. If I had the choice when ordering I’d pay more and choose the post office every time.

Hermes is an exploitative business, paying less than minimum wage to self employed drivers. No pension, sick pay, holiday pay. Most are using their own cars, wonder how many are insured for business use? It has no customer service ( and yes I know IoMPO doesn’t have the best customer service - but at least you can speak to someone )

There are all sorts of things like safe place you can nominate to the PO. Safe place to Hermes is lobbed over the fence, or in full view on the door step, or in the rain, or another address entirely.

Our Hermes delivery individual is actually very good. They told us last week that Hermes had told the drivers they were reducing their pay. Our individual said it would make the job no longer viable, which is a great pity.

26 minutes ago, dreamon said:

Pointless questions just taking up time.

During lockdowns - not a peep from most of them.

The guy just looks a the BBC news in the mornings and ask questions based on that - with an IOM slant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

The guy just looks a the BBC news in the mornings and ask questions based on that - with an IOM slant.

The poll topping thing and sitting proudly on the front benches has spurned him onto unfathomable depths of self-belief. Expect a lot more of this.

3 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

People are taking this too seriously at the mo. What is the opposite of doom mongers? There must be a word, people seem to be self identifying against their polar opposite - the doommonger. So what are they identifying themselves as?  More a curiosity question really. I dont identify as either. I will say though, that if we do somehow end up back in a lockdown by christmas, it wont be the fault of the doomers, more the fault of the polar opposite of doomers, which i dont have an identifying word for yet.

Euphoria merchant? Glee peddlar? Ecstasy dealer? No, forget the last one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

He could be responding to pressure. There's a concerted effort to inflict various restrictions on us going on by a section of the public. Tim Glover would back a total lockdown immediately I reckon.

I see them on social media but never in real life.

Who are these people who wants masks, restrictions on Gatherings etc?

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

I see them on social media but never in real life.

That's cos none of them go out! All sat at home wearing 3 masks and sucking on their air filters hating on kids desperately  searching the internet for the next alarming paper about brain disease and working coming up with conspiracy theories about dark money funding rabid eugenicist politicians while simultaneously expecting their tesco delivery to arrive on the minute.

JUST MASK HARDER

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Barlow said:
1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

The poll topping thing and sitting proudly on the front benches has spurned him onto unfathomable depths of self-belief. Expect a lot more of this.

Moorhouse was already sitting on the front bench because he he got more votes than Cregeen in 2016.

And he asked 769 questions in the previous Tynwald, more than any other member (just beating Hooper on 758[1]).  So you might not like what he is doing, but you can't pretend it's new. 

[1]  Mercifully the Tynwald data app counts these thing up, so we don't have to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

There’s a hard core of wet wally MHKs pushing for it though. Tim Glover trying to be leader of the Wet Wally pack as well as Moorhouse who is now starting as well. It must be a southern thing as Dr Hayward also posts a lot on Twitter about mask wearing and distancing too. They’re just playing to the social media crowd as it see it - many of whom seem to want to go back to restrictions as it’s only when everyone is locked up do they seem to feel comfortable. 

There are a few ‘wet Wally’ MHKs and not just relating to Covid. They play to the IOMNP Facebook crowd, say the right words and ask certain questions. I have noticed Rob Callister has remained quiet so far, since his outburst, he is one of the masters of playing to the Facebook crowd. 

41 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He could be responding to pressure. There's a concerted effort to inflict various restrictions on us going on by a section of the public. Tim Glover would back a total lockdown immediately I reckon.

I take it he would be okay in foregoing his salary for that period and having to apply for some form of assistance via the salary support scheme. We're all in it together hey. 

• Like 1