IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

41 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Your Covid nonsense posts and IOM Govt bashing have reached a new low - when border restrictions are eased fuck off back to Boris 

Here’s a report for you and the scared to do anything brigade!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8692081/The-true-risk-Covid-19-Not-taking-regular-bath-writes-TIM-HARFORD.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR06qPp0-fb7xgYjS9KrLgvGfTMPK2PTA9hcHJYsi1nMn-KhKVI7pxPt9zA

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I decided to go travelling this summer. So far I’ve crossed the following international borders by ferry and plane. The regulations are various. But all the systems have visibly failed as experienced by me.

UK Spain by ferry. Had to fill out a Covid arrival form and temperature taken. The forms were collected on the car deck before disembarkation. Stuffed into a shopping bag. Not checked. I could have filled in anything, not that I’m that irresponsible. Next car occupants were late returning to car, crew didn’t return to take temperature or collect forms.

Spain Italy by ferry. Covid landing form supposed to be necessary and a test. Neither asked for. I’d had a PCR test, and negative result, from a clinic in Spain. Was only transiting Italy.

Italy Greece by ferry. Had to show my negative PCR and a form to board. Applied for an online registration for Greek entry. Sent a QR code. One of questions was did I have the negative PCR. Answered correctly. QR started with 6 if you’d tested negative or 7 if you’d not tested at all. Arrival Greece my QR showed 7. Everyone on ferry was a 7. Long queue in 35° sun, no shade for anyone, to be swabbed. Again was only transiting, 4 hours. Wheeled to front of queue. Told them I had my e-negative result. Nurse said system was crap, and waved me through, no swab and didn’t check the test certificate.

Greece-Bulgaria land border. Just long queues. Nothing. 

Bulgaria Spain by plane. Forms required. Temperature taken on arrival in Barcelona. Form taken but not checked against passport.

im now in rural Spain. The local authority area here has had no positives at all. Neither have the two on either side. I’m not going to Barcelona or Stiges or the coast.

On arrival in Spain 3 weeks ago I downloaded their track & trace app. Every week I get a text, in English, confirming if I’ve had contact And need to be tested. I haven’t. If I do have contact there would be a text confirming immediately. That does seem to work. It’s quite reassuring.

Everyone here seems to be mask and distancing compliant. It’s been hard to get used to. Ryanair flight, 3 hours with mask, was uncomfortable.

Ive got the Reopen EU website on a link. It’s updated every 24 hours with all border restrictions. The restrictions are highly political and bear no relationship to prevalence rates. I’m supposed to return to Bulgaria to pick up a car and bring it back to Spain. In early August Italy imposed restrictions on anyone who had been in Bulgaria in the 14 days prior to arrival. That rather screwed the plans. The Hungary, Austria and Germany did the same, closing the long land route around the top of Italy. This was despite Bulgaria having a lower prevalence rate than 12 EU countries that weren’t restricted. The Spanish National rate is 12 times the Bulgarian rate.

anyway, with effect tomorrow Italy has removed the restriction. So later this month I’m flying back to Sofia, picking up the car and sailing from Greece to Italy. I’ll have to have a PCR before entering Greece and fill out a form. . 

The ferries out were deserted. 1/4 full. Most facilities closed. They’re huge ships. A bit Marie Celeste. Grimaldi Minoan had sold me tickets ( last November ) including bottled water in my cabin fridge and WiFi. To save cash they’ve turned off the Inmarsat internet, for the whole boat.  Not even working for EPOS in the self service cafe.

Both trips had intermediate stops, in Porto Torres Sardinia and Corfu. The onboard computer manifest had us down as disembarking at these ports so each morning from 6 I had banging on cabin door at 15 minute intervals from 6 am. Demanding to see tickets when we didn’t vacate, and after leaving the ports trying to get in to clean the cabin.  Actually made the Steam Packet experience seem first class!

Why not just wait a year. ? Was it so important to go away ? You are a mod and will no doubt ban me again for having the audacity to question you. But , whatever. We have missed out on 5 holidays this year, but are not complaining, having got most money refunded. You are high risk like I am, so why go to all the hassle and risk for a break in the sun ? We aren’t getting any younger, but we will still be here next year, I hope, so can maybe get a sunny break. You have shocked me TBH

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fame

Screenshot_20200906-154637.png

Just shows how the press constantly negatively spin. This is a non event for the IOM. There is literally no extra risk at this stage and no changes have been made to anyone’s life here. We will not be putting in any additional measures, neither will we be going back into lockdown, or insisting in masks. It’s a non event. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are high risk like I am, so why go to all the hassle and risk for a break in the sun ? We aren’t getting any younger, but we will still be here next year, I hope, so can maybe get a sunny break. You have shocked me TBH

Because like many people I assume he probably doesn’t care as the risks are negligible. Nice to see someone focusing on enjoying the time they have left not crapping their pants and living half a life as the media and governments have been a conduit for the spreading of mass hysteria. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Because like many people I assume he probably doesn’t care as the risks are negligible. Nice to see someone focusing on enjoying the time they have left not crapping their pants and living half a life as the media and governments have been a conduit for the spreading of mass hysteria. 

You are above that.

If JW Contracts Covid, he is fucked and so am I. That is why I stay here. No brainer.

Edited by dilligaf

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

You are above that.

Not at all. If people want to stay quivering wrecks that’s up to them. But good on John I would doubt any serious health issues will arise to him as a result of Covid assuming he probably takes sensible precautions. Just like everyone else really we don’t need governments to protect us by putting in place silly rules they can’t even police. If it was up to me I wouldn’t be here and would be doing exactly what John is doing not living like the boy in the bubble. 

21 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are above that.

If JW Contracts Covid, he is fucked and so am I. That is why I stay here. No brainer.

There's plenty of other nasties out there all of the time to be getting hung up on a low risk new one.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Not at all. If people want to stay quivering wrecks that’s up to them. But good on John I would doubt any serious health issues will arise to him as a result of Covid assuming he probably takes sensible precautions. Just like everyone else really we don’t need governments to protect us by putting in place silly rules they can’t even police. If it was up to me I wouldn’t be here and would be doing exactly what John is doing not living like the boy in the bubble. 

So why is it not up to you why you are here ?

16 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So why is it not up to you why you are here ?

I’m not too sure my wife would be that chuffed if I pissed off for a few months on my own. But frankly I don’t blame John for doing so and would be doing exactly the same if it was feasible. If you take sensible personal precautions little will happen to you. Too many people living in fear. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are above that.

I survived leukaemia. I was close to death this time 3 years ago. I’m getting on with my life. I’ve very carefully risk assessed, to the best of my ability, based on the info that’s available. Places I’ve been to, and am staying, have rates well below the UK, well below the 1 in 5000 that will trigger stage 3 in IOM 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m not too sure my wife would be that chuffed if I pissed off for a few months on my own. But frankly I don’t blame John for doing so and would be doing exactly the same if it was feasible. If you take sensible personal precautions little will happen to you. 

Wish I shared your innocence.