IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 hours ago, Danoo said:

The psychology is pretty easy to understand.

Some people who post under their real names, like Wrighty and John Wright, are well balanced posters who offer decent contributions.

Others come across as mad as a box of frogs and a little unhinged, so they get treated as such. 

It doesn’t take a psychologist to conclude what the issue is here.

As well as Wrighty and JW there are other normal and sane posters on here that use a pseudonym. 

IOMNP Facebook page even with real names used there are posters slagging people off, using language that isn’t nice, or called for and certainly doesn’t do anything for the debate. Lots of jealousy and avarice abound, sometimes it is like that on here, especially calling people who may be wealthy, HNWI etc. Wealthy local and Manx natives sadly aren’t immune from some of the inane comments driven in part by jealousy. Granted, some wealthy people and HNWI don’t make life easy, and almost invite criticism.

Rachel Glover, meanwhile whilst I respect her views and opinions, and of which I can hand on heart, say I haven’t criticised her or slagged her off. However, it’s not about her, no matter how qualified, how much an expert she is. Sometimes experts end up taking over. There views being seen as the way forward and Government should 100% abide to what they say. If we let some of the experts dictate the covid rules then the island would be stop start lockdowns, wouldn’t have any tourism for at least another year. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But there needed to be a government wide plan, not just a health plan. 

Regulated business has to have a plan, why not government? 

This. 

This was a 'health' crisis but it affected every facet of government and our lives. We immediately jumped in with both feet with some of the most draconian measures seen in the world at the time and effectively said sod everything else. Now we are still picking up the pieces of the 'everything else' 18 months later.   

Never again must we relinquish our freedoms and rights and ruin lives and livelihoods in a scorched earth policy. Whatever plan comes after it needs to consider every aspect of society and not just give an amended Emergency Act powers to ride roughshod over the whole of society again.   

• Like 3

This sort of post keeps popping up in Twitter. Has there been such abuse? Certainly - most certainly - not on a daily basis. 

I have a lot of respect for Dr Glover but this sort of post is a bit worrying.

And in this respect isn't Twitter little different from Facebook or indeed the dreaded:  /sinister voice/ 'Manx Forums'? 

_Twitter_RG_01.png.dd62bc8cd7efd1a37d1a20a191ed2f9b.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

OMG!! 😂😂😂

47F69DF8-BB31-475B-8DE4-9073E617FDAB.jpeg

To be honest I haven't seen anything sinister or offensive on here with respect to the subject of Dr G. Sure there have been differences of opinion but i thought that was the idea.

I agree with what others have said, most posters seem to to give names individuals a good deal of respect. 

For some people though the island is too small a place to not be anonymous. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Danoo said:

Never again must we relinquish our freedoms and rights and ruin lives and livelihoods in a scorched earth policy. Whatever plan comes after it needs to consider every aspect of society and not just give an amended Emergency Act powers to ride roughshod over the whole of society again.   

The IOM achieved exactly the right balance during the crisis and did a good job of protecting the economy.

Tight restrictions were absolutely right until most adults had been vaccinated - followed by a careful and staged winding down of those restrictions. For most of this period the most significant parts of the economy have been able continue as normal.

At this point only those refusing vaccination should need further restriction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

But there needed to be a government wide plan, not just a health plan. 

Regulated business has to have a plan, why not government? 

As I said they could not have had a plan for an infection with these characteristics just sitting there. Nor probably could they have formulated one to cover all eventualities until autumn 2020 at the earliest due to lack of evidence of what they were dealing with. Any  plans at that stage would have included the eventuality of varients with worse characteristics (ie delta). So whether a plan at that stage would have changed substantially the actions is up for debate. 

As a concept I'd agree a plan should have been done then but it would have needed to be so flexible that the outcome may not have changed. What it might have stopped was bizarre all or nothing approach that swang from lockdown to no mitigations in a few short weeks with no change in circumstances to trigger it. Whatever side you take in mitigations v none, that swing was bizarre and almost certainly triggered by election approaching