IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

As I posted previously, the input given to my children has been minimal. Also the teachers I know have not been teaching and have been at home since the crisis began. They have been grading and setting lessons, but nothing that requires strict timetables. Teacher bashing however is not productive or particularly fair. This has been thrust on them as much as it has us. From now however, this must change. The unions need to be shown a firm hand by Allison and get our teachers, teaching and our children learning again.

29 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

So what both of you are saying is that neither of you have any evidence of teachers and headteachers not working.

Teachers are still working and still delivering education, keeping normal working hours.

No, if he's not cycling/walking he's in the garden!

2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

As I posted previously, the input given to my children has been minimal. Also the teachers I know have not been teaching and have been at home since the crisis began. They have been grading and setting lessons, but nothing that requires strict timetables. Teacher bashing however is not productive or particularly fair. This has been thrust on them as much as it has us. From now however, this must change. The unions need to be shown a firm hand by Allison and get our teachers, teaching and our children learning again.

This.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

sNo one is hating just saying it as it is!

The good teachers, ie the ones with a conscience will be doing all they can for our children, because that is why they chose that career. The also rans will be milking it. I could name several on both sides of that fence

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The good teachers, ie the ones with a conscience will be doing all they can for our children, because that is why they chose that career. The also rans will be milking it. I could name several on both sides of that fence

Same here!

on the bad side there is one teacher who hasn't been near school, she allows her sons girlfriend to come around to the house and her daughter who lives elsewhere to come around also!!

typical government workers, husband a fireman who think rules don't apply to them!

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

The problem with ‘clinical reasons’ are that the evidence is either weak, non-existent, or contradictory. There’s a spectrum of clinical opinion, based on what you do. Psychiatrists are seeing an increase in mental health crises so want to get going. Intensivists are worried they’ll be overwhelmed so are more cautious. Orthopaedic surgeons want to be able to get on with the day job of replacing joints etc so need the hospital back to normal functioning. Health economists are incredulous that £millions are being spent per QALY, when the usual limit is £30k. 

The politicians have the unenviable job of finding some balance in all this, while trying to please as many (upset as few) of the population as possible, who also have their own priorities. 

Again, in my personal view, I’d get back to normal ASAP while shielding the vulnerable, maintaining health and care service capacity, but keeping borders shut - UK remains a cess-pit of infection however Boris spins it. 

@wrighty do you have any insights as to why the government will not set out their criteria with approximate (as there can be no other) timings to the hoi polloi?

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So like with any field of work at the moment I suppose. You will always have the slackers and the hard workers. :geek:

10 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Same here!

on the bad side there is one teacher who hasn't been near school, she allows her sons girlfriend to come around to the house and her daughter who lives elsewhere to come around also!!

typical government workers, husband a fireman who think rules don't apply to them!

Still could be working however, the rest seems like scuttlebutt and speculation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

How are they not earning their pay, out of interest?

Well, kids carnt spell thse days. they dont use a capital for the first singular nominative pronoun. and can't be arsed for real nouns either

But they get trips round the world (or used to ...) and have a right old hoot at school.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Depends how you define teaching.

I heard on one of the briefings last week that St. Ninian's staff are following a full timetable. I know from a friend the King Bill's are also following a full timetable.

Can't find the full briefing and I doubt anyone would want to watch the whole thing but I found this article on Manx Radio. Rachel Smith her name is.

37 minutes ago, SulbyStraighter said:

Depends how you define teaching.

I heard on one of the briefings last week that St. Ninian's staff are following a full timetable. I know from a friend the King Bill's are also following a full timetable.

Can't find the full briefing and I doubt anyone would want to watch the whole thing but I found this article on Manx Radio. Rachel Smith her name is.

If my children learn and understand the required syllabus as a result of input and interaction with their teachers, that I define as being taught. As much as I prefer real world interaction, with all of the other benefits that brings, there is a place for online learning. To date my children’s experience with this has been minimal. Fine for a short term stop gap. I have friends whose children go to KWC/Buchan, and they are doing a good job using MS Teams, and from reading the article St Ninian’s have apparently also got to grips with distance learning, so I suspect it may be adopted more widely over the coming months.

Edited by Out of the blue
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

@wrighty do you have any insights as to why the government will not set out their criteria with approximate (as there can be no other) timings to the hoi polloi?

As I keep pointing out I’m not posting on here as a government spokesman.  But what haven’t they set out? They’ve published the steps we’ll be taking. As for timings - it depends on what happens. Even if approximate dates were published you’d probably be the first among many to use it against them if circumstances meant they turned out to be inaccurate. Your prime minister has set out approximate dates - they might be changed, they might be implemented against timely advice for political reasons. Either way no doubt you and the bojo hating press will be ready to pounce. Perhaps it would have been better for him to have done more like we’ve done here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1