IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Disregarding last years figures and just comparing 2019 to 2021 what is this all about?

Post COVID issues?

Lack of health care in 2020?

People sitting on their arses getting fat and depressed in lockdown?

Vaccines?

Or probably a mix of the above.  Either way it’s not good.

servlets.getImg?ref=D1055469&bin=Y&auth=

23100B2A-DEF7-4A9D-95FC-12D226B3FF7A.png

It looks as if it's just that there's a long period where they simply haven't got anything like all the data and so figures are meaningless.  Note that this starts in September 2019, so it can't be Covid-related.  The fact it picks up again in March/April this year might suggest Manx care are being more organised or it might be a coincidence.

6 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Disregarding last years figures and just comparing 2019 to 2021 what is this all about?

Post COVID issues?

Lack of health care in 2020?

People sitting on their arses getting fat and depressed in lockdown?

Vaccines?

Or probably a mix of the above.  Either way it’s not good.

servlets.getImg?ref=D1055469&bin=Y&auth=

23100B2A-DEF7-4A9D-95FC-12D226B3FF7A.png

COVID can increase your risk of stroke, we also have a steadily aging population.

Lots of older folks noticed the difference in their mobility from being in lockdown too. It's no surprise it'd take a toll.

Lack of routine appointments through most of 2020 won't have helped either, waiting lists and referral times have skyrocketed. Things that would've been picked up sooner might not've been if people can't get to a GP for love nor money.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It looks as if it's just that there's a long period where they simply haven't got anything like all the data and so figures are meaningless.  Note that this starts in September 2019, so it can't be Covid-related.  The fact it picks up again in March/April this year might suggest Manx care are being more organised or it might be a coincidence.

Agreed.  This will be a counting/timing issue rather than a massive increase in numbers in 2021.  Possibly inconsistent coding too.  And as ever with FOI requests, the question is not asked well, leading to answers which could be open to interpretation.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

wrighty always value your thoughts on this subject - what do you make of this new 'super variant' the media are wetting themselves over? 

Personally I don't reckon it's anything to worry about, but the usual suspects are at it again. 

It's currently running around parts of SA, but overall, SA has low vaccination coverage too. In the realm of 20-30% from a quick look. But they've had big waves for natural immunity. Though, that could be waning.

Scientists seem to be of the opinion that it's worth keeping an eye on, as it's moving quickly. Potentially limit travel from SA for a few weeks for it to blow over.

-

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

@wrightyalways value your thoughts on this subject - what do you make of this new 'super variant' the media are wetting themselves over? 

Personally I don't reckon it's anything to worry about, but the usual suspects are at it again. 

Don’t know anything about it, or even if it’s a thing at all. To be honest I’ve stopped thinking about covid, really embracing the ‘living with it’. I’m just getting on with life as normal. I’ve had my jabs, my kids have had theirs, as have most people I know or associate with. I certainly don’t spend hours scanning the net for the next variant, or treatment, or studying the figures of deaths and cases. It seems to me that we’ve probably reached endemic equilibrium here and UK. 

I’ve got better things to be doing with my time - big gig to play next month. Haven’t got the time or inclination to look at Twitter. Sorry to disappoint 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

The Guardian's article is quite informative.  What's worrying the scientists is the number of mutations on the spike protein that there are, and that makes the behaviour of this variant unpredictable. Not just in respect of transmission but whether the vaccines provide the same protection against serious illness.

But there's only been ten cases so far identified  and it could just be that it doesn't spread very easily - this sometimes happens when you get a lot of changes in other aspect.  We'll know more over the next week.  

Edited to add:  The BBC have just put up an article.  The number of cases in South Africa has increased by quite a lot - presumably they've had a batch analysed - which suggests it may be as transmissible as other variants.  The questions still hang over what it does.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Don’t know anything about it, or even if it’s a thing at all. To be honest I’ve stopped thinking about covid, really embracing the ‘living with it’. I’m just getting on with life as normal. I’ve had my jabs, my kids have had theirs, as have most people I know or associate with. I certainly don’t spend hours scanning the net for the next variant, or treatment, or studying the figures of deaths and cases. It seems to me that we’ve probably reached endemic equilibrium here and UK. 

I’ve got better things to be doing with my time - big gig to play next month. Haven’t got the time or inclination to look at Twitter. Sorry to disappoint 🙂

Spot on, Wrighty! 

Good luck with your gig! 

54 minutes ago, wrighty said:

No disappointment at all, in fact the opposite. If it was anything yo worry about then I'm sure you would have heard of it! Best of luck with the gig!

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

UK have banned flights from several African countries so obviously a lot if concerns over new variants 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59424269

I wouldn’t see it as panic stations, rather, they’re acting quickly and decisively. Something they’ve not always done before.

It may well blow over, but it’s worth working it out first before allowing it in. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

Hear, hear. I suspect that most sane people are taking more, or less, the same approach. 

It’s a shame that Tim Glover MHK, who is constantly over-analysing each set of daily numbers, chirping on about masks, and winding up all the doom and gloom merchants can’t take such a philosophical approach. 

• Like 2