IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, Banker said:

I think the vaccinations passports will come in everywhere but would personally prefer them to mandatory mask wearing, restrictions on numbers inside etc 

Really? Like having to show your papers during WW2? Waste of time. Covid is not the deadly disease that was feared initially. It simply isn't. Time to move on. 

Just now, Cambon said:

Really? Like having to show your papers during WW2? Waste of time. Covid is not the deadly disease that was feared initially. It simply isn't. Time to move on. 

I just think that’s the way the world is moving, only England out of home nations is not using in some form with most European countries plus many others using.

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

I just think that’s the way the world is moving, only England out of home nations is not using in some form with most European countries plus many others using.

So, again, because others are doing it we should follow? Like MOTs? 

When Little Jimmy introduced them in Scotland, nightclubs and large indoor venues answer was reduced capacity. Not passports. 

I see the "Shut your eyes really tight and naughty Mr Covid will go away" crew are out in force again.

John Burns-Murdoch of the FT is always worth following on Twitter and he posted an interesting graph last night on the new variant (VUI-21NOV-01 (B.1.1.529)):

(Alpha never really took off in South Africa, where Beta originated and was dominant till Delta came along).  This suggests it may be even more infectious than Delta - this looks even more alarming that the graphs we saw from Bengal when Delta first emerged.

(JBM also points out that there may be a certain amount of selection bias going on here as to where those genomes selected for sequencing originate, but it's still shocking).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I see the "Shut your eyes really tight and naughty Mr Covid will go away" crew are out in force again.

Equally, so are the "A new variant of covid is going to kill us all. I've been waiting for this day" crew.

If the spike protein mutates so much that our antibodies can't see it, equally it will fail to open to door to the cells the virus infects.  Our antibody response is poly-clonal, and there are immune mechanisms (cellular, non-specific) apart from that.  I think a cautious approach to this new variant is right with regard to travel from affected areas, but I don't see the need to change what we do much just yet.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Cambon said:

So, again, because others are doing it we should follow? Like MOTs? 

When Little Jimmy introduced them in Scotland, nightclubs and large indoor venues answer was reduced capacity. Not passports. 

Scotland have them for nightclubs or negative test, also needed for large events like football 

3 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m calling horseshit on the latest African variant.

More fear to drive the vaccine mandate.

Follow the money. 

The South African Health Minister has said there is no evidence that it evades the vaccines at this stage. 

Not that it will change Dr Doom and their Merry Men.

• Like 1

Only 24% of South Africans are double vaxed.

Their death rates must be off the charts with this new variant.

Poor fuckers.

Similar population to the U.K. (maybe 5 million less) yet only half the COVID mortality rate.

Health service questionable & 25% vaccinated.

Yet the new variant is headline news.

Sake.

Edited by Nom de plume