IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

So nearly 2 years into this disaster and we identify a new strain of concern in a particular part of the world. The UK imposes restrictions on travel from some countries and implements an isolate and test regime for anyone entering the country from outside the CTO, and additionally announce masks becoming compulsory again in England.

Meanwhile IOMG arrange lots of meeting and do nothing to either take temporary measures while they get a handle on things or to calm the nerves of those who panic.

IOMG allow 21 people recently returned from SA to crack on as normal and visit packed pubs, clubs, theatres and workplaces.

Surely with 2YEARS to plan for this inevitable development there is a clear roadmap of steps and actions to be taken that could have been implemented?  Pre written public statements etc.  A simple procedure to be followed in the event a new variant of concern rears its head and simple actions we take?  Surely there is a pre written plan and messaging to the public should the UK ever reimplement mask wearing?

There was a UK briefing last night.  They should have had a plan in place that means local guidance is published within a couple of hours of the UK making any changes.

TWO FU****G YEARS!!!

Incidentally, I couldn’t care less and just want to live my life, but I understand others are very nervous and need to feel the gov are on top of things and have a plan in place.  An announcement and clear guidance on what they are doing in response last night would have led people to feel like it was in hand and under control.

It is piss poor communication and planning AGAIN.  It doesn’t even have to be about what the message is.  It’s just about getting a message out quickly and clearly and instilling confidence in people.

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

So nearly 2 years into this disaster and we identify a new strain of concern in a particular part of the world. The UK imposes restrictions on travel from some countries and implements an isolate and test regime for anyone entering the country from outside the CTO, and additionally announce masks becoming compulsory again in England.

Meanwhile IOMG arrange lots of meeting and do nothing to either take temporary measures while they get a handle on things or to calm the nerves of those who panic.

IOMG allow 21 people recently returned from SA to crack on as normal and visit packed pubs, clubs, theatres and workplaces.

Surely with 2YEARS to plan for this inevitable development there is a clear roadmap of steps and actions to be taken that could have been implemented?  Pre written public statements etc.  A simple procedure to be followed in the event a new variant of concern rears its head and simple actions we take?  Surely there is a pre written plan and messaging to the public should the UK ever reimplement mask wearing?

There was a UK briefing last night.  They should have had a plan in place that means local guidance is published within a couple of hours of the UK making any changes.

TWO FU****G YEARS!!!

Incidentally, I couldn’t care less and just want to live my life, but I understand others are very nervous and need to feel the gov are on top of things and have a plan in place.  An announcement and clear guidance on that they are doing in response last night would have led people to feel like it was in hand and under control.

It is piss poor communication and planning AGAIN.  It doesn’t even have to be about what the message is.  It’s just about getting a message out quickly and clearly and instilling confidence in people.

Yes have to agree with you. Here in Portugal they reacted to the new strain a week ago and everyone has to test once a week. Everyone in public areas has to wear a mask and they seen pretty strict enforcing it. Our Government communications are so lacking its pitiful. Guess the Sunday dinner had to be sorted first before any other business . It would seem to me though that while theres for sure some worrying loads the majority have had enough of restrictions and lockdowns .

Edited by Numbnuts

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

TWO FU****G YEARS!!!

Incidentally, I couldn’t care less and just want to live my life, but I understand others are very nervous and need to feel the gov are on top of things and have a plan in place.  An announcement and clear guidance on what they are doing in response last night would have led people to feel like it was in hand and under control.

The South African Doctor who roses the bell on this new variant has been interviewed this morning by the British press.

Symptoms: intense fatigue and high pulse rate.

Symptoms were so different and SO MILD from those she had treated beofre she says. All the patients she had treated were recovering well. 

I read somewhere that she couldn’t understand the international response ”panicking unnecessarily”.

Edited by 747-400

22 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

The South African Doctor who roses the bell on this new variant has been interviewed this morning by the British press.

Symptoms: intense fatigue and high pulse rate.

Symptoms were so different and SO MILD from those she had treated beofre she says. All the patients she had treated were recovering well. 

I read somewhere that she couldn’t understand the international response ”panicking unnecessarily”.

We can actually find the source where she talks to the press about it. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

She has only said that in young healthy people, the effects seemed minor so far. She herself said she’s worried about people outside that group. Especially the unvaccinated. 

16B8A563-1FD7-41FD-8119-37A1B7E5C04F.png

36 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

We can actually find the source where she talks to the press about it. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

She has only said that in young healthy people, the effects seemed minor so far. She herself said she’s worried about people outside that group. Especially the unvaccinated. 

16B8A563-1FD7-41FD-8119-37A1B7E5C04F.png

Very reassuring isn’t it that healthy people are only seeing mild effects. And the message remains the same, elderly, immunosuppresed and unvaccinated are at risk. 

Why does she see other countries panicking unnecessarily?

Edited by 747-400
typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Very reassuring isn’t it that healthy people are only seeing mild effects. And the message remains the same, elderly, immunosuppresed and unvaccinated are at risk. 

Wvy does she see other countries panicking unnecessarily?

She hasn’t said that in any article I can find.

The closest to your quote I can find is below. Note she says unknown. She also says that half were vaccinated and most were men under 40. Yet they’d all come into her care. 

Politically, SA feel very put out and as though they are being punished for their transparency by travel bans. 

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-11-omicron-cases-mild-safrica-doctor.html

Coetzee said it was unfortunate that Omicron had been hyped as "this extremely dangerous virus variant" with multiple mutations while its virulency was still unknown.….

"We are not saying that there will not be severe disease coming forward," Coetzee said.

But "for now, even the patients that we have seen who are not vaccinated have mild symptoms".

25 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

She hasn’t said that in any article I can find.

The closest to your quote I can find is below. Note she says unknown. She also says that half were vaccinated and most were men under 40. Yet they’d all come into her care. 

Politically, SA feel very put out and as though they are being punished for their transparency by travel bans. 

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-11-omicron-cases-mild-safrica-doctor.html

It was a quote from LBC Radio where she was interviewed this morning, which I admit I didn’t hear, so could have been paraphrased. 

I did find this in the Guardian, however

It’s all speculation at this stage. It may be it’s highly transmissible, but so far the cases we are seeing are extremely mild,” she said. “Maybe two weeks from now I will have a different opinion, but this is what we are seeing. So are we seriously worried? No. We are concerned and we watch what’s happening. But for now we’re saying, ‘OK: there’s a whole hype out there. [We’re] not sure why.’”

Edited by 747-400
Found the comment to the quote on LBC
  • Like 2

Just now, 747-400 said:

The article I copied from seems to have been since edited and those quotes removed. 

I did find this in the Guardian

It’s all speculation at this stage. It may be it’s highly transmissible, but so far the cases we are seeing are extremely mild,” she said. “Maybe two weeks from now I will have a different opinion, but this is what we are seeing. So are we seriously worried? No. We are concerned and we watch what’s happening. But for now we’re saying, ‘OK: there’s a whole hype out there. [We’re] not sure why.’”

I’d speculate that the reason for said hype is we’ve all learnt what happens with a new variant when it gets a foothold. 

By taking sensible precaution quickly, we can give the scientists the weeks they need to ascertain what is actually going on. 

https://www.science.org/content/article/patience-crucial-why-we-won-t-know-weeks-how-dangerous-omicron

The scientific theories at the moment suggest that transmissibility will be much higher, because some of the mutations we have seen before, in more transmissible variants. They need to actually test that for real, which takes time.

Vaccine companies have already said that within a matter of months, they can be distributing a tweaked formula against a changed spike. Nobody sensible is saying this is the second apocalypse.  

• Like 2

Reasonable to take precautions - testing and quarantine from affected areas - but nothing to panic about. No suggestion existing vaccines won’t stop you getting ill, and here and UK we’re 90%+ aren’t we? I can see why places like Austria might be worried though - 35% unvaxxed and potentially susceptible could mean health services fall over, given that in the first wave when we weren’t vaxxed at all it only needed about 3% to get infected (before total lockdown) to see scenes from Italy looking like warzones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Trying to keep it out is pointless.

It will get here anyway (if it isn’t already)

Get your jabs. Stay home if you want. Wear masks if you want.

Everyone should have their own choice if they want to take precautions or not, no one should have restrictions forced onto them anymore.

It will Be interesting to see what Alf says.  If there are any restrictions on travel to and from the UK people will freak.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I’d speculate that the reason for said hype is we’ve all learnt what happens with a new variant when it gets a foothold. 

By taking sensible precaution quickly, we can give the scientists the weeks they need to ascertain what is actually going on. 

https://www.science.org/content/article/patience-crucial-why-we-won-t-know-weeks-how-dangerous-omicron

The scientific theories at the moment suggest that transmissibility will be much higher, because some of the mutations we have seen before, in more transmissible variants. They need to actually test that for real, which takes time.

Vaccine companies have already said that within a matter of months, they can be distributing a tweaked formula against a changed spike. Nobody sensible is saying this is the second apocalypse.  

Thank for sharing the article. Very balanced. 

Agree a proportionate response might be called for at this time, but calls for locking borders, banning all international travel and wfh isn’t in my mind (things I have read today, not necesaarily related to IoM). 

Edited by 747-400
  • Like 1

There was an article somewhere that mentioned this mutation could render vaccines less effective, but anti viral drugs would still be effective.

..........don't be lazy Cheese. Go and find it.

Source - Guardian

What about existing drugs?

Scientists expect that recently approved antiviral drugs, such as Merck’s pill, will work as effectively against the new variant because these drugs do not target the spike protein – they work by stopping the virus from replicating. However, there is a bigger risk that monoclonal antibodies, such as Regeneron’s treatment, could fail or partially fail because they target parts of the virus that will have mutated.