IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Or maybe they’re just the opposite of Quayle and Ashford. Both of whom were, on the surface, reasonably calm and sounded as though they really seemed to be on top of all this (whereas, behind the scenes they fumbled and jumbled and worked through personal issues in a very egotistical and bombastic fashion). Maybe they are not slick because they’re not slick people, but it would appear that behind the scenes, they are talking to, and negotiating with a diverse range of organisations. 

Oh it wasn't really the manner that I was criticising (though he should stop taking off and putting on his glasses so much) but the content - where the dynamic duo were even worse of course.  You got the impression that no one had done a 'what if' flowchart for the various situations when people were travelling to the Island - hence the confusion. 

I suspect a lot of the problem is that the decisions are being made by committees full of the people who have to be there because they are Important, rather than the people who actually have to implement what is decided.

• Like 1

Here's Rachel's blog on Omicron and the implications for health on the Island:

https://rachomics.blog/2021/11/26/how-might-the-b-1-1-529-variant-affect-the-isle-of-man/

One thing she points out is that Manx Care actually removed the requirement for a PCR test and isolation for patients being admitted for surgery etc on the very same day.  An (unreliable) LFD test would now enough.

In other words, just as everywhere in the world was ramping up precautions, they decided to relax them.  The incompetence of these people knows no bounds (this was raised at the media conference but Cannan didn't seem to know what was going on).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

https://rachomics.blog/2021/11/26/how-might-the-b-1-1-529-variant-affect-the-isle-of-man/

One thing she points out is that Manx Care actually removed the requirement for a PCR test and isolation for patients being admitted for surgery etc on the very same day.  An (unreliable) LFD test would now enough.

In other words, just as everywhere in the world was ramping up precautions, they decided to relax them.  The incompetence of these people knows no bounds (this was raised at the media conference but Cannan didn't seem to know what was going on).

Just when you thought she had gone away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Like a broken record. 

The reports coming out from experts in South Africa and WHO are that it's mild flu in the vaccinated. Stop trying to panic everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Like a broken record. 

The reports coming out from experts in South Africa and WHO are that it's mild flu in the vaccinated. Stop trying to panic everyone. 

In a tremendously small sample size people, who are mostly university students per the WHO. https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-2021-update-on-omicron

In a time frame before anyone tends to get seriously ill with COVID. 

The doctor who has said they’re all not that ill has said that she could well be proven wrong in two weeks time. She also runs a private practice in Pretoria, suggesting most of her patients, the majority of whom were males under 40 and over half were vaccinated may not be representative of the wider scope of things. 

It’s simply too soon to tell. Hence why Governments worldwide are applying lessons learnt and being a bit more careful for a few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

A good scientist extrapolating based on a knowledge of the virus and the Island is hardly a bad thing.

Have you actually read the blog? Or decried it as bloody wimmin talking out of turn as many do?

Please don’t accuse me of sexism. That’s offensive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Please don’t accuse me of sexism. That’s offensive.

I shall save you the trouble, shall I?

In conclusion, the Isle of Man needs to start preparing for B.1.1.529 Omicron coming to our shores, sooner rather than later. We can’t keep relying on the UK to do the work for us. We shouldn’t be work-shy in doing our own Island-specific contingency planning for things needed in the face of a vaccine evading variant like ramping up PCR testing to thousands per day, assessing testing methods to make sure they work for the application we want to use them for, and vaccinating as much as possible.

In light of a potential new problem, where do you find flaws in these suggestions for being suitably prepared?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What trouble are saving me?

Fine words butter no parsnips.

Well. Given your tone, it would be fair to assume you’d not read the article, given your clear disdain for the author in question. It may have saved you a hardship of having to get all the way through it. 

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And why she has to include her vendetta against David Ashcroft in all this is beyond me.

It detracts from anything serious she may have to say.

The only sign of Ashy I could see on the page is a previous article which dates back to February. Which was a fair response to a Minister’s comments to Manx Radio. Have I missed something there? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1